The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

3 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Definitely true, but I still get the feeling that Tom wants a lot of control over the songwriting

Man, what I would have given for a "Metallica/Some Kind Of Monster" style documentary during the reunion era haha. It's just impossible to know what went on in Tom's crazy head and just how sincere anyone was in general.

Obviously this is all such old news haha and this is giving Tom some benefit of the doubt for sure, but I wonder if the general vibe that whole time was something like this:

Tom: We're back, we need to charge ahead and create new soundscapes and take Blink where we've never gone before

Mark: I think we should re-establish our pop punk sound and get everybody excited and remind them of our hits

Tom: We've already done that and I don't like that music anymore, we need to keep growing. Here are a bunch of spacey demos where I noodle around on a keyboard, these could be great as Blink songs

Mark: Not into this at all, come to the studio and let's write some old school Blink stuff

Tom: Do you have any new ideas that push us forward instead of re-treading our old stuff?

Mark: No, I just know I don't like your new ideas

Tom: Fuck this, call my manager when you have something, I'll just be recording what I want because you refuse to work with what I'm coming up with

Mark: Fuck this, you just want to control everything, I knew you never even wanted to get the band back together

Tom and Mark: *angry petulant sobbing*

Travis: *jumps rope*

Repeat, repeat, repeat

• Like 5

Yeah, I can imagine funny moments where Tom pitches or suggests ideas of these comic book, media stuff or whatever along with a concept album. I think Dream Walker (the album, not the books or whatever) would've been perfect for blink. Obviously Mark & Travis with their inputs and Mark coming up with his own song ideas too.

Love Mercenaries, Tunnels, Teenagers & Rituals, Wolfpack, The Disease. Now just imagine the input of Mark & Travis on them. The songs would probably be very different to how they turned out to be though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Wait did Tom actually pitch Poet Anderson to blink?? Poet Anderson has been part of AVA in some form since the formation of that band. Would have been super weird for it to suddenly be associated with blink.

Yeah allegedly he pitched it after the second reunion I think. I'm assuming he always intended for it to be with AVA but when blink got back together he went "oh yay an actual audience for it!" and pitched it and I imagine was met with awkward feet shuffling and 'ah man idk' kind of responses.

I reckon he didn't breach it seriously with them, probably made a passing comment once vaguely about it and took their non-answers as proof that they'll never ever support his vision, or something and thats why he brought it up, like he gave them the option, that he tried to include them and be a part of blink fully and do both what he wants and be loyal to blink but they made it impossible for him.

He wanted to paint them as people who just don't want to push the boundries, do the hits and stay safe instead of doing anything artistic.

I mean it turns out he was right but any sane creative person would have also turned down the Poet offer too.  

• Like 3

I can't take something seriously that is called "Poet Anderson." It was DOA for me and has only gotten worse.

A kid holding an umbrella whose name is Poet? WTF. How could he ever have thought that was a good idea?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kay said:

He wanted to paint them as people who just don't want to push the boundries, do the hits and stay safe instead of doing anything artistic.

I mean it turns out he was right but any sane creative person would have also turned down the Poet offer too.  

Haha this is a perfect summation of the whole fucked up situation they got themselves in, and also why it's still fun to talk about all the time. They were all right and wrong!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kay said:

i know i'm preaching to the choir here but isn't this sad? sometimes i get really bummed about the direction we're in. i honestly think mark and travis also wanted to make more progressive music -- mark didn't write songs like fighting the gravity to appease tom. but this era's really taking it's toll.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ghent said:

.....here we go again. get out your tissues

you and like two other people are the only people in love with what they're making now. you can bicker all you want about how often we complain about it but when there's dozens of people on the board all criticizing the music they're making, there's a problem

• Like 3

i really loved the whole poet franchise and i think it could've done great if would've just kept the effort up....

but thats just how things are with him now i guess. At least he's straight about it.

i still listen more to toms music he released since the split than cali /cali dlx

Ghent's only defense is to make a condescending comment that literally adds nothing to the discussion. I have seen him contribute in other sections of the board but in the blink section all he does is hit and run, a quick jab, calls those who don't agree with new-blink old, jaded, spiteful fans. Or he calls us, gasp, Tombots--like he wasn't jamming out to Tom's music for years and years. Best to just ignore until he says something worthwhile beyond a snarky comment.

• Like 3