The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

17 hours ago, Ghent said:

My thoughts- of course the new Goldfinger sounds a bit like new blink, 2 out of the 4 people who wrote new blink wrote and recorded the song. It's also the same genre of music.

The Goldfinger band member situation does seem sketchy, but I would have to understand their back story better before I judged. Butt hurt ex-band members are pretty common.

I don't know why anyone is jumping on Ghent for this, it's a perfectly reasonable statement to make. we don't know the back story so yeah, it's hard to judge. I mean, if you're of the perception that Feldmann is a soulless wacko then sure it might confirm that suspicion a bit more but it's not exactly grounded in anything, just some butt hurt ex band member, happens all the time. 

I personally think it sounds a lot like new blink but this is actually a totally sensible statement for ghent to make, no need to give him crap for it. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Kay said:

I don't know why anyone is jumping on Ghent for this, it's a perfectly reasonable statement to make. we don't know the back story so yeah, it's hard to judge. I mean, if you're of the perception that Feldmann is a soulless wacko then sure it might confirm that suspicion a bit more but it's not exactly grounded in anything, just some butt hurt ex band member, happens all the time. 

I personally think it sounds a lot like new blink but this is actually a totally sensible statement for ghent to make, no need to give him crap for it. 

#teamfeldybot #justkidding

1 hour ago, Kay said:

I think it just confirmed what we already knew. It's like saying Axl Rose is the good guy and that every member of GNR was making shit up about him.

• Like 1

Just now, _Kyle_ said:

I think it just confirmed what we already knew. It's like saying Axl Rose is the good guy and that every member of GNR was making shit up about him.

Well no not really, we have no reason to believe anything from Goldfingers history, or Feldmann as a person or really as a musician. We have a perspective based on his work as a producer and a songwriter, not as a human being. We may not like him for interfering in blink and coming across a little wacko but that in no way tells us he was an insane egomaniac to work with in a band. thats grasping at straws a little.

3 minutes ago, Kay said:

Well no not really, we have no reason to believe anything from Goldfingers history, or Feldmann as a person or really as a musician. We have a perspective based on his work as a producer and a songwriter, not as a human being. We may not like him for interfering in blink and coming across a little wacko but that in no way tells us he was an insane egomaniac to work with in a band. thats grasping at straws a little.

Huh?

...the basis is that people are saying it are people who have known him for decades and it matches up to his reputation that was slowly built after we read countless interviews where he displays such persona? How is that not legit?

4 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

Huh?

...the basis is that people are saying it are people who have known him for decades and it matches up to his reputation that was slowly built after we read countless interviews where he displays such persona? How is that not legit?

the people saying it are ex band members who are probably salty for various reasons. that doesn't validate this idea that he is definitely like anything, it could be that said drummers a total dick, we don't really know anything.

4 minutes ago, Kay said:

the people saying it are ex band members who are probably salty for various reasons. that doesn't validate this idea that he is definitely like anything, it could be that said drummers a total dick, we don't really know anything.

then are Mark and Travis "salty bandmembers" when it comes to Tom? Failedmann's reputation precedes him. It's not only the drummer too who has said this, as others have (since 2009 I would say). Imagine if Tom replaced everybody in Blink and we wrote off what Travis said.

2 hours ago, Kay said:

Yeah, I was trying to be reasonable, but the hate here is too thick

I honestly know nothing about Goldfinger other than they had an awesome song on Tony Hawk and their lead singer produced blink...If his old bandmates hate him because he pulled a Tom Delonge or something, then that is sketchy as fuck and makes me question him. But at the same time, the band has been dead since like the 90s. Need more details to judge.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

then are Mark and Travis "salty bandmembers" when it comes to Tom? Failedmann's reputation precedes him. It's not only the drummer too who has said this, as others have (since 2009 I would say). Imagine if Tom replaced everybody in Blink and we wrote off what Travis said.

Who in particular? and yes, if you took Travis's quote of 'fuck that guy' about Tom all those years ago and knew little else about Tom as a musician and bandmate, you could argue he was just salty.

10 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Yeah, I was trying to be reasonable, but the hate here is too thick

I honestly know nothing about Goldfinger other than they had an awesome song on Tony Hawk and their lead singer produced blink...If his old bandmates hate him because he pulled a Tom Delonge or something, then that is sketchy as fuck and makes me question him. But at the same time, the band has been dead since like the 90s. Need more details to judge.

I liked a lot of their old singles but knew nothing about them as a band really, I'd also need more info to judge. 

12 hours ago, Barry said:

That doesn't seem like he's super open about it. "Ego" and "Insanity" is pretty substandard information.

I meant he's very open about how he feels, not about their personal relationship details. Most former bandmates in situations like this just say "I wish them well" or whatever.

51 minutes ago, Kay said:

Who in particular? and yes, if you took Travis's quote of 'fuck that guy' about Tom all those years ago and knew little else about Tom as a musician and bandmate, you could argue he was just salty.

Okay. I can't find it, but when they went to Australia for a tour a few years back, all the other band members (there for Hello Destiny) called it insincere to the fans and "not Goldfinger". Basically Failedmann went and did that tour without any of them (with members of MxPx and Matchbook Romance), because he could apparently. That's when those members came out and said he was like this. Apparently things haven't changed between them.

Honestly don't really give a fuck about Goldfingers drama, just think it's embarrassing that Goldfinger and Blink have the exact same songs in 2017.

That and the sad state of pop-punk music in 2017.. Appearing to all be a giant cash grab of nostalgia because the music itself stinks. I mean we have Mike Herrera (mxpx) hopping in Goldfinger to write uninspired generic pop.. And we have Matt Skiba hopping in Blink 182 to cover John Feldmann uninspired generic pop.  It's pathetic and sad.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ghent said:

Or he likes writing music

No doubt. Ego, coked out or not, Feldmann is the only one really in this anymore. He might write poppy formulatic shit that many don't like but that's what he loves writing.  He's just doing what he loves, it's everyone else that is out of inspiration and lets him walk all over them/their ideas.

• Like 2