The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

53 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I really wish I was in Europe or Australia for any of those live acoustic performances.  One of the best things they did post-reunion for sure.  I hope we see more of that at blink shows moving forward.

DefiniteIy one of the best things. I've been at three concerts in Europe at that time, unfortunately they didnt play any acoustic at those shows I attented. I have high hopes that we're going to see more acoustic stuff at live shows with Matt.

9 hours ago, M!ke said:

Tom is all sorts of fucked up.  I'm sure depression has at least at some point been a part of that, in fact given how drunk he would be getting at any given concert in recent years, its hard not to imagine depression playing a part in the guy's life.  Alcohol itself is a depressant.

Alcohol is a depressant drug, but the word "depressant" in this case doesn't refer to depressed mood, it just means neurotransmitter levels are lowered. Yes, many alcoholics are depressed (and vice versa), but that's not why it's categorized as a depressant.

• Like 2

Yeah, alcohol "depresses" you, neurologically speaking, but that has nothing to do with a psychological state of depression.

It's most likely that Tom gets trashed for the same reason most functional people get trashed. You have less inhibitions, and have more fun. Since he is embarrassed of blink, drinking probably helped him get through the shows lol.

34 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Yeah, alcohol "depresses" you, neurologically speaking, but that has nothing to do with a psychological state of depression.

It's most likely that Tom gets trashed for the same reason most functional people get trashed. You have less inhibitions, and have more fun. Since he is embarrassed of blink, drinking probably helped him get through the shows lol.

Well it's a little more complicated than that. There are ties with alcohol and enhancing depression. Alcohol inhibits you in the fact that it inhibits the firing of neurons and neurotransmitters traveling between neurons. For most this just means you have less inhibitions and have more fun, but for people that have depression or are prone to depression, alcohol can trigger or enhance a psychological depressive state that may take a couple weeks to get back to where you were. Also, a lot of people that are depressed drink. But yea, the fact that they call alcohol a depressant has nothing to do with depression and is related to how our neurons interact with each other when we've been drinking.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Well it's a little more complicated than that. There are ties with alcohol and enhancing depression. Alcohol inhibits you in the fact that it inhibits the firing of neurons and neurotransmitters traveling between neurons. For most this just means you have less inhibitions and have more fun, but for people that have depression or are prone to depression, alcohol can trigger or enhance a psychological depressive state that may take a couple weeks to get back to where you were. Also, a lot of people that are depressed drink. But yea, the fact that they call alcohol a depressant has nothing to do with depression and is related to how our neurons interact with each other when we've been drinking.

Tom shows no signs of being depressed imo. if we're going to play psychologist, then he probably has ADD or some form of bipolar.

Alcohol does have ties with psychological depression, but I wouldn't say it is a root cause by any means. And when you say it's a depressant it's not referring to psychological depression in any way.

Like I said, I think when Tom drinks he does it to have fun, because he's embarrassed to be in blink-182, because A) his ego won't allow him to have perceived success in outlets he doesn't completely control and B ) he has the stupid view that blink is completely juvenile and below his "artistic sensibilities" *jerkoff motion*

• Like 2

Alcohol abuse can cause depression, while that abuse can also be only a symptom associated with depression. Alcoholism vs problem drinking, respectively. It's difficult to tell either way, but he definitely could have stood to drink a lot fucking less over the years. I feel like drinking to the point of making an ass of yourself and then continuing to do so repeatedly indicates that you've stopped caring and just want to be drunk, and it probably hurt him in the long run.

Also agreed that depressant =/= makes you depressed, you crackers

I don't think alcohol is the cause of his depression either. But I can't help but feeling he is depressed because he fears he will never be able to top blink and that gets to him because he wants to be a more "serious" artist when that is not who is he. Tom either has trouble accepting that or does not want to. 

I also believe that he has never admitted to himself he has wanted out of blink since 2004. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Clarke said:

I have trouble believing that alcohol triggers the depressive mindset, HOWEVER, a few girls that I've talked to have had experiences where they would drink, start crying, get confused, and ask "why am I crying??"

I've dealt with it and it's not that I'm immediately just depressed, it's more that I'll go on a heavy night of drinking, feel pretty down while I'm drunk, but then after I'm really depressed for about a week or two. It was way worse when I was in high school and now I don't have to worry about it making me depressed whenever I drink. But there's a reason psychiatrists recommend you not to drink if you're depressed? Like it's a common thing that people that struggle with depression have depressive episodes triggered by alcohol.

and yea Ghent, my post didn't have anything to do with tom. I just wanted to go deeper into your explanation that depressant does not equal depression, but point out that they are connected.

• Like 1

As someone who suffers from both anxiety and depression - alcohol just puts me in a better fuckin' mood. doesn't bum me out for weeks on end afterwards either. I don't drink as frequently or as heavily as other people who suffer with mental health issues. if I drink, it's for social events, and I have fun. I'm probably against logic and biology in that, but that's just me.

I'm with Ghent. He's not drinking because he's depressed, he's just embarrassed and gets trashed to cope with it. I think he was bordering on alcoholic status before but that's probably because of sheer volume and excess from loads of shows in short succession. 

He also totally has ADD. like, without a doubt.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Can't he just drink because he wants to have fun doing something he is embarrassed by?

Alcohol use doesn't have to signify some huge underlying disorder you know.

If the conversation is whether his depression brought some of this on, and we're also saying "wow he drank a lot", it's a pretty simple connection to make between depression and drinking too much as a symptom.

Of course, none of us have any fucking idea, at all.

• Like 1

I can't believe anyone genuinely thinks Tom is depressed.  From my experience with people dealing with genuine depression, theyre stuck in a rut of feeling useless, they don't want to go out, they don't want to do anything,  because they can't, feel like they're not worth it and there's no point.

Tom on the other hand is constantly raving about how amazing his work is and how it's going to transform the world. Deluded? Yes. Depressed? Don't see it myself.

• Like 3

Like Kay and Beth said, these are anecdotes. Alcohol may make some people more depressed like me and be therapeutic for others like Kay. Depression is so hard to study because it affects everyone differently and be able to cope with it differently. Essentially, we have no fucking idea why tom was drinking at every show. It could have been to have fun, ease stage fright butterflies, ease depression. Who knows so there's no reason to speculate on it. The only thing we can really say tom has is add because he admits to it. Also, typically people drink for fun so we should probably go with that unless there's evidence to suggest he was doing so for other reasons

55 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Can't he just drink because he wants to have fun doing something he is embarrassed by?

Alcohol use doesn't have to signify some huge underlying disorder you know.

That's a funny thing that seems to come up here every once in awhile for some reason. I love getting drunk and partying, so do a ton of people (including Tom). It's normal!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

That's a funny thing that seems to come up here every once in awhile for some reason. I love getting drunk and partying, so do a ton of people (including Tom). It's normal!

haha I know...this conversation has happened many times before. some people here just don't view alcohol as a casual substance. they treat it like he's shooting heroin before shows.

I totally totally understand that it can be abused and cause major problems for people. but Tom drinking before and during shows is not an indication of anything like that.

he also shows no signs of being depressed or abusing alcohol any other time. so if you want to complain that it makes him play shitty, that's fair, but to diagnose him as some kind of alcoholic drug fiend is a major exaggeration.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, M!ke said:

For example, I suspect he wasn't drunk here:

He may not be hilarious in this clip, but I legitimately like how he sounded.  If he played like that every night, well maybe I'd actually be a little disappointed to see him go now.  I would absolutely take a performance like this every night over his drunken slurring and out of key singing if that meant no more funny Tom, then so be it, small price to pay in my opinion.

In my opinion, the best post-reunion Tom we got was European tour 2012

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tcn182 said:

In my opinion, the best post-reunion Tom we got was European tour 2012

yup, or australian tour 2013 (aside from conspiring to kick travis out of the band). he seemed the most sober and more excited about blink. after DED it all kinda went downhill