The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

5 hours ago, Vera Mathews Band said:

Pop-Punk was started by Blink & Green Day imo, and no one really came close to those 2 aside some short stints by Offspring (talking their pop punk stuff), Sum 41 & friends.   Rancid and early Offspring are definitely more punk.  

Apple was started by me imo. I should get Steve Jobs' money. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Vera Mathews Band said:

Pop-Punk was started by Blink & Green Day imo, and no one really came close to those 2 aside some short stints by Offspring (talking their pop punk stuff), Sum 41 & friends.   Rancid and early Offspring are definitely more punk.  

blink and GD started the mtv era of pop punk, but before there were many pop-punk bands such as Descendents or Screeching Weasel any pop-punk list without them seems incomplete

I agree blink and GD are the best from the mtv era, by far, followed by Offspring and Sum 41

13 hours ago, Vera Mathews Band said:

If you count descendants era than yes it gets more difficult. I was thinking more Dookie onwards.

Who the fuck is rocksound.com anyways?  I still don't get why Self Titled isn't placed. 

Because self-titled is probably closer to alternative than pop-punk.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, thongrider said:

Ouch

all the current pop punk bands post these polls on their twitters and their 15 year old fans vote for them over and over. It's why they shouldn't have these kinds of things.

1 hour ago, Adrianm14 said:

Not sure if this has been posted but judging by the Trademark Events section at the bottom of this, Tom lost his rights to the Blink 182 Trademark and lost his partial ownership of blink towards the end of 2017 

https://trademarks.justia.com/851/55/blink-182-85155313.html

... crikey. 

https://www.avclub.com/in-1998-rap-rock-and-nu-metal-really-did-seem-like-the-1828367971

t took a few more years for the tide to fully turn. Limp Bizkit’s 2000 follow-up, Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water, was the fastest-selling album by a rock band since Soundscan started tracking sales in 1991, but things eventually crashed hard. In a post-Enema Of The State world, soon all manner of generic pop-punk bands would take up radio space, leaving the door wide open for Green Day to once again dominate the landscape with American Idiot. Kid Rock quickly pivoted, excising almost anything resembling rap from his music in the years that followed and building the “American Bad Ass” persona that allowed him to gain favor with outlaw-country fans with a right-wing predilection. Korn stuck to its guns for a while, playing to the nü-metal fan base that was still there, though the band would attempt to break out of that box on 2011’s The Path Of Totality, trading one maligned genre for another as it shifted to dubstep.

maybe not a direct knock, but ouch.

you can see it as "in a world where enema paved the way for a lot of pop punk bands that were trying to imitate it without success, it wasn't too difficult for green day/american idiot to break out the scene, as it was very stale at that point"