The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 hour ago, Kevin. said:

oddly a fucking great song. how embarrassing that mark made a trash song better but can't even make blink sound good anymore. i'd be willing to bet the chorus was a scrapped +44 idea that he couldn't come up with verses for. 

speaking of scrapped +44 ideas, I remember at one point one of the guitarists (I think it was Craig but I can't remember for sure) said they had like 37 new +44 songs written. I'll never find the interview now, but I remember being very excited by that because I thought it meant new music was coming and we'd probably get a lot of bonus tracks with it. I wonder what happened to those and I wonder why they didn't just release an album before calling it quits if they already had the music.

38 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

speaking of scrapped +44 ideas, I remember at one point one of the guitarists (I think it was Craig but I can't remember for sure) said they had like 37 new +44 songs written. I'll never find the interview now, but I remember being very excited by that because I thought it meant new music was coming and we'd probably get a lot of bonus tracks with it. I wonder what happened to those and I wonder why they didn't just release an album before calling it quits if they already had the music.

This makes me so mad, I didn't even know that hah.  +44 really put into perspective how much better blink really was than the rest of the pop punk world..+44 may not have been blink, but it was so so much better than every other knock off like New Found Glory, All Time Low, etc

yeah, mark's plain, monotone voice works really nicely for those guest spots. i think he's been singing wildly out of his range on recent work which is really why he sounds like he's suffering (that and he's getting older and is obviously in need of vocal coaching). i was a fan of this one back in the day, but it hasn't aged too well (that and it's verse melody is a carbon copy of nirvana's mollys lips)

7 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

he became a bigger yes man than Chris Holmes was for blink.

speak of the fucking devil, what ever happened to that dude? i wonder what he'd think of feld

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

This makes me so mad, I didn't even know that hah.  +44 really put into perspective how much better blink really was than the rest of the pop punk world..+44 may not have been blink, but it was so so much better than every other knock off like New Found Glory, All Time Low, etc

Yeah plus Mark was hyping up the second +44 album, then cancelled their European tour to "finish the album," and then just went silent and we never heard from them again. It still annoys me when I think about it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Yeah plus Mark was hyping up the second +44 album, then cancelled their European tour to "finish the album," and then just went silent and we never heard from them again. It still annoys me when I think about it.

Do you remember when Mark posted the contract he signed for the label for the second +44 album? He posted a picture on his website and everything.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, raw_sounds said:

I actually like Rosalia´s work

Collab with Chainsmokers probably will suck, electro pop-punk tends to be really bad, altought im ashamed to admit i lie the song "Here in your arms" by Hellogoodbye ?

There is some interesting shit going on her work, putting aside the monumental money tat has been and it's being invested in promo and all. Where are you from (if you don't mind me to ask)?

Everyone saying that it will be good for Mark "not to feel constrained by blink expectations"....are you fucking dumb? The only reason blink now has "expectations" is because Mark has forcibly and purposely put them into the self-created, pop-punk, stereotypical-sounding box. No one wanted something like California, especially after Matt joined, and we got the most cookie-cutter sounding blink album because Mark wanted to become relevant and put on the radio again. In no way to I feel sympathy for this random box Mark feels blink has to be a part of, and the longer blink is controlled by Mark and Feldy, the more I believe Mark is either too scared to pursue any alternative ideas, or he just doesn't have any anymore (probably a combination of both, tbh). 

Tom drove the bus during Self-Titled, and clearly tried to during Neighborhoods. He forced Mark to also write quickly and without much thought with the DED album, which still is miles ahead creative-wise than anything on California 1/2. Mark was also free to experiment with +44 as much as his heart content, and he made a fucking awesome record. The problem was, he received no money or recognition from it. The guy can't survive being out of the limelight (just look at all his collabs with pop-artists and relevant pop-punk bands post-breakup), and clearly wants to keep the blink money circulating through the mainstream....

And while all that is fine and dandy, in no way do I think that it sucks or is terrible or a problem that Mark has because of blink. He willingly created the problem that is now blink's hardcore cookie-cutter, pop-punk sound. And it suck$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mau5 said:

Everyone saying that it will be good for Mark "not to feel constrained by blink expectations"....are you fucking dumb? The only reason blink now has "expectations" is because Mark has forcibly and purposely put them into the self-created, pop-punk, stereotypical-sounding box. No one wanted something like California, especially after Matt joined, and we got the most cookie-cutter sounding blink album because Mark wanted to become relevant and put on the radio again. In no way to I feel sympathy for this random box Mark feels blink has to be a part of, and the longer blink is controlled by Mark and Feldy, the more I believe Mark is either too scared to pursue any alternative ideas, or he just doesn't have any anymore (probably a combination of both, tbh). 

Tom drove the bus during Self-Titled, and clearly tried to during Neighborhoods. He forced Mark to also write quickly and without much thought with the DED album, which still is miles ahead creative-wise than anything on California 1/2. Mark was also free to experiment with +44 as much as his heart content, and he made a fucking awesome record. The problem was, he received no money or recognition from it. The guy can't survive being out of the limelight (just look at all his collabs with pop-artists and relevant pop-punk bands post-breakup), and clearly wants to keep the blink money circulating through the mainstream....

And while all that is fine and dandy, in no way do I think that it sucks or is terrible or a problem that Mark has because of blink. He willingly created the problem that is now blink's hardcore cookie-cutter, pop-punk sound. And it suck$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. 

I don't think anyone was denying what you're saying.

No one believes Mark is "forced" to do it by outsiders, they just think he's so under confident and believes that blink needs to be relevant that he lets himself be at the mercy of a label and Feldmann. my point was, if Mark decided to write and release something on his bill just for him completely ignoring all of that pressure, that he'd probably make something actually good. 

No need to insult everyone for basically being on the same page? 

• Like 1

I'm not sure Mark doing this is just because his lack of whatever. What if he just wants the actual situation? I mean, from the economical point of view is the best scenario if you don't care about anything else. Go and make records which can satisfy the industry, then push them on the stream and surround you with 'cool' people who is now popular.

40 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I'm not sure Mark doing this is just because his lack of whatever. What if he just wants the actual situation? I mean, from the economical point of view is the best scenario if you don't care about anything else. Go and make records which can satisfy the industry, then push them on the stream and surround you with 'cool' people who is now popular.

Mark was already worth 50+million dollars, and he's not exactly buying gold plated private jets, I really don't think money is what matters to him. 

8 hours ago, boxelder said:

yeah, mark's plain, monotone voice works really nicely for those guest spots. i think he's been singing wildly out of his range on recent work which is really why he sounds like he's suffering (that and he's getting older and is obviously in need of vocal coaching). i was a fan of this one back in the day, but it hasn't aged too well (that and it's verse melody is a carbon copy of nirvana's mollys lips)

speak of the fucking devil, what ever happened to that dude? i wonder what he'd think of feld

?

Watched Netflix's Fyre Festival documentary (I liked Hulu's more), is actually kinda sad that Blink were signed up for that. A massive brat fest surrounded by social media influencers lol. Though they did mention the booking agent was offering 2-3x normal rates, so Blink management likely made that decision and the guys just saw it as a nice getaway. 

38 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Watched Netflix's Fyre Festival documentary (I liked Hulu's more), is actually kinda sad that Blink were signed up for that. A massive brat fest surrounded by social media influencers lol. Though they did mention the booking agent was offering 2-3x normal rates, so Blink management likely made that decision and the guys just saw it as a nice getaway. 

Pathetic wasn’t it. Blink would play at the opening of a crisp packet. Desperate bastards

• Haha 1