The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Just now, JarJarBlinks said:

^^^this X1000.  I think this is the majority of Blink fans that exist in the real world.  Anyone I know that is a casual fan in my personal life actually listens to the band again because of this album and was always confused by the recent Tom shenanigans.  

The hyper-critical fans just tend to huddle together on messageboards and reddit and bitch and moan about the glory days, and are probably the same people who hate The Force Awakens. 

Hey, you take that back. I hate Reddit and I thought The Force Awakens was good! (Rogue One was better)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

And no one is saying California is a life changing album, the best of their career, magnificent, etc. etc. either...It's just a fun album that is enjoyable as fuck. Brought new life to the band.

When I don't like things I don't camp out whining about them on message boards. There are people here who really enjoy making the same anti-California talking points. smells a little tombotty to me, honestly.

Exactly.

4 hours ago, Ghent said:

And no one is saying California is a life changing album, the best of their career, magnificent, etc. etc. either...It's just a fun album that is enjoyable as fuck. Brought new life to the band.

When I don't like things I don't camp out whining about them on message boards. There are people here who really enjoy making the same anti-California talking points. smells a little tombotty to me, honestly.

Haha it all comes back to Tom with you. It's always your excuse. I love Tom but I don't want him anywhere near this band right now. He would sound fucking horrible on most of the California songs.

Also, the same could be said for the pro-California crowd who keep saying how much they like it. This is a blink discussion board and this pissing contest is probably going to stick around for a while now.

3 hours ago, Champ182 said:

Haha I think it all depends on who you talk to outside of the board. It might seem like just some weirdo obsessive people here if your real life friends all love the album, but it's the opposite for me to be honest. Me and my friends have been big Blink fans since we got into music and I can't think of one who was stoked about California. Weirdly enough, I'm probably the most positive about it out of anyone I've talked to!

This is exactly like my group of friends. All of us are pretty big blink fans and a few casual fans and all of them don't really like the album or even listen to it anymore. Like you said, it all comes down to who you speak to outside of these boards.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dylan_ said:

Haha it all comes back to Tom with you. It's always your excuse. I love Tom but I don't want him anywhere near this band right now. He would sound fucking horrible on most of the California songs.

Also, the same could be said for the pro-California crowd who keep saying how much they like it. This is a blink discussion board and this pissing contest is probably going to stick around for a while now.

Yeah and we know what sort of shit he'd have written for it. I may dislike California but its miles better than Demos Odds and Ends. what a shitshow. 

Funny thing:

• If you are constantly sucking blink's dicks and Feldmann's dick (no matter what they do), you're spot on because.... because... the number one on the charts, man!!! The selling numbers!!!! The Grammys!!! But...
  • If you are responding to that with an opinion (and some known facts) that, being the opposite, is perceived as negative, you'e a Tombot.
  • If you say constantly that this album is golden and all, you're spot on because... the numbes, mate!. If you respond to that with an opposite opinion, you're always repeating yourself with negative crap (and also, you're a Tombot).
  • If you show any bit of criticism, and don't want to swallow it all as it comes on the plate, then you are a Tombot too.

Hahahahaha. I love this boards.

*Bonus track:

• For all the love shown about California on that small biased (with not enough options) poll, it was valid. You know, the majority of the fans loved it.
  • For the critical reception of the album, 10 cats on a forum don't matter. Who the fuck are you, guys?.

This is Blink 182 Online. No place for grey scale. You have to be black or white.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

^^^this X1000.  I think this is the majority of Blink fans that exist in the real world.  Anyone I know that is a casual fan in my personal life actually listens to the band again because of this album and was always confused by the recent Tom shenanigans.  

The hyper-critical fans just tend to huddle together on messageboards and reddit and bitch and moan about the glory days, and are probably the same people who hate The Force Awakens. 

Have you and Ghent ever sucked each others dicks? serious question right here.

• Like 3

did you guys realize that times change? just think about it: the same songs would get dfferent reactions in 2001 or in 2016. the band can be the same, the style can be the same, even your taste can be the same, but the feeling, the connection between you and those songs will have a totally different basis.

the main factors are:
 - your age,
 - the technical development.

obviously you will connect differently to a joke song when you are 16, or when you are 31. but you can get over it, because you are a smart person, and can handle it by calling it nostalgic, or maybe you do want to relive those teenage years once in a while... well, obviously if you never want to look back at those years, you'll probably won't find that style entertaining anymore... (but it was just an example of a teenage-y joke song. every type of song works in a different manner.) the point is: it is your own "fault" if you cannot connect to the same type of thing in the same way anymore.

but there's a more complicated factor, let's call it web 2.0... we are living in a world where everyone can get information on everything at the moment when it happens, and everyone can spread their own opinion publicly instantly. the internet wasn't this influential 10-15 years ago... isn't it strange, that the last album you really like was made in 2003 or so? it was made in an age where the communication on the internet was basically one-way. you just got info bits days or weeks after something happened, you didn't spend 12 hours a day online, your social life happened offline, and all those information from the internet wasn't that important. you weren't part of the music creation, the band didn't talk to you directly (they talked to a camera knowing that the film won't be released earlier than a week). there was this mysterious wall between you and your idols... that wall was teared down when your favorite band started the direct communication with you on the net. previously they talked to 10 fans at a show, or their label made surveys with a base of 200 people. now they can access the opinion of millions with a single click. there's no mystery no more, everyone knows that bands are racing to satisfy the biggest chunk of their fanbase. and you (we) are probably not in the biggest chunk... and even if you like the end result, you know the process, and you hate the process. it turns everything to a sadder reality... so that's it, the internet ruined everything. the opinions of the masses are leading us to the cheap style of the masses. it always be a dissonance for the "elite". the best you can do is to lower your expectations, and look for those points of the "elected" product that can satisfy you. if you look at the whole thing or only the dissatisfying parts, you will hate this new era.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ghent said:

A large portion of their fanbase isn't pleased? As in like 10 people on blink-182online who tend to hate everything and a group of loyal tombots?

Some of you guys revel in criticizing new era blink. As Zoltan suggested, you pretty much lay bait just so someone like me will defend the album and you can whine about the same talking points again.

There you go again with the bait. What I bolded is 100% pure bullshit, but if me or anyone tries to challenge you on it, you run away, or accuse people of "circular debates". Kind of funny how you literally lay out bait and then suggest that its others that do so only a paragraph later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zoltan said:

did you guys realize that times change? just think about it: the same songs would get dfferent reactions in 2001 or in 2016. the band can be the same, the style can be the same, even your taste can be the same, but the feeling, the connection between you and those songs will have a totally different basis.

the main factors are:
 - your age,

obviously you will connect differently to a joke song when you are 16, or when you are 31. but you can get over it, because you are a smart person, and can handle it by calling it nostalgic, or maybe you do want to relive those teenage years once in a while... well, obviously if you never want to look back at those years, you'll probably won't find that style entertaining anymore... (but it was just an example of a teenage-y joke song. every type of song works in a different manner.) the point is: it is your own "fault" if you cannot connect to the same type of thing in the same way anymore.

but there's a more complicated factor, let's call it web 2.0... we are living in a world where everyone can get information on everything at the moment when it happens, and everyone can spread their own opinion publicly instantly. the internet wasn't this influential 10-15 years ago... isn't it strange, that the last album you really like was made in 2003 or so? it was made in an age where the communication on the internet was basically one-way. you just got info bits days or weeks after something happened, you didn't spend 12 hours a day online, your social life happened offline, and all those information from the internet wasn't that important. you weren't part of the music creation, the band didn't talk to you directly (they talked to a camera knowing that the film won't be released earlier than a week). there was this mysterious wall between you and your idols... that wall was teared down when your favorite band started the direct communication with you on the net. previously they talked to 10 fans at a show, or their label made surveys with a base of 200 people. now they can access the opinion of millions with a single click. there's no mystery no more, everyone knows that bands are racing to satisfy the biggest chunk of their fanbase. and you (we) are probably not in the biggest chunk... and even if you like the end result, you know the process, and you hate the process. it turns everything to a sadder reality... so that's it, the internet ruined everything. the opinions of the masses are leading us to the cheap style of the masses. it always be a dissonance for the "elite". the best you can do is to lower your expectations, and look for those points of the "elected" product that can satisfy you. if you look at the whole thing or only the dissatisfying parts, you will hate this new era.

I agree, funny I just read this article before I came on here and it's very similar to that.. note that I don't like nin but the guy has a great point

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/nins_trent_reznor_internet_created_a_toxic_environment_that_led_to_boring_safe_music.html

Although, overall, I agree with what Zoltan and that article says, I'd call it a little bit lame (no offense, mate). I don't want to give artists the excuse of the internet being like the enormous force which leads them to create music to please the mases. I mean, come on.

If so, that's not a new thing. Since the 60s, companies and fans themselves have been a huge force against creativity: what the lbel expects, and what your fan base expects. But mainly labels. I'll go, again, with a Beach Boys example. When they released Pet Sounds, the album was a total commercial failure (minus in UK). The label, Capitol records, refused to promote it as the previous albums (because there was no girls, cars, beach themed songs anymore and, under their opinion, that would scare the hell out of the fans), and instead of it, the suit dressed people at the company decided to just release a greatest hits collection (plenty of summer classic songs) and promote the hell out of it.

The fans? The fans maig have been a little bit confused by the twist in sound, sure, but overall they seemed to be understanding and, as I said, in UK and central Europe, it had a very good reception.

So, that fact, the "please the fans" things and "don't fuck with the formula" thing is old as fuck, but I don't take it as an excuse for bands to acomodate on the easy going trademark sound in order to achieve a comfortable (bue mediocre) artistic spot. If they want, they can still develop their sound. But to blame the internet is a lame excuse.

4 hours ago, Zoltan said:

the main factors are:
 - your age,

Of course people are going to react differently to a song in 2001 than they did in 2016, but a real band, one that is honest, shouldn't be writing the same music in 2016 that they wrote in 2001, and you might say "well Oliver that is what they do" Yeah, bullshit. Ton of bands maintain success as they grow, it is what fucking Blink use to do as well, if you remember the jump from TOYPAJ to Untitled.

As far as writing what makes fucking money and not what is honest. Of course that is what they are doing, they brought in the biggest writer for hire sch long in the industry. Now you might say "But Oliver labels want to write what sells". Yeah, bullshit again, many bands have tons of creative control over what they write, if they are fucking good enough. Look at the Foo Fighters!

So this idea that one should just accept some nostalgia act written by some saw'd off half witted writer for hire is BULLSHIT. If you REALLY respected Blink, you'd demand MORE. Not just look at fucking charts and awards shows and exclaim "things are going great!"

• Like 2

Look, if you love the new Blink album, awesome! That is cool man. I find zero fault.

But if you can't at least UNDERSTAND the point that some people don't like writer for hire's coming in and co writing Blink material that makes you shallow as fuck. I am not saying you have to agree with it, but to not at least say "Ok he doesn't want a Blink album written by some saw'd off prick I can respect that".....is stupid as hell.

Instead people want to dismiss people who have issues with it as a small group of tombots. LOL

• Like 1

Popular music has always catered "to the masses." That's why it's called popular music. I don't think the Internet changed that at all. But I do think it changed the way we access music--it makes it much easier, obviously. That includes finding underground music. I also think the Internet makes it much easier to customize your own music world, especially because the radio is no longer the primary source for listening. If catering to the masses was more prevalent in any era, I would think it would be during the radio era, when there was no such thing as Pandora for listeners or Bandcamp for artists and radio was all there was for both groups. 

Blink is under the BMG Label. Their top-priority demographic is most likely teens and young adults. SOOHM has that main riff that sounds very similar to WMAA. They're banking on the "pop-iness" of the song to appeal to young people, or at the very least the label is trying to replicate the success that WMAA once had. From a business standpoint it makes logical sense, but as a fan, it kind of makes me go "this is pretty wack."

Personally I liked the direction blink was going during the untitled era. They were making music that sounded unique and was actually good. Then it all got fucked up by the break-up and now it just hasn't been the same. I think I've moved on at this point.  

• Like 3