The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 hour ago, Nasa said:

Given the nature of Skiba and Mark and Travis' previous output--not the quality of the music, but the way they created it (i.e. not Feldmann factory style)--I don't think it's a stretch to say they're well aware of the type of music they're putting out in the Cali era. 

Sometimes you wonder though..

40 minutes ago, Blink 18Feldmann said:

Sometimes you wonder though..

I think they're aware of what they're doing. Skiba is doing this for profit and for having fun. Mark and Travis are doing this for profit, for having fun, and to feel and be relevant again (Mark). On face it may not seem like it because they can't really be like "we know we're not putting in the same amount of effort as before in terms of production" or anything like that, because that would be a stupid move, but given the existence of stuff like Untitled and +44 I think they're aware of how their creation process is different this time around and what it has lent itself to.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Smalls said:

No one is forcing you to buy it, dipshit.

Are you really that stupid?

You can be a pissed customer and not buy the latest. If the Hoover Vaccum cleaner makes a product you've been buying for 50 years and it is suddenly discontinued and replaced with a shitty model. That makes you a pissed customer.

Again, you that stupid?

I am allowed to be pissed at Blink AK3 or any of the members in the fucking band. To think otherwise is idolatry.

5 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

All I'm saying is IMO he's doing great in Blink (as much as anyone could expect) and I enjoy their new stuff. I'm sure it blows for hardcore Alk3 fans, and even more so if you dislike the new Blink material. 

That's fine to feel that way, but I don't agree when people feel this way AND THEN try to act like Skiba is intentionally writing dog shit pop hits for teens that he doesn't care about. IMO he's giving it all he's got, to the point of where he doesn't even want his old band to interfere. You guys just don't happen to like the final product which turns into painting him as some villain when he is far from that IMO.

You sure? Or maybe he signed a contract that he can't let it interfere.

That would make sense right? That would be clause 1 in the contract after dealing with Tom's shit for how many years?

• Like 1

Goddamnit. Just read the Skiba interview...

Fuck fuck fuck this sucks so hard. The Trio is one of my favorite bands ever and I'm watching it die because of this pop drivel. I hate everything about this new Blink. 

Pumping Remains right now - I've got a hole in my head the size of Lake Michigan...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

Yeah I agree, it's not a knock against them at all but on a mainstream recognition and/or financial success scale they did not go very far. Not many people know who they are. Dan and Derek play at small bars with 100 people there... 

Who gives a shit? This is exactly the metric I would expect people to judge by on this board...If you make enough money playing music to be comfortable then you're fucking golden...Have artistic integrity and do something meaningful. Mainstream success means fucking nothing. Man didn't we all learn this in middle school? 

Feldmann can put his money behind his hearse 4-5 decades from now...It won't mean nearly as much as the songs Alkaline Trio have written. 

EDIT: Sorry for double post. 

21 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

@Olidamus yeah who knows, but Matt seems like he actually shows up to work so I'm not sure if he would warrant a clause like that lol. He's also played some Alk3 shows since joining Blink, and told me originally he was writing for both bands.

I just find it a bit hard to believe that Matt would essentially abandon a band he has been in for decades now and seems far more comfortable in, to be a replacement in Blink, where he is out of his element, not free to expressive himself creatively etc.. It is likely the $cha ching$.

23 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

Matt's in it for the money. As is Mark and Travis. Otherwise there'd be a new band name. Instead they sold out.

Care to elaborate on how they sold out? They said they'd make new music and they followed through despite mixed results. Are you just throwing out buzzwords?

24 minutes ago, Barry said:

Care to elaborate on how they sold out? They said they'd make new music and they followed through despite mixed results. Are you just throwing out buzzwords?

Bro, they sold out. 'here's our band Mr. Feldmann, now maximize our profits. Oh btw we are shit out of ideas that sell anything so feel free to some popular co writers as well'

Oh and if you didn't notice, there's a California Deluxe album.

2 hours ago, Nasa said:

I think they're aware of what they're doing. Skiba is doing this for profit and for having fun. Mark and Travis are doing this for profit, for having fun, and to feel and be relevant again (Mark). On face it may not seem like it because they can't really be like "we know we're not putting in the same amount of effort as before in terms of production" or anything like that, because that would be a stupid move, but given the existence of stuff like Untitled and +44 I think they're aware of how their creation process is different this time around and what it has lent itself to.

I usually think this.. But sometimes I think they (Mark, Travis) are actually just out of touch.  I see Mark and Travis social media and interviews and get that vibe.

Matt totally knows this shit sucks though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barry said:

Yes I'll elaborate since you asked so nicely. In my OPINION they sold out by replacing a literal voice in the band, which in much humble opinion was part of blink's identity, more so than Scott's drumming, for instance. But to truly get to the bottom of this argument we have to define the definition of selling out. Which is all opinion based unfortunately for you and I, so let's get this out of the way now and both agree to disagree before we get in a legendary argument like Clarke and M!ke.

Ok. Now, selling out to me means corrupting one's morals or ideals to gain money. Considering Mark once said blink was only special because of the chemistry between Mark, Tom and Travis, hence why he started +44 a decade ago, I think it's safe to say that current blink sold out. Otherwise BCR could've been a blink record without Mark. Or WYHSB could've been a blink record. But they weren't blink records, especially +44 which had prime opportunity to continue as blink. But they didn't sell out. The +44 sales, one might argue, prove they didn't because they couldn't even sniff any of blink's previous 3 records. Throw blink's name on the cover instead of +44 and sales are far higher, I'm guessing.

Despite if Tom quit or was kicked out, in my opinion it's selling out by ruining the identity of the band. And at one point long ago Mark shared this opinion with me (an opinion that Mark has since changed, obviously).  And now the results, as you pointed out, were mixed. In. My. Opinion.

So no, I'm not throwing out buzzwords. They sold out quite literally. In my opinion. Because the money is in the name. Not the band members. The lower sales in AVA, +44 and BCR  can't be argued. In a perfect world the +44 record would sell far more than Cali. But it didn't. Because of the name on the album cover. And that's why Mark kept the blink name. And therefore sold out. In my opinion.

On the flip side, I fail to see how declaring to make new music and following through has ANYTHING to do with the selling out argument. Care to elaborate?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dildo69er said:

I thought it was more Mark wanted to keep playing the songs he wrote and loved as a band. Yes new music is different than history but why not really?

Odd. Could've sworn I heard WMAA at a +44 show once. Guess he wasn't allowed to play any songs he loved back then.

And you're correct. Mark can do whatever the fuck he wants to make him happy. It's not my band. All I've done is support them with my wallet for 20 years. I just personally feel Mark could've released Cali under a new band or even +44 if he didn't want to divide the blink fanbase. And I know he loves playing the same blink songs a ton because the set list hasn't really changed drastically in years. 

@vic vinegar

I think the situations were just under different circumstances, in 2005, this was the first time and Tom was leaving because of "family" and just the result of the band not getting along. There wasn't any disrespect for blink when Tom left (well before the Jesus shit) and I assume Mark thought it would be fair for the band to take a hiatus rather than replacing Tom. The second time was a LOT different as Tom was dragging the band by the strings and Mark has been eager to put out new music since 2013 when him and Tom spilled the news. The new album kept getting delaying for two years despite of the broken promises Tom kept hyping. Around late 2014/2015, Mark (I assume) gave a contract for the whole band to sign so they could finally record this new album, but Tom bailed out through the email his manager sent, just like in 2005. I think Mark and Travis (in this situation) had every right to continue the band as they had to deal with the compromises and nonsense from Tom since 2009. Dealing with lazy and embarrassing performances, along with broken promises. I don't think they fully sold out, but I feel they are somewhat lying to theirselves. It's great the band is finally happy again and working as an actual band, but it seems like a better outcome could've happened. I enjoy Cali 1 & 2 but I wished they would've just wrote whatever they felt like writing, rather than trying so hard to feel like blink. Although, it was probably the safest way to begin the new era and gain some recognition again (they could've done a better job at it though). Mark was one of my favorite members and he felt the most genuine, but it seems nowadays he's different, like a robot. Matt is now my favorite member as he seems the most genuine out of the group (other than Travis). I appreciate the full dedication a lot, and the band members probably do too, but him leaving his band behind rubs me the wrong way, and as people said, basically pulling a "Delonge".

EDIT: I hope someone understood all that lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blink 18Feldmann said:

Bro, they sold out. 'here's our band Mr. Feldmann, now maximize our profits. Oh btw we are shit out of ideas that sell anything so feel free to some popular co writers as well'

Oh and if you didn't notice, there's a California Deluxe album.

But this is nothing new. Its been this way since day one. If you asked Mark/Tom in 1995 to do this for a shit ton of money they'd have said "yes" in a heartbeat.

I just wish that Blink would find a middle ground, where they understand the commerciality of the business and cater to it, but also do stuff because they want to do it and not because it will make them cash.

There are plenty of bands like this, Radiohead comes to mind. Weezer to an extent. It is still possible to make money and do what you want to do. Blink seem to be absolutely scared shitless to do anything that the suit and tie guys don't approve of and that is pretty sad if you ask me.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

Ok well next time they write about being 17 again I'm sure it connects to Jim Bridger or Cormac McCarthy. Jesus.

This post was influenced by the novel No Country For Old Men by the way, even if you can't see it. 

Have you even bothered to check what they wrote for the Deluxe? It's still only Parking Lot (and maybe bits of Wildfire) that could fit your description of "being 17 again". What do you expect, direct quotes from the novels so that even you manage to get it?

So howabout you re-check what Matt really said in that interview, then see the lyrics they actually wrote, because it's obvious you haven't listened to any other songs but Parking Lot.

• Like 1

I don't think blink have totally sold out. Like Oliver said, it's been that way since day one. It's well documented that both Mark & Tom wanted blink to be huge before Enema. Unlike most punk bands in the early 90s, blink were one of the few who had no problem signing with major record labels and all.

Enema came, Tom & Mark had their fun in the spotlight. But Tom wanted to blink to grow. He wanted to push the band more & experiment, especially with the Take Off album. But Mark wanted another Enema. All of that has been documented. I think after the success of Boxcar Racer, Mark probably felt more at ease about making a huge change in the sound.

Meanwhile, Tom's ego was out of control by the end of 2004. Obviously he started AVA. Mark genuinely felt blink was all about the chemistry between him, Tom & Travis. Hence why he started +44. Which wasn't as successful as Boxcar Racer and blink's smiley face album from a commercial point of view. And outside of blink fans, +44 is barely spoken of. Mark probably views +44 as a failure or something. Also began to support bands like Fall Out Boy.

He strikes me as the type of guy that is passive aggressive. He doesn't wanna be supporting Fall Out Boy or some shit like that. Hence why blink is continuing without Tom. He loves blink also too. it's clear he does. He willingly flied to USA straight away from UK just to record a 5 song EP. He also once said blink is at its best when they're all in the same room recording. Yet, Neighborhoods wasn't done that way. I think he's at odds with himself. He'll go against everything he believes in if it means blink is still going.

• Like 4