The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

8 hours ago, Kevin. said:

dude ranch is definitive blink to me. it sucks that the band rarely acknowledges its existence. i'd imagine it has something to do with travis not liking the fact that their best record was made without him. 

I doubt Travis considers it their best album or gets jealous about it in any way, I'm sure it just feels natural for Mark (and Tom when he was in the band) to consider Travis joining a kinda breakthrough moment that took the band to a higher level and want to focus mostly on Travis music since he helped write it and invented crazy drum parts for songs he was involved with.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kevin. said:

dude ranch is definitive blink to me. it sucks that the band rarely acknowledges its existence. i'd imagine it has something to do with travis not liking the fact that their best record was made without him. 

was thinking about this post, and i think it’s on the money. as a fan of all eras of this band though (except now), i think dude ranch feels like the product of a wildly different band (think a joyce manor) than what came later. it can’t even be judged to enema or untitled fairly

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I doubt Travis considers it their best album or gets jealous about it in any way, I'm sure it just feels natural for Mark (and Tom when he was in the band) to consider Travis joining a kinda breakthrough moment that took the band to a higher level and want to focus mostly on Travis music since he helped write it and invented crazy drum parts for songs he was involved with.

Travis doesn't even like Enema because he had to rush his drum parts, I bet he doesn't like Dude Ranch 

24 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Most of the people going to blink shows don't want to hear Dude Ranch. Regular logic.

It's an old album with only a couple songs (if that) the casual fan knows

Yeah but that doesn't mean it's not the best.. We know why they choose what they choose for the set.

Travis is internally broken over it.

i don't expect them to play all of dude ranch live and i'm aware that it's not universally considered their best album. but to then refer to it as a "fan favorite" kinda contradicts both of those statements so whatever.

and i do think travis gets weird about it when asked about the record. i think he wants the band's written history to begin with him joining the band. 

Being in blink-182 is like being a robot right now. It's kinda sad to see that the only thing these people care about is the average fan and they sacrifice their setlist, their creativity and any kind of spontaneity to them. So much that they can't even entertain the thought that an album like Dude Ranch can actually be good.

I'm not saying they should play songs from Dude Ranch at every show, I know things don't work that way but they barely care about anything these days. 

• Love 3

36 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

They choose what they think is the best and that people will like the most...lol.

DR isn't even close to EOTS/TOYPAJ/Untitled in sales/popularity/charting/etc. So the only argument for "it's the best" is personal preference (from what is usually a small minority of OG fans), which again, I totally get. BlinkItalia even just did a recent poll (with 10k+ fairly big blink fans) on "best album" and the final was TOYPAJ vs. EOTS with EOTS winning.

So yeah, I doubt Trav cares too much about the album they never play, most people don't know, and he didn't even record...as he bangs a Kardashian then hops in his 40th Cadillac from EOTS money and drives to his vegan restaurant for brunch. 

You're correlating what the casual fan will like the most and what car the band member is able to afford after as what determines the quality of the album..

Congrats, you've officially entered Kansas City Meltdown territory.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

You really think Travis loses sleep because he wasn't involved on Buddha/Cheshire/Dude Ranch? Sits around real sad because he didn't write Emo originally? Wished he had a chance to sleep in a van with Tom/Mark way back in the day?

Of course it may be awkward when asked about it, it's not his album. You might as well ask him about Metallica's black album. What is he supposed to say? "Yeah these songs are so easy that I learned their entire discography in 45 minutes? There's like 2 people still like and we play live."

did i ever say he loses sleep over it? you guys turn everything in to multi paragraph arguments for no reason. 

i think the album is valued less by the band because travis wasn't involved. i think that sucks because i believe it has aged better than their mainstream hits. the idea of it bothering travis has less to do with the quality of the songs and more so to do with being in the mindset that everything the band did before him didn't really matter because he has a huge ego and is the definition of a cliche celebrity (reality tv show, a thousand cars, etc).

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

i think the album is valued less by the band because travis wasn't involved.

If DR was full of hits they felt worthy, they would play every one at every show and Travis wouldn't give a shit. Mark makes the setlist calls, he doesn't leave off DR stuff because it may hurt Trav's "big ego", he leaves it off because it isn't as popular and most people wouldn't want to hear it. 

So in this #fanfic, Mark protects Trav's big bad ego from the pain & sorrow of playing DR, but it doesn't apply to Skiba who he makes play all previous material? 

43 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Sits around real sad because he didn't write Emo originally? Wished he had a chance to sleep in a van with Tom/Mark way back in the day?

I mean, yes..

Travis said he didn't even like Enema much because his drumming was limited.  He has an ego

Mark was the only one who didnt want to play The Party Song, but Travis and Tom kept going, half of the song been played still, im sure there is a video the on youtube. Doesnt say anything, just a thought. Remember they got back together and were posting a setlists for a rehearsels packed with the oldies, but they kept mostly singles and deep cuts. They had an idea that fans only wanted singles. Stupid. And at that time they didnt give a fuck what to play. It has nothig to do with travis ego (debatable). He let mark and tom decide what to choose. Travis could play enthused 30 times straight every show and he would be okay with that. I blame mark mostly, he thinks it unprofessional to change a setlist in the middle of a show, he is the one who cant add a song because it fucks with a stage production, lol, such a bullshit. Just pause it and play with only a few lights. And of course we had a lazy tom, why practice oldies when you can play singles all the time.

34 minutes ago, NJansaid said:

Travis said he didn't even like Enema much because his drumming was limited.  He has an ego

and yet they still play EOTS stuff all the time... gee. If Mark was really this master "ego protector of Travis" they shouldn't be playing any EOTS according to the #FanFic above. Trav wanted to play new DLX songs, Mark said no... sure didn't care too much about his "ego" then... 

Mark would literally rather make Matt karaoke Anthem 2 from a teleprompter than play a Dude Ranch song, and it has nothing to do with who originally hit the drums behind him when it was recorded. DR is just a very niche album and over the years they have much more material that they, and others prefer. Which is why they (and Trav!) had no problem playing DR songs in 98,99, then cut some for EOTS songs, kept going, then cut some for TOYPAJ, Untitled, and here we are.

And again, I love Dude Ranch.

6 minutes ago, b00bies said:

Mark was the only one who didnt want to play The Party Song, but Travis and Tom kept going, half of the song been played still, im sure there is a video the on youtube. Doesnt say anything, just a thought.

Mark probably was hesitant on the Party Song because he's the one who has to sing the verses, which are a total mouthful. Without rehearsal..

• Like 1