The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

It bugs me that Matt sings certain lyrics wrong literally every time. He always sings "creeping in" instead of "creeping on" in I Miss You, and I know that's a really little thing but he literally always does it which to me just shows that he doesn't give a shit about learning the correct lyrics.

There are other examples that I can't think of off the top of my head because it's 5am, but when I hear the exact same mistake over and over again it really bugs me.

And yeah, I do think we're giving Matt a free pass for his live performance just because of how awful Tom was. Matt is not good. He sucks too. He just maybe sucks a little less than Tom. I don't know why everyone praises Matt's guitar tone either, I think it's worse than Tom's, especially his clean tone.

27 minutes ago, Ghost said:

The problem with Matt is that he (well, they) is trying TOOOOO hard to be someone he's not. That's how it looks to my eyes. Playing in a style of music that, obviously and revisinting all his back catalog, is not his natural type of music, so to say.

Because yeah, people tend to clasify AK3 as punkpop and try to make ressemblances with blink using that argument, but that's bullshit. They might have some punkpop flavour, sure (more like pop in general, but well, who cares?), and the thing is that they -AK3- sound nothing like blink, or similar bands. So, when you put a guy with a strong song writing style, and just cut it off in order to make an album which appeals to the 'kids' who love punkpop nowadays, then you get a Frankenstein. They were strongly trying to fit into the modern punkpop scene. That's why Feldmann happened. Which hey, I can understand and respect, but to each its own.

Matt in AK3, not being perfect at all, is awesome compared to what he's delivering in blink, like thousands of light years away. Also, in every other project you can see him doing shit in which he has provided his personal touch, and you have an interesting palette of sounds as a showcase for him. AK3 and blink, in terms of stage pressence, attitude, sound and all, are two really different worlds. So, to me, trying that hard to fit Matt into blink's dynamics is a total challenge and we can't deny he has tryed to fit. Sometimes with more succes than others. I'm not saying they HAVE to change to incorporate Matt, I'm saying that, maybe, Matt, in the end, it's not the best fit.

But yeah, as lots of you pointed out, I first thought Matt was the PERFECT fit with blink, thinking that they could try to follow their late path in terms of sound and incorporate Matt's influence to that, with the advantage of not having Tom in full alienated mode with them. But it turned out just the opposite, and it all results in an amazing trying-too-hard-parade that ends up showing a joke-version of themselves, controlled in studio by Feldmann.

Yeah, sure they have been kind of relevant again, Grammy nomination, bells and happy days. Sure they have earned tons of money with Cali cycle, but for me they have lost tons of interest and personality. And, personally, I'm just being as critical as I've been with other bands I've loved through the years, but that have become a total trainwreck too.

For those who are still doubting about Matt being amazing live and totally normal looking, I suggest you to watch this performances as many times as needed:

Thanls for the links. He is definitely much different in AK3 IMO.

1 hour ago, ...Dan... said:

That doesn't bother me that much to be honest, yeah he should know them by now but if it gives him a prompt when he needs it then that works for me. I'm sure he isn't looking at it all the time (I didn't even know he used one until this thread tbh)

It's the shite guitar playing and unimaginative riffs in the band since he joined that annoys me more. 

Yeah, my biggest issue is that Matt brings nothing to the table.

Give any Joe blow guitarist a shot and he could replicate what Matt does in Blink. Matt's contribution is zilch. From his lousily guitar work/ tone, to no stage presence, he offers us nothing.

He makes no attempt to take Blink and make it his own. Maybe he is restricted? Who knows. But he just doesn't gel with them. One could have easily made the argument that when Scott Raynor left Blink, Travis was going to be a terrible replacement. His drumming is nothing like Scott's. Some could have easily said "bad fit".

But what did Travis do? He took Blink and made it his own. Clearly something Matt is not capable of.

That would be so lame if you were Travis to be jamming out and then look down and see Matt reading off a scrolling lyric monitor.  Would feel like karaoke for your own band.

Tempted to change my name back to mattskibasucksatguitar, but going to refrain.  Kind of ridiculous we're still dealing with that after YEAR 3. My only logical explanation is that they're trolling us, or so far gone into the money to care. I mean that clean tone in I miss you is one of the biggest mockeries I've ever seen, it's like an 8th grader picking up a guitar at the store for the first time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reginald said:

I’ll give them one last chance with the next album. If its cali pt 2. Im out. 

I still can't believe I paid money for Cali. Never again will I be fooled. I'll YouTube all the songs from here on out and then decide. I'm just too scared we'll get DLX.

To be positive for a moment, at least they are doing new material. No question Blink could have kept Tom and continued on as a tribute act.

Billy Joel hasn't released an album since 1993, but still tours constantly. Basically just books like 3 shows at Madison Square Garden, collects his $5mil paycheck and relaxes at home.

Same goes for system of a down.

Fuck bands that do that shit.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

To be positive for a moment, at least they are doing new material.

Yeah, and you know what? I'm still positive on thinking they may go for a more edgy route and get rid of Feldmann. I still have faith. Really.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Trav on the next album: "With California I felt like it was giving everyone what they expect from a new Blink album, and with the next one I feel like we can experiment again."

This was well spoken by Travis and hopefully true, but he also said California was a mix of Enema and Self Titled... And they also went on and on about tracks like Los Angeles being crazy excitemental greatness, Deluxe being experimental.

Just now, JarJarBlinks said:

Can't wait for everyone to whine about how they missed the "fun pop punk sound!" and how Feldy fucked this one up, and how Skiba had zero influence on the new direction.

Gonna be greatttttttttt.

Because its true. 

1 minute ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Can't wait for everyone to whine about how they missed the "fun pop punk sound!" and how Feldy fucked this one up, and how Skiba had zero influence on the new direction.

Gonna be greatttttttttt.

I can't speak for everyone but the last thing I want to do is not like my favourite band of all times music, however I'm not going to pretend it's amazing when I don't think it is either. 

I think what Travis says sounds promising and if Feldmann takes a backseat and Skiba steps up then it could be pretty good.

I think they need to take their time, you can't deny that the turn around time for California was pretty damn quick - especially considering it was 16 tracks long with a shit load of the Deluxe songs written during that session too. I'd like just one solid album with 10-12 tracks and they should take their fucking time, no need to churn out an album every year, quality over quantity.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

It gives me a lot of hope, basically sums up what was obvious which is that California was a comeback album. He also considers Adams Song/I Miss You/Feeling This highly experimental, so I will take those in a heart beat!

BTW we probably should start some sort of "master New Album thread" to post news in and keep running updates on it... @Ghent not sure if you want to go down that Rabbit Hole again lol, if not I don't mind. I think we've only gotten a few "hints" from Travis on it, but it would be cool to have it in one place IMO.

haha go for it man, i've been trying my best to contain my positivity about blink so i don't ruin everyone's time here. so i'm definitely not the person to keep anything like that going

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kay said:

Matt was offered a chance at a lot of money for playing for practically an hour on stage on occasion. He clearly didn't bring any songwriting to the California process, so essentially he's a guitarist and vocalist for hire... and it doesn't even seem he cares enough to put much effort into it.

Yeah, when Matt was chosen as Tom's replacement, I initially assumed it was for his songwriting ability and didn't pay much attention to lacklustre live performances. But since his songwriting presence is so minimal, I don't know why they didn't just hire a reasonably skilled singer/guitarist (whether or not they're a big name in the genre) to make their live shows as good as possible.