The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

On 3/9/2019 at 7:24 PM, Patient #48273 said:

I've literally never met anyone who didn't understand that the ATST video was a parody. It's blatantly obvious. Now, there are people who lump them in together with the bands/artists in the videos they were making fun of because the song is poppy, the video got a lot of play on MTV, they're conventionally attractive guys and many fans during their heyday were pre-teen and teenaged girls. Anyone with an IQ above 60 could tell the ATST video is satire.

Yeah, even when I was 6-7 years old I found the video hilarious and knew it wasn't serious. I live in a weird town though. Blink isn't real rock to the musicians of this town, especially if they're over 35 years old haha. Yet they like Green Day. Never understood it.

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2019 at 11:40 PM, Kay said:

How many times can they refer Simple Creatures as 'Trashy' ? 

Simple Creatures is anything but trashy. Literally sounds like mainstream pop music. This is why I could never trust Mark's words when he's describing blink's upcoming album as experimental.

Also hate these comments from Mark:

We had some ideas and were going to work them out in the studio while we were recording, and that’s how we’ve stuck with it now. That’s transformed into having other writers in the studio throwing ideas around.

For me personally, I enjoy writing with other people because I’ve never felt like other artists diminished what I brought to the table. If I’m just left to my own devices, I just do the same similar tempo, rhythm and patterns. Having someone in the studio saying, “What about this?” and pushing me off-center is really valuable.

That's not blink to me. Blink should always be 3 guys. Or just solely Mark & Travis if they're gonna limit the 3rd guy like they have with Skiba. +44 is closer to being blink-182 than blink-182 under this method. This is why I've got low expectations on the new blink album. Like 6-7 other people that aren't Skiba, Mark & Travis involved in this "experimental" album. Don't get me wrong, having 6-7 people suggest ideas is fine. It was that way with the smiley face album but they were such little suggestions. These co-writers in the Feldman-blink era are just as involved in these songs as Mark, Skiba & Travis are it seems.

Even if I like the songs, it still won't feel like blink to me. I don't wanna hear a song that's 50% written by some jackass which happens to have Mark singing on it. I wanna hear a true down to earth Mark song, coming from Mark & entirely all Mark. With input from Travis & Skiba of course. And since Skiba is the guitarist and other vocalist, I also wanna hear a Skiba song, coming from Skiba & entirely all Skiba with Input from Mark & Travis of course.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Ironic that he feels working with other people stops him from doing "the same similar tempo, rhythm and patterns" when California was literally them trying to sound like classic blink-182.

The more we hear about this project the more I'm curious if it will be Mark's eventual pivot to "retiring" Blink sometime soon. In the past he talked about Blink as if it was the only thing he wanted to make music for. BCR was a huge bummer to him because he thought Blink should be the outlet for all of their music, any side project ideas he had were always in response to Tom dragging his feet or quitting.

Now he's got this new project that he seems really stoked about and talks about how it lifted him out of the doldrums of the past few years and how freeing it is to be able to write different styles of music with all different types of people, all after 3 years of having pop writers/producers filtering in and out of Blink already, it doesn't seem like he has the same view of Blink 182 that he used to and he might be itching to let that be his past and move onto new projects that don't come with the same expectations and/or baggage.

Just the fact that Blink has a new album supposedly coming out in the next 3-4 months and he's preempting it with a Simple Creatures release and tour and interviews about how this project took him out of a depression because it was such a great change in pace, it's unusual to me. He used to be very protective of Blink and very defensive of their legacy and how much it defines who he is as a person, now that seems to be a little different.

I could be totally wrong of course, maybe when the Blink album comes out he'll be just as energized as ever. But there's just a kind of strange vibe right now in my opinion. 

• Like 7

It is pretty strange, but I try to keep in mind that this project came to life ~1 or 1.5 years ago. It seems like it was super casual and they just sorta had to figure out when to fit it in between ATL/BLINK "down time" with the release and a few shows. But yeah, even the whole "post tour depression"  is still kinda weird/sad to think of Mark being so down coming off a successful tour/comeback album. I guess it's weird being loved in every city with screaming fans for basically 2 years of solid touring, and then one day just sitting alone in your house with your kid grown up, being 45, going grey, etc. All while Trav/Matt have successful side gigs and plenty of fun...

I still think Blink is def the priority, but I see this as more of a "I have to get out of this house and create something" project with friends that turned into a band, as opposed to a way to expand artistically or rebel from Blink's sound. (a la BCR)

Either way, happy for him, and I really dig the 2 songs out so far and look forward to March 29th. I don't think they expect much out of it, neither are quitting their day jobs...lol

• Like 1

Thought for sure there would be more debate on this answer in the article:

Mark, the California era of blink really saw the band enter a new, collaborative space with a lot of outside writers and voices contributing creatively. You hadn’t historically done that with blink. How have you embraced this collaborative approach to songwriting?

HOPPUS: The way music is written, recorded, distributed and consumed is completely different than when blink first started off. [Back then], it was just the three of us in a practice studio writing songs, throwing ideas around for weeks and months ahead of the recording of the album. When we got into the studio, it was a matter of taking what we’d written and translating it onto tape. Now, with tape machines being gone and the advent of Pro Tools and the availability of recording equipment, you can record an album in your garage. The way we wrote songs is completely different now. It started with the untitled record; we really didn’t have anything written when we went in to record. We had some ideas and were going to work them out in the studio while we were recording, and that’s how we’ve stuck with it now. That’s transformed into having other writers in the studio throwing ideas around.

For me personally, I enjoy writing with other people because I’ve never felt like other artists diminished what I brought to the table. If I’m just left to my own devices, I just do the same similar tempo, rhythm and patterns. Having someone in the studio saying, “What about this?” and pushing me off-center is really valuable.

Having someone in the studio saying, “What about this?” and pushing me off-center is really valuable.

poor mark. tom was and still the only one who could pressure him to write something decent. nobody will ever come close. it's funny how mark talks about progression, when he never really wanted to do untitled styled record.  and he's still insecure about anything he writes. describing SC as a trashy and wierd music, lol - way to go Mark, already making excuses when nobody gives a fuck about SC after a week it's released. 

well, no tom around - mark doesn't have to try hard. everybody's else making it for him. what a joke. still can't believe he's so afraid to write whatever he wants, when there's nothing really to lose. 

• Like 3

On 3/10/2019 at 12:40 AM, Kay said:

How many times can they refer Simple Creatures as 'Trashy' ? 

He's starting to be cringey, isn't he?

I mean, this situation is reminding me to what Tom used to say about WDNTW. The whole rock 'n' roll revolution and all. The thing they don't realize is that, on their own, those things they claim to be happening with side projects, have been acomplished in blink.

Blink has been more revolutionary, weird and trashy than any side project of them. Even without thinking about it.

• Like 1

I think Mark has gone through the 5 stages of grief with blink not being what it used to be, and these stages have taken place at various times over the last 15 years.

Denial

When BCR happened, and TOYPAJ saw a turn in what blink were trying to do where Mark wanted to hang on to the Enema feeling but Tom wanted to go further, I think Mark saw trouble. He didn't want to let go. Tom wanted to try and push things further and Mark didn't want to lose what they had, so he 'embraced' the concept of going fully weird and properly working together on a different sound. We got Self titled. 

Anger / Depression - 

+44, enough said.

Bargaining - 

Neighbourhoods and DED and reforming with Tom. I think he knew it wasn't going to work this time, he knew Tom wasn't committed, he knew it wasn't like the old days, but he was desperate to relive it, so he kept making excuses for Tom and trying to find ways and means to make it work. Alternatively you could argue bargaining was going to extremes with California to dial the sound back to the late 90s and sell out for the relevancy, depends how you look at it. 

Acceptance -  

Now. He knows it won't ever be the same again and he's accepted it won't be so he's just flat out stopped caring anymore. Let other writers in, let many producers in, they'll pump out some crap songs for him, he'll tour a bit to keep the money and the name going, and then go do other stuff. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Kay said:

Acceptance -  

Now. He knows it won't ever be the same again and he's accepted it won't be so he's just flat out stopped caring anymore. Let other writers in, let many producers in, they'll pump out some crap songs for him, he'll tour a bit to keep the money and the name going, and then go do other stuff. 

Ehh disagree with this part. IMO he cares as much as ever, so much so that he brought in these others to ensure it is as good as possible and as successful as possible. No doubt in my mind Mark wants these albums to be great, even if the only motive is to prove he doesn't need Tom. 

Them going with other producers is great IMO, I think Mark hears the Feldy complaints and it bothered him, so it's a way of branching away from that for a few songs without completely ditching him. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Ehh disagree with this part. IMO he cares as much as ever, so much so that he brought in these others to ensure it is as good as possible and as successful as possible. No doubt in my mind Mark wants these albums to be great, even if the only motive is to prove he doesn't need Tom. 

Them going with other producers is great IMO, I think Mark hears the Feldy complaints and it bothered him, so it's a way of branching away from that for a few songs without completely ditching him. 

I don't understand how that could sit right with him. it's no longer blink, or even his music, if a shitload of other people are working on it too. That's why I don't think he cares. He's never been the 'shit load of projects' guy, he's always focused on what he's passionate about - and during the whole process of blink allegedly writing and recording this record he's been focusing on some EPs and live shows with someone else. 

I genuinely think he just does not care as much, that he's given up on it. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kay said:

I don't understand how that could sit right with him. it's no longer blink, or even his music, if a shitload of other people are working on it too. That's why I don't think he cares. He's never been the 'shit load of projects' guy, he's always focused on what he's passionate about - and during the whole process of blink allegedly writing and recording this record he's been focusing on some EPs and live shows with someone else. 

Well just playing devil's advocate here, in regards to "it's no longer blink or his music", here is his recent quote on outside producers/writers: 

"For me personally, I enjoy writing with other people because I’ve never felt like other artists diminished what I brought to the table." , so it's still "blink" and still "his music", unless of course you think him and the guys sit there while these people write their album. (And I know you don't take it that literally, but playing extremes here) 

For the "during the whole process of blink allegedly writing and recording this record he's been focusing on some EPs and live shows with someone else" part:

We've seen them all focused and in the studio on Blink for almost 1 year now. We never even heard anything about Simple Creatures, and it was in the works before this new Blink album even started. We've also heard them both come out in press/interviews for S.C. explicitly stating Blink/ATL are their priorities and they don't even use song ideas for S.C. that are halfway close to ones they would use for their main bands. Even in S.C.'s FB live stuff, Mark mentions Blink and being in the studio earlier that day. It's certainly a random "side thing" IMO, obviously the production/videos and stuff don't take much time, they're pretty minimal, and with a few shows coming up they need to practice some. I don't think it's taking too much time really. 

2 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Well just playing devil's advocate here, in regards to "it's no longer blink or his music", here is his recent quote on outside producers/writers: 

"For me personally, I enjoy writing with other people because I’ve never felt like other artists diminished what I brought to the table." , so it's still "blink" and still "his music", unless of course you think him and the guys sit there while these people write their album. (And I know you don't take it that literally, but playing extremes here) 

For the "during the whole process of blink allegedly writing and recording this record he's been focusing on some EPs and live shows with someone else" part:

We've seen them all focused and in the studio on Blink for almost 1 year now. We never even heard anything about Simple Creatures, and it was in the works before this new Blink album even started. We've also heard them both come out in press/interviews for S.C. explicitly stating Blink/ATL are their priorities and they don't even use song ideas for S.C. that are halfway close to ones they would use for their main bands. Even in S.C.'s FB live stuff, Mark mentions Blink and being in the studio earlier that day. It's certainly a random "side thing" IMO, obviously the production/videos and stuff don't take much time, they're pretty minimal, and with a few shows coming up they need to practice some. I don't think it's taking too much time really. 

I just disagree, really. there's no factual evidence for one or the other. for Mark's quote that means dick all, he says things in interviews all the time that turn out to be horseshit, so him saying he doesn't 'feel' like they diminish what he brings to the table doesn't mean they don't, just means he doesn't mind when they do. knowing his self conscious ass he probably just goes "their idea is much better than mine!" and lets it happen. We've seen a handful of social media posts while they've been working on some blink stuff. one or two snippets from interviews for what, a year and a half? We didn't hear about SC because they were launching it and wanted to do it all at once, hence the videos and the shows and everything else. considering it's just a 'side' thing they've released it like a full new band, and they chose to do this whilst he was in the middle of the writing cycle for blink and presumably the start of their next new phase. they could've continued sitting on it but apparently he's more than happy to launch a new project whilst also working on blinks next big deal of a record? It all seems like he's just not that invested. the old Mark would've been tweeting in the studio at 3am whilst working on stuff. He has been way less active about blinks activity and it just feels like he's not invested.