The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

On 8/25/2017 at 7:44 PM, vic vinegar said:

Yeah, it's considered "basically a new album" when they're recording and promoting DLX but after it's released, it's just bonus songs when it underwhelms. Gotcha.  

Blink are still a huge band. The fact that Neighborhoods had crap promotion yet somehow managed to sell 150k albums or whatever in it's first week is pretty impressive, but it still had promotion, music videos, appearances on talk shows etc. California DLX had the same level of promotion as Dogs Eating Dogs. Unless the artist is someone on the Kanye West/Eminem level of fame or something, any album will flop if no promotion whatsoever. The band definitely considers the DLX some California bonus thing IMO. If they didn't, it'd be promoted way better. They'd be making music videos, they'd be playing a single or two on talk shows. But it is what I think it is, an actual Deluxe edition of California. If it's an album, then I'd call it a double album.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Blink are still a huge band. The fact that Neighborhoods had crap promotion yet somehow managed to sell 150k albums or whatever in it's first week is pretty impressive, but it still had promotion, music videos, appearances on talk shows etc. California DLX had the same level of promotion as Dogs Eating Dogs. Unless the artist is someone on the Kanye West/Eminem level of fame or something, any album will flop if no promotion whatsoever. The band definitely considers the DLX some California bonus thing IMO. If they didn't, it'd be promoted way better. They'd be making music videos, they'd be playing a single or two on talk shows. But it is what I think it is, an actual Deluxe edition of California. If it's an album, then I'd call it a double album.

I'm unsure of the point you were making in the beginning of your post in regards to neighborhoods, but I agree it's a deluxe version of Cali. I was just poking fun at how Travis, Mark, Matt and John were saying it was LIKE a new album and a bunch of people on here used to say, "Blink basically released 2 albums a year apart blah blah" but now that DLX flew super under the radar that same crowd is back-peddaling and saying they're only bonus songs now. Which I agree, they always were.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

I'm unsure of the point you were making in the beginning of your post in regards to neighborhoods, but I agree it's a deluxe version of Cali. I was just poking fun at how Travis, Mark, Matt and John were saying it was LIKE a new album and a bunch of people on here used to say, "Blink basically released 2 albums a year apart blah blah" but now that DLX flew super under the radar that same crowd is back-peddaling and saying they're only bonus songs now. Which I agree, they always were.

Haha, I tend to go off topic without making too much of a point. Tendency of mine. I guess I was trying to explain why it isn't an album and never should've been considered one (using the promotion of Neighborhoods & the main California album as examples), despite what blink said in some of the interviews they had. Personally I've never considered it an album the way Neighborhoods and the main California album are anyway. Don't know about others on this board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Haha, I tend to go off topic without making too much of a point. Tendency of mine. I guess I was trying to explain why it isn't an album and never should've been considered one (using the promotion of Neighborhoods & the main California album as examples), despite what blink said in some of the interviews they had. Personally I've never considered it an album the way Neighborhoods and the main California album are anyway. Don't know about others on this board.

Yeah I'm on board with you there. I see what you're saying now. I'm actually kinda happy they didn't wait to put these songs on the next album. Hey I'm Sorry is still my favorite off of DLX.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Love everything about that song apart from the chorus haha. That's the problem with a lot of California songs for me. Specific parts that I don't like. Also felt the same way with some Neighborhoods songs.

I hate the woah-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh in the chorus to be honest. Stops Hey I'm Sorry from being a song I truly love. That part grinds my ears. But it's still better than most of DLX. I feel that way about Cali in general though. I almost loved Left Alone but it has woah-oh-oh's at the end that didn't quite work. 

• Like 1

Yeah, definitely agree. Instrumental would've been fine for the bridge and outro in Left Alone. Sure, might've been boring but nothing wrong with that in a song or two. I don't hate woahs, ohhs but I prefer them more in the background, lower down in the mix or something. Bored to Death, San Diego etc they worked perfectly fine. Hopefully they can balance the songs out more with the next album. A stand alone Skiba song or two. Instrumental bridges as well as vocal bridges. And woahs that aren't in your face. Always hated gang vocals too.

Also regarding Left Alone, I really sometimes don't understand why Tom can't record with blink. I think that song is AVA meets Alkaline Trio. His ideas really do suit blink, even the space crap. Just Mark & Travis are able to stop him going overboard with that sound but that's what Tom needs. Probably why I enjoy Dream Walker more than the other AVA albums, since he has the Rubin guys refusing to be complete yes men to him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Also regarding Left Alone, I really sometimes don't understand why Tom can't record with blink. I think that song is AVA meets Alkaline Trio. His ideas really do suit blink, even the space crap. 

It's not so much an issue with his style or influence, it's more of a "Hey we need you to show up for work once every 3-5 years or so..." issue.

• Like 3

Definitely true, but I still get the feeling that Tom wants a lot of control over the songwriting still which is why I'm surprised he did the Dream Walker thing with the Rubin guys instead of blink. Wasn't it actually intended for blink? I swear I remember an interview where Tom suggested all this comic book stuff to Mark & Travis but they just shook it off straight away or something. I'm sure if he had all that control over the writing, he'd turn up way more.

1 hour ago, Nosferatu said:

Definitely true, but I still get the feeling that Tom wants a lot of control over the songwriting still which is why I'm surprised he did the Dream Walker thing with the Rubin guys instead of blink. Wasn't it actually intended for blink? I swear I remember an interview where Tom suggested all this comic book stuff to Mark & Travis but they just shook it off straight away or something. I'm sure if he had all that control over the writing, he'd turn up way more.

I don't recall him ever saying the music was intended as Blink, but he definitely said he pitched the Poet stuff to the Blink guys and they weren't having it. I would pay $50 to hear that convo (or most likely read the email from Tom or his manager)...

Can you imagine the look on Mark/Trav's faces? Tom ignores Blink for months and months, then comes in:

"Yeah I'm going to pay this teacher to write a book about this kid called Poet Anderson who is a fucking DREAMER and can manipulate the real world within his dreams, and I was thinking Blink could accompany this and do an album based on it? What do you guys think?"

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

I don't recall him ever saying the music was intended as Blink, but he definitely said he pitched the Poet stuff to the Blink guys and they weren't having it. I would pay $50 to hear that convo (or most likely read the email from Tom or his manager)...

Can you imagine the look on Mark/Trav's faces? Tom ignores Blink for months and months, then comes in:

"Yeah I'm going to pay this teacher to write a book about this kid called Poet Anderson who is a fucking DREAMER and can manipulate the real world within his dreams, and I was thinking Blink could accompany this and do an album based on it? What do you guys think?"

hahaha, I've always thought about how awkward that sales pitch must have been. The worst idea ever on all fronts.

• Like 2

Mark and Travis on some of the DW songs, with some different lyrics that didn't necessarily making it a concept album, would've been an interesting left turn after the Frankenstein creation of Neighborhoods. Dunno about the comics and short films fitting with blink, or the crazy dream warrior plot. But the music could've been very interesting. 

My favorite version of Poet Anderson was Tom dressed similarly to the character in the Everything's Magic video. Closest feeling to old blink we'll probably ever get sadly, even if blink keeps parodying the WMAA video it still felt closer to the humor in their older videos than anything since 2009.

• Like 1