The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

7 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

I hope Tom is getting some $$$ with the way Mark is running his old band's legacy into the ground. He deserves to make a little something off blink's death gasps! Matt wouldn't be getting paid if he wasn't singing Tom's songs.

Ooh, I bet you love the idea of proper blink fans subsidizing Tom's ego quest.

1 minute ago, madgaz182 said:

To be fair Tom will be making money under the blink name on album sales alone, not sure how payment will go for live shows since he isn’t partaking but yet they are playing songs he co-wrote , so not sure how that works 

I think he'll get royalties from blink playing the songs too even if he isn't there. At the professional venues, even covers will earn the actual songwriters the money. I do know it's very inconsistent though, considering there's cover bands who don't pay any dime whatsoever towards the actual owners of the songs. Not sure if Tom will get any pay for the California shit though. Every contract is different.

1 hour ago, madgaz182 said:

To be fair Tom will be making money under the blink name on album sales alone, not sure how payment will go for live shows since he isn’t partaking but yet they are playing songs he co-wrote , so not sure how that works 

Not to rehash a dead argument but Skiba is making direct money off Tom's songs. Skiba might be singing them at this moment in time but Tom put in the real work by recording them, then singing them somewhat good for a decade or so (well amazing by blink's standards) and then playing them terribly for another half decade. I think he's due some chunk change from Skiba's current lackluster effort, which is rivaling Tom's old disinterest. But that's just me. I also wish Scott got some cash from Dude Ranch and Buddha and Cheshire Cat songs. Maybe that's why Mark never plays them live except Dammit and Carousel.

53 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

Not to rehash a dead argument but Skiba is making direct money off Tom's songs. Skiba might be singing them at this moment in time but Tom put in the real work by recording them, then singing them somewhat good for a decade or so (well amazing by blink's standards) and then playing them terribly for another half decade. I think he's due some chunk change from Skiba's current lackluster effort, which is rivaling Tom's old disinterest. But that's just me. I also wish Scott got some cash from Dude Ranch and Buddha and Cheshire Cat songs. Maybe that's why Mark never plays them live except Dammit and Carousel.

I think Scott gets money for Dammit not Carousel. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Gotta think this is Trav's documentary, right? Slight chance it's his next solo album that was supposedly done 2 years ago.

8cm9jxf9raz21.png

I had a google alert a few days back mentioning a new travis solo album but I didn't check on it, I genuinely thought it was already announced. 

I haven't seen anything on it since he told me it was done 2 years ago, and on the brink of a new Blink album I doubt it would be dropping any time soon. Was your alert about his new Suicide Boys EP he produced by chance? That stuff was starting to drop the past few weeks.

5 minutes ago, oliver_makes_good_points said:

i was thinking, blink managment team could start a fanclub caled "the blink one-eighty-Boyz or spelt bois" and ud get body wash once a month aswell as a promo cd feautiring the latiest pop punk bands 

aswell as little editorial from mark about why u should go live in the uk

What a brilliant idea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

I haven't seen anything on it since he told me it was done 2 years ago, and on the brink of a new Blink album I doubt it would be dropping any time soon. Was your alert about his new Suicide Boys EP he produced by chance? That stuff was starting to drop the past few weeks.

I mean it might be, it just said 'Travis Barker new album' and some name but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. 

maybe I dreamt it haha I have no idea. 

9 hours ago, Kay said:

I mean it might be, it just said 'Travis Barker new album' and some name but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. 

maybe I dreamt it haha I have no idea. 

No I've gotten 2 of those. The first time was for a song that Travis guested on and it was like a sad attempt at nu-metal screamers or some shit. Drumming was fine though.

Then I got a new album update this week but didn't care enough to check it out. Now I wish I screenshot it. I also got an update for my buddy's band a day before they uploaded their music to YouTube. Crazy-ass phone.

Hoping Mark does another AMA (I don’t think he checks DMs) soon because I want to ask about those 2015 demos they scrapped when they got on board with Feldmann. There seemed to be some interesting things going on such as working with Tim Armstrong and Mark using a synth pedal for his bass. From what old interviews said, Feldy said they sounded too ALK3, which makes me even more interested. The only song I think was salvaged was 6/8, and that song was probably a lot different before Feldy came in. Mark’s signature sound before California was always +44 based, it even showed up in his demos for when Tom was still in the band. I’m sure I’m not the only one that wanted a +44 meets ALK3 with a little bit of blink sprinkled on top ever since Matt joined.

I would love for them to release all of those demos, finished or not, in a pure unedited fashion (other than just mastering and mixing them). Those short months when they started recording before Feldy was such an interesting era and it’s unfortunate that it has basically disappeared from existence. I’m even skeptical if Mark still has the demos. I know it was basically an era of trial and error but it was probably the closest representation of this lineup giving an equal and genuine output from all members.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jlx9 said:

Hoping Mark does another AMA (I don’t think he checks DMs) soon because I want to ask about those 2015 demos they scrapped when they got on board with Feldmann. There seemed to be some interesting things going on such as working with Tim Armstrong and Mark using a synth pedal for his bass. From what old interviews said, Feldy said they sounded too ALK3, which makes me even more interested. The only song I think was salvaged was 6/8, and that song was probably a lot different before Feldy came in. Mark’s signature sound before California was always +44 based, it even showed up in his demos for when Tom was still in the band. I’m sure I’m not the only one that wanted a +44 meets ALK3 with a little bit of blink sprinkled on top ever since Matt joined.

I would love for them to release all of those demos, finished or not, in a pure unedited fashion (other than just mastering and mixing them). Those short months when they started recording before Feldy was such an interesting era and it’s unfortunate that it has basically disappeared from existence. I’m even skeptical if Mark still has the demos. I know it was basically an era of trial and error but it was probably the closest representation of this lineup giving an equal and genuine output from all members.

They said it was Hey, I'm Sorry and, even though, it was re-worked.

I really would pay to hear those demos.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

They said it was Hey, I'm Sorry and, even though, it was re-worked.

I really would pay to hear those demos.

They said 6/8 was the “heaviest” song they wrote at that time, and even promised that to be on some EP of Cali B-sides (before the deluxe version happened). I forgot Hey I’m Sorry was also the other one from the OG batch.

I’m sure the woah intro was not there in the original lmao. You can tell the verses were likely the main part of the demo and they didn’t have a chorus yet, which led to what we have now. I like the chorus but it probably was not what everyone anticipated after that buildup in the verses. Lovely material that shows how well Mark and Matt can work together and that said more than the songs that happened when Feldy came in. Although I will agree LST, LLL, and BTD are also great examples.