The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

2 hours ago, GrimCityGirl said:

I never understood the love for the adventure, outside of my general AVA & Tom bashing, it just literally doesn't appeal to me by itself. it's boring. it's the first AVA song I heard and I instantly didn't like it and I still don't get why people do. unless they rewrote the whole song entirely I don't see how it would have worked in blink.

I wonder if Always would have done a lot better being the follow up single to I Miss You and they just skipped Down entirely. It's one of the singles you hear the least by them on the radio and stuff... probably because it's not a great song (personal opinion) but it isn't the catchiest 'single' style track either really, Always fits that much better. Genuinely don't know why they released Down at all.

I wouldn't go nearly as far as to say i love (or ever loved) it. But i certainly gained a certain amount of enjoyment from it. There's something kind of uplifting about it, which i suppose is something Tom was and is aiming for with AVA.

In regards to Always following I Miss You, that would've made a lot of sense i think. I've never liked Down, i almost always skip it when it comes on. For me, the only thing that saves it slightly is i quite enjoy playing it on bass. But other than that, it doesnt actually feel like a blink song to me. And the video was just weird too, never understood how it tied into the song. Ah well.

• Like 1

Not a Tombot, but I love all 5 albums AVA released. 95% of their song catalogs are songs I don't skip. I love how positive the lyrics were (while they were pretentious). WDNTW was a great positive spacy album, I-Empire was a great stadium rock album, Love 1&2 were good astronaut rock albums, and TDW is Ilan's greatest work yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GrimCityGirl said:

I wonder if Always would have done a lot better being the follow up single to I Miss You and they just skipped Down entirely. It's one of the singles you hear the least by them on the radio and stuff... probably because it's not a great song (personal opinion) but it isn't the catchiest 'single' style track either really, Always fits that much better. Genuinely don't know why they released Down at all. 

I completely agree with this. Always should have been fucking huge. Down kinda messed up the momentum of the album/singles push, especially with the wack video. Always had a great video, is very much in the style people expected from Blink (but with enough new touches to make it interesting), and I think it could've been a giant hit if it came out after I Miss You. I might be remembering wrong, but it seems like they just kinda released it and let that era trail off pretty quickly.

I personally think Down is the better song, and the better single than Always.  Though honestly, I think Violence should have been the 3rd single.  There really isn't many songs like Violence out here, and it is oddly catchy, and honestly I think it could have done quite well on the radio, especially in terms of reaching out to more people to show what blink was capable of.  Only thing is, in 2004, I can see how Violence might not have fit along the current songs in the genre.  It feels like a song that if it was released around 2007-2008 it would have done fantastic on the radio, based on what was big at that time.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I completely agree with this. Always should have been fucking huge. Down kinda messed up the momentum of the album/singles push, especially with the wack video. Always had a great video, is very much in the style people expected from Blink (but with enough new touches to make it interesting), and I think it could've been a giant hit if it came out after I Miss You. I might be remembering wrong, but it seems like they just kinda released it and let that era trail off pretty quickly.

Can't argue with this at all. It was (and still is) a fantastic song. And - as you mention - the video was brilliant too

34 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I personally think Down is the better song, and the better single than Always.  Though honestly, I think Violence should have been the 3rd single.  There really isn't many songs like Violence out here, and it is oddly catchy, and honestly I think it could have done quite well on the radio, especially in terms of reaching out to more people to show what blink was capable of.  Only thing is, in 2004, I can see how Violence might not have fit along the current songs in the genre.  It feels like a song that if it was released around 2007-2008 it would have done fantastic on the radio, based on what was big at that time.

Down doesn't really have that 'big hook' or catchy part imo. Also not sold on the idea of Violence being a single either, it's a great 'fan' song but i doubt it would've done well on the radio. The static bit between the intro and the verse might confuse some people, especially if they're just tuning in at that exact point. As with Down, it doesn't really have a catch or a hook that gets stuck in your head, which is what radio songs are all about i think.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Taco MacArthur said:

Down doesn't really have that 'big hook' or catchy part imo. Also not sold on the idea of Violence being a single either, it's a great 'fan' song but i doubt it would've done well on the radio. The static bit between the intro and the verse might confuse some people, especially if they're just tuning in at that exact point. As with Down, it doesn't really have a catch or a hook that gets stuck in your head, which is what radio songs are all about i think.

Personally, I don't think Always has a big hook either, its not a particularly catchy song in my opinion, and frankly is one of my least favorite songs on the self titled album (though I do love the whole album through and through, it just ranks among the lowest songs on the album for me).  I think Down is much more powerful and more catchy, though again, neither song is particularly catchy.  Which again just feeds into my thought that neither were really good choices for singles.  If we were going just by catchiness, than I suppose Asthenia would have been the best 3rd single.  But I'm going for a song that was ahead of the curve, could have reached more listeners, and potentially had an impact on the type of music that many stations were playing, then I think Violence fits that bill all day.

36 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Personally, I don't think Always has a big hook either, its not a particularly catchy song in my opinion, and frankly is one of my least favorite songs on the self titled album (though I do love the whole album through and through, it just ranks among the lowest songs on the album for me).  I think Down is much more powerful and more catchy, though again, neither song is particularly catchy.  Which again just feeds into my thought that neither were really good choices for singles.  If we were going just by catchiness, than I suppose Asthenia would have been the best 3rd single.  But I'm going for a song that was ahead of the curve, could have reached more listeners, and potentially had an impact on the type of music that many stations were playing, then I think Violence fits that bill all day.

I dunno, i find the little drum fill into 'come one let me kiss you, hold...' bit to be really catchy. I can see where you coming from about Down being catchy too I suppose (i'm assuming you're referencing the 'Down down down, down down down down' bit?) But for me it's more lazy lyric writing than catchy. I agree though Asthenia (without the 50 second intro for radio purposes) would've been a great 3rd single. That or Obvious if you're going for a powerful song. Took me a while to appreciate Obvious but i really dig it now, one of my favourites of that album. Still not sold on Violence having single potential, i think it might - even now - be a bit too out there. Having said that, I dont actually listen to the radio so i know nothing haha!

I think Easy Target would have made a better single than Down, or Violence for that matter. there's not many 'oh thats definitely a single' tracks outside of Not Now, Feeling This and I Miss You. but, if they had worked the instrumental side of I'm Lost Without You differently (i.e., made it a bit more straight forward and less fucking strange) then that potentially could have been a big soppy single for them. I'm glad that didn't happen though, I fuckin' hate that song as it is. 

21 minutes ago, GrimCityGirl said:

I think Easy Target would have made a better single than Down, or Violence for that matter. there's not many 'oh thats definitely a single' tracks outside of Not Now, Feeling This and I Miss You. but, if they had worked the instrumental side of I'm Lost Without You differently (i.e., made it a bit more straight forward and less fucking strange) then that potentially could have been a big soppy single for them. I'm glad that didn't happen though, I fuckin' hate that song as it is. 

Oh shit! I forgot about Easy Target! That definitely should have been a single. Or All of This, simply because of Rob Smith, that would've been massive I reckon. 

Can't get on board with hating ILWY, that song is fucking sublime! Especially the drum solo at the end. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, M!ke said:

Personally, I don't think Always has a big hook either, its not a particularly catchy song in my opinion, and frankly is one of my least favorite songs on the self titled album 

That's very interesting! I've always thought it was easily the most poppy/catchy song on the album, and with different production styles wouldn't have been out of place on Enema.