The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

19 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

"Two friends unite in the suburbs to make punk rock music like their idols.  One got too into painkillers following his back surgery and tore the band apart. They were funny as fuck though. The End."

Every story is like that before it gets Hollywoodized. You’re trying to tell me the foundational story beats aren’t there for a great drama? You guys are crazy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Every story is like that before it gets Hollywoodized. You’re trying to tell me the foundational story beats aren’t there for a great drama? You guys are crazy.

The only way I see it working is if they have an indie type version film of the three of them fucking around and getting famous like they did.  

10 hours ago, NotNow said:

Totally agree with you, although a big documentary would make more sense to me than getting the Hollywood treatment. But yeah, the story beats are absolutely there, especially if it focused on Tom and Mark and their crazy relationship that has always been the heart of Blink. The ups and downs are fascinating and probably even weirder than a lot of your usual true-story movies about musicians:

• Skate punk fuckups find each other and musically/platonically fall in love
  • Work hard as hell on their music and dominate their local scene with amazing songs and insane humor
  • Get signed to a major label and blow up, Scott/Travis switchup, crossing over into the crazy MTV superstar world
  • End up disillusioned and try to reinvent themselves
  • Tom loses his god damn mind/dramatic hateful breakup/AVA/+44
  • Travis's plane crash
  • Reunite as friends and then decide to get the band back together for a glorious reunion tour
  • Old problems flare back up leading to frustrations and an album they're not very proud of
  • Everything falls apart, second breakup, Tom thinks he's doing historic world-changing work about UFOs
  • Epilogue - Skiba joins the band, California is a success, Tom is convinced time travel is a thing

THE END

• Like 2

The problem is that the ending is missing. Tom would need to come back and blink would need to write a song that gets widely popular for it to be a fulfilling story.

And if that happened you would all cry that they are selling out or something because they wrote a popular song ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12 minutes ago, Ghent said:

The problem is that the ending is missing. Tom would need to come back and blink would need to write a song that gets widely popular for it to be a fulfilling story.

And if that happened you would all cry that they are selling out or something because they wrote a popular song ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fan Future Fiction?

23 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Totally agree with you, although a big documentary would make more sense to me than getting the Hollywood treatment. But yeah, the story beats are absolutely there, especially if it focused on Tom and Mark and their crazy relationship that has always been the heart of Blink. The ups and downs are fascinating and probably even weirder than a lot of your usual true-story movies about musicians:

• Skate punk fuckups find each other and musically/platonically fall in love
  • Work hard as hell on their music and dominate their local scene with amazing songs and insane humor
  • Get signed to a major label and blow up, Scott/Travis switchup, crossing over into the crazy MTV superstar world
  • End up disillusioned and try to reinvent themselves
  • Tom loses his god damn mind/dramatic hateful breakup/AVA/+44
  • Travis's plane crash
  • Reunite as friends and then decide to get the band back together for a glorious reunion tour
  • Old problems flare back up leading to frustrations and an album they're not very proud of
  • Everything falls apart, second breakup, Tom thinks he's doing historic world-changing work about UFOs
  • Epilogue - Skiba joins the band, California is a success, Tom is convinced time travel is a thing

THE END

This really isn't that interesting and I love blink as much as the next guy, they really didn't have much adversity outside of Travis's plane crash and their magic genius producer dying.  The rest was just then being stubborn fuck ups, which is part why we love them.

It really would only work if they took that Lords of Dogtown approach like someone said, and had their own drama stories branch off.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Elisa said:

the would require Mark and Travis to admit that they are not perfect and have made mistakes too and I can't see them doing that

They really don't deserve any of the blame. Was 99% Tom who fucked everything up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJansaid said:

This really isn't that interesting and I love blink as much as the next guy, they really didn't have much adversity outside of Travis's plane crash and their magic genius producer dying.  The rest was just then being stubborn fuck ups, which is part why we love them.

It really would only work if they took that Lords of Dogtown approach like someone said, and had their own drama stories branch off.

Eh, who knows. It doesn't have to necessarily be some epic tearjerking Oscar winner to be an entertaining and fascinating thing to watch. Metallica had a hugely successful documentary about how they started to hate each other and got a band therapist and it just documented them making a shitty album while going to therapy sessions. 

2 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Eh, who knows. It doesn't have to necessarily be some epic tearjerking Oscar winner to be an entertaining and fascinating thing to watch. Metallica had a hugely successful documentary about how they started to hate each other and got a band therapist and it just documented them making a shitty album while going to therapy sessions. 

And everyone made fun of them because that was super gay.

7 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I don't think both of those can be true

Why wouldn't they be?

Metallica built up this image of being hardcore and then they go and call in a therapist to talk about their feelings, become friends again and film it. It's a silly notion and there were a lot of jokes made about them, considering the image that they spent decades portraying but they pulled it off and it was an enjoyable documentary.

Ipso facto, super gay joke fodder that's also turned out to be pretty good ... like Jan.