The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

11 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

So I put in TOYPAJ today, and when First Date was playing, I was hearing Skiba's version in my head and the one on the album seemed a bit foreign... so weird. Specifically the "Let's go, don't wait. This night's almost overrrr" part.

I've heard that song a million times with Tom singing it, but my brain has already replaced it with the most current version to the point of the old one sounding "off" despite being the original. 

Thankfully I enjoy both Tom and Matt's version lol.

You've listened to the live version that many times? 

I think I've only listened to live videos of new blink a handful of times, I can't remotely recall how Matt sounds without rewatching it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kay said:

You've listened to the live version that many times?  

Probably only 15-20 times which is why it caught me off guard! That part in particular he just sounds so much better to me the way he sings it as opposed to just saying it. (Which I can't say for all of his renditions)

And after listening to TOYPAJ again, it's still definitely my favorite blink-182 album front to back. 

Side note: As I was looking up live versions of this, I checked out the 2014 Reading Festival which apparently I've never seen this version (I don't really care for First Date at all at this point). Although Tom sounds pretty shitty, I am cracking up at his "Is it wrong if I want to fuck a man?" lyric change. LMAO.

So the guy who is maybe in blink 182, allegedly living in Oakland, that sounds vaguely like matt, knew that they were touring Europe, called into the Best Show again a few weeks ago. Quite weird. But by the end of the show, Tom stated he was "a blink 182 guy" after slagging Green Day and saying Blink 182 was better. So strange if this is true or not. But if Matt starts sing "My little ring ding" on this new tour, we'll know for sure.

Did anyone have ETGBF VIP package last summer? I'm already wondering if they'll let me run to the car after the meet & greet? My show is general admission so I definitely am not trying to hold all the merch and stuff I get signed in the front row of the pit for 4 hours, it would most likely all be ruined. 

8 hours ago, Kay said:

Hasnt matt been adding those 'head' yells for a while now? I do like them. 

I agree, I like it too.

I never remember my dreams, but this just reminded me that last night I had a dream where California Deluxe came out and on the second disc were a few new songs, a few pro-recorded live songs, and a few old blink songs rerecorded with Matt instead of Tom. I thought it was weird but I was still happy to have a studio recording of I Miss You with Matt's "inside my head" outro. Haha. That would be so fucking weird if they ever really did something like that.

I know Travis rerecorded Scott's drum part on Dammit but that's not the same thing.

4 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I agree, I like it too.

I never remember my dreams, but this just reminded me that last night I had a dream where California Deluxe came out and on the second disc were a few new songs, a few pro-recorded live songs, and a few old blink songs rerecorded with Matt instead of Tom. I thought it was weird but I was still happy to have a studio recording of I Miss You with Matt's "inside my head" outro. Haha. That would be so fucking weird if they ever really did something like that.

I know Travis rerecorded Scott's drum part on Dammit but that's not the same thing.

Eh leave the legacy alone. I prefer the original recording of Dammit too.

Listened to Neighborhoods all the way through today. Who was Blinks marketing manager back then? There is no reason After Midnight shouldn't have been huge. Not my favorite Blink song, but was radio friendly, especially in 2011 when a lot of more "rock" inspired songs were starting to hit radio (Fun, Mumford and Sons, Of Monsters and Men ect.) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vic vinegar said:

Eh leave the legacy alone. I prefer the original recording of Dammit too.

I'm not saying they should do this. It was just a weird dream haha.

1 hour ago, Cpen5311 said:

Wait, I thought the only song Travis rerecorded was Mutt? My understanding was that there are two versions of Dammit; the album and the single where the drums in the beginning are different.

If he did redo the dammit drums, what was it for? Greatest hits?

Oh maybe you're right, it might have just been that drum part at the beginning. Now I'm not sure...

I did some research, and found nothing.

But the Greatest Hits wikipedia page had some interesting stuff that I didn't know.

It says that on Greatest Hits album both Dammit and Josie are the single versions, and not the original Dude Ranch versions. I knew Dammit had the different drumming (at least in the beginning) but what's different about Josie? Does it just have a shorter intro or something?

It says that Man Overboard is the Tom Lord-Alge remix and not the version from TMTATS. What's the difference?

It also says that Not Now is an "alternate version" from the version that was a bonus track on some versions of the untitled album.

Can anyone tell me how these versions differ? I've never noticed anything different other than that Man Overboard doesn't have that split-second of the crowd fading out at the beginning.

The only obvious difference on the album to me is Down, because it actually has a proper ending instead of cutting off abruptly to lead in to The Fallen Interlude.

1 minute ago, vic vinegar said:

Yeah I got ya aha. I'm just saying I'd be pissed. Just release a live album or something if we must hear Matt singing the old songs.

If they released a live album but ditched the backing/click tracks and made the songs more interesting (like how they used to add extra interludes or play extended outros, or even just playing the songs faster than the album versions) to stand out more from the studio versions I would love that.

I have no hope of this, however.

A live DVD would be great though. I don't care as much about the backing tracks and stuff if it's a DVD. The fun of a DVD is watching the performance. But when it's an audio album and all I can do is listen, I want it to sound different enough to be worth listening to over the non-live versions. The Mark Tom and Travis Show succeeded at that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, amiller5706 said:

Listened to Neighborhoods all the way through today. Who was Blinks marketing manager back then? There is no reason After Midnight shouldn't have been huge. Not my favorite Blink song, but was radio friendly, especially in 2011 when a lot of more "rock" inspired songs were starting to hit radio (Fun, Mumford and Sons, Of Monsters and Men ect.) 

agreed. coulda been huge

5 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I did some research, and found nothing.

But the Greatest Hits wikipedia page had some interesting stuff that I didn't know.

It says that on Greatest Hits album both Dammit and Josie are the single versions, and not the original Dude Ranch versions. I knew Dammit had the different drumming (at least in the beginning) but what's different about Josie? Does it just have a shorter intro or something?

It says that Man Overboard is the Tom Lord-Alge remix and not the version from TMTATS. What's the difference?

It also says that Not Now is an "alternate version" from the version that was a bonus track on some versions of the untitled album.

Can anyone tell me how these versions differ? I've never noticed anything different other than that Man Overboard doesn't have that split-second of the crowd fading out at the beginning.

The only obvious difference on the album to me is Down, because it actually has a proper ending instead of cutting off abruptly to lead in to The Fallen Interlude.

i wrote that :P both dammit and josie were remixed by tom lord-alge for their single releases in the states (the other dude ranch singles, apple shampoo and dick lips, were australia only i believe). they sound brighter, louder, and the drums sound waaaay different than the dude ranch versions. josie's a little shorter on its intro too. 

as for man overboard and not now, someone else added that, and it's totally wrong. i've reverted it back to what i had originally written on there. there's no "alternate version" or "remix" of either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boxelder said:

agreed. coulda been huge

i wrote that :P both dammit and josie were remixed by tom lord-alge for their single releases in the states (the other dude ranch singles, apple shampoo and dick lips, were australia only i believe). they sound brighter, louder, and the drums sound waaaay different than the dude ranch versions. josie's a little shorter on its intro too. 

as for man overboard and not now, someone else added that, and it's totally wrong. i've reverted it back to what i had originally written on there. there's no "alternate version" or "remix" of either.

Okay cool I didn't think they were any different.

5 minutes ago, 2point5 said:

Just checked the track lists

Not Now on untitled is 4.09 long

Not Now on greatest hits is 4.24 long. 

you're right, and you just taught me something i never knew! just compared the two and indeed, the original version is shorter beginning in the bridge (mark's bass comes in earlier on the original). kind-of an odd edit on the original there. thanks for correcting me on this! 

• Like 2