The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

Look, if you love the new Blink album, awesome! That is cool man. I find zero fault.

But if you can't at least UNDERSTAND the point that some people don't like writer for hire's coming in and co writing Blink material that makes you shallow as fuck. I am not saying you have to agree with it, but to not at least say "Ok he doesn't want a Blink album written by some saw'd off prick I can respect that".....is stupid as hell.

Instead people want to dismiss people who have issues with it as a small group of tombots. LOL

that's what i was talking about: your opinion on the music doesn't come from the music. it comes from unnecessary meta info.

if the data flow rate would still be on the level of 2001, you wouldn't know shit about feldmann. you wouldn't even think the producer was with them constantly and instructed them. you wouldn't call him co-writer. you would just listen to an album by your favorite band... would you think it has flaws? obviously. (or maybe not. maybe you wouldn't have learnt all those shit over the years that made you this critical.) but i doubt you would enlarge the flaws - you just do that today because the unnecessary news from the internet made you frustrated.

anyway, when you talk about other bands ("Ton of bands maintain success as they grow") you forget one thing: you don't follow those other bands as close as blink, you don't know all the "unnecessary news", you are just a regular listener... and if you think about it, as a regular listener you believe these other bands are ok, they are honest, they are loyal to their fans and their legacy... blink is an exception for you and for 1000-10000 other hardcore fans. but for the rest, millions of listeners, they are ok, they are still doing what they did, the legacy is still in good shape.

that's the way bands exist nowadays. i seriously don't think you can find a popular artist who doesn't have a group of hardcore fans who hate the new direction. (even deviant bands like radiohead serves the bigger chunk, not the hardcore base.) there was a time when these hardcore fans dictated the direction. now the regular listeners have a bigger impact on it...

as i wrote, your favorite bands don't care about your voice anymore. they don't look for the opinion of the most loyal fans, they have a new source to find out what people think about them. previously they got feedback from the most fanatic fans (when they met them face to face, or when they sent them a mail). then the world changed, the bands stopped this, because it became easier to get chart data from the masses on the internet... do you remember when blink used "pickrset" for a while? the idea was to create their setlist based on the crowd's wish. every one of us hoped the hardcore fans will vote in 10 deep cuts, then we had to face the fact that 20 hits and 0 deep cuts made the set.

it is the sad reality. if you want to be upset about it, then go for it, learn all the unnecessary news, and repeat them to make more people upset... i don't think it makes sense... or you can be the other type who knows these news too, but who knows that's always been the case, you just didn't really knew and talk about them. you can lock these irritating ideas out, you can forget the "meta info", and you can try to enjoy the product itself. i'm not saying it will be perfect, but at least your opinion will be more clear, not a mixture of system criticism and music criticism. (here's mine: i think the way bands work nowadays are absolutely unacceptable, they shit on the biggest fans, and it applies to blink-182. but it's a general problem. now let's see the new album without mixing in this faulty system: california is a great album. i like all those songs. the biggest problem that you can feel that the songs are rushed, almost every song has the same formula, and they don't have enough lyrics. these don't make an album unlistenable... neighborhoods was similar anyway. the meta info, the news on tom's behavior ruined it for some, but the album itself isn't that bad. it's not rushed, it's the opposite, it feels like they had too much time between songs.)

• Like 2

I'm not patient enough to read this long paragraph, but I'm sure if California was a fantastic record, a really good one, people would care little about the influence of Feldmann.

I didn't follow Blink that closely for quite a while but was nevertheless stoked there was gonna be a new album, and still I didn't like it right away. I only even realized the involvement of Feldmann after I heard the album. So can't be just that, sorry. Though I agree that our opinions and perceptions are influenced by different things. Just like everything Tom does has to be shit because it's Tom.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jane said:

I'm not patient enough to read this long paragraph, but I'm sure if California was a fantastic record, a really good one, people would care little about the influence of Feldmann.

I didn't follow Blink that closely for quite a while but was nevertheless stoked there was gonna be a new album, and still I didn't like it right away. I only even realized the involvement of Feldmann after I heard the album. So can't be just that, sorry. Though I agree that our opinions and perceptions are influenced by different things. Just like everything Tom does has to be shit because it's Tom.

Yeah shit was long as fuck

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jane said:

Exactly. Normally, I don't care that much about environmental shit when it comes to albums, unless one of this two situations happens:

- The album is amazing, like mindblowing and special.

- The album comes from a band I like, that made really good records in the past, and it just feels 'weird' to have a lower point on their career, sounding not 'real' or whatever you want to call that feel.

In both cases, I just want to know the hows, whens and whys. Just for fun, nothing obsessive. And that does not change the opinion. Just make it more understandable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Look, if you love the new Blink album, awesome! That is cool man. I find zero fault.

But if you can't at least UNDERSTAND the point that some people don't like writer for hire's coming in and co writing Blink material that makes you shallow as fuck. I am not saying you have to agree with it, but to not at least say "Ok he doesn't want a Blink album written by some saw'd off prick I can respect that".....is stupid as hell.

Instead people want to dismiss people who have issues with it as a small group of tombots. LOL

Well if that's the case most people shouldn't like enema, take off, or untitled then. Jerry Finn was the 4th member of blink, and helped out with the writing process. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blink182acti0n said:

Well if that's the case most people shouldn't like enema, take off, or untitled then. Jerry Finn was the 4th member of blink, and helped out with the writing process. 

This keeps getting said and until there is proof it remains a bad argument.

Provide me with the proof such a co writing credits or interviews that state that Jerry helped write the music. Otherwise shhhhhhhhhhh

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blink182acti0n said:

Majority of Enema was written well before Finn came onto the scene. I mentioned that in a topic the other day. Blink had 8-9 songs from that album on a demo in 1998. Mutt was written whilst Scott was still in the band. Finn changed blink but only by making them more polished. If Feldman was part of that, he'd have probably scrapped them demos like he did with the California demos. If Finn produced California, he'd probably suggest a few changes on the songs, nothing major. He would've kept them Alkaline Trio/+44 songs.

Jerry Finn might've been considered the 4th member by blink, but he'd never take it literal. Feldman takes it to a whole new level. As for the smiley face album, well Feldman literally forces blink to write songs as quick as possible. Took Tom forever to write Not Now. That studio would've been a warzone with Feldman and Tom there. Feldman has no patience, Finn did.

• Like 4