The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

It's pointless to obsess and fantasize about what they were doing pre-Feldmann. If it was good it would have been released. They wouldn't have written a bunch of amazing material only to let some producer they barely knew throw it all away

Had never seen that clip, but it's funny in retrospect because Trav is making the song recommendations, and Mark doesn't look like he's feeling it... lol. If all the sessions went like that, can totally see why they said "Yeah, let's try a producer.

My hunch is that when they said it felt like half the songs were blink and half the songs were Alkaline Trio they meant it. Matt was writing and Mark was writing. They needed help blending it together, which they did well in spots on California, but I bet they come together better on this new album.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It's pointless to obsess and fantasize about what they were doing pre-Feldmann. If it was good it would have been released. They wouldn't have written a bunch of amazing material only to let some producer they barely knew throw it all away

Well we are on a forum obsessing and fantasizing over bullshit topics as we await for blink to actually deliver some news. 

Whether they were actually good or not, it still would be interesting to hear what came out of them, considering there were barely any outsiders except their usual crew and Tim Armstrong (which I’m surprised they never really addressed much about what was going on other than a picture or two). They probably had the mindset of “let’s just record whatever and see what happens” whether than worry about it being blink-sounding enough. Like your following post said, that’s likely what came out of it, half ALK3/Sekrets and half +44/blink-182. Still would’ve be cool to hear them regardless. Who knows how drastic the change was when Feldy began producing.

16 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Had never seen that clip, but it's funny in retrospect because Trav is making the song recommendations, and Mark doesn't look like he's feeling it... lol. If all the sessions went like that, can totally see why they said "Yeah, let's try a producer.

Yeahhhhh, it looks out of context (I’m hoping), but that’s likely what the situation was.

7 hours ago, Ghent said:

My hunch is that when they said it felt like half the songs were blink and half the songs were Alkaline Trio they meant it. Matt was writing and Mark was writing. They needed help blending it together, which they did well in spots on California, but I bet they come together better on this new album.

Yeah I believe this is what happened. The songs were either mark songs or Matt songs with no cohesiveness as they were just learning to write with each other.

But there is 0% chance the songs weren’t good. No way.  

30 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Yeah I believe this is what happened. The songs were either mark songs or Matt songs with no cohesiveness as they were just learning to write with each other.

But there is 0% chance the songs weren’t good. No way.  

Definitely no radio hits like Bored to Death, but the songs would be great. Even if they had no cohesiveness like some Neighborhoods songs, I still believe it would've been good. Would've been very +44/Trio sounding since that's their current signature sounds without interruption from co-writers and an overbearing producer.

• Like 1

Welcome back peace sign.. I’ve been doing what I can to get Mark to notice us on twitter and get that interview. He went on that random blink podcast so I’d say there is a chance.

Unless he dislikes this place from checking it periodically, which seems likely lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scott. said:

What other blink forum is there? It’s either here or Reddit and no chance it’ll be here as a good 50% of us think he’s a cunt

182 Online exists but it’s basically dead now. It’s likely this site will have a representative of some sort because I’ll be damned if he actually made an account and started a thread here. It would probably be reddit unfortunately and that place is a nightmare to get an actual genuine Q&A session going on with Mark.

15 hours ago, jlx9 said:

They said 6/8 was the “heaviest” song they wrote at that time, and even promised that to be on some EP of Cali B-sides (before the deluxe version happened). I forgot Hey I’m Sorry was also the other one from the OG batch.

I’m sure the woah intro was not there in the original lmao. You can tell the verses were likely the main part of the demo and they didn’t have a chorus yet, which led to what we have now. I like the chorus but it probably was not what everyone anticipated after that buildup in the verses. Lovely material that shows how well Mark and Matt can work together and that said more than the songs that happened when Feldy came in. Although I will agree LST, LLL, and BTD are also great examples.

Oh, nice to know. Didn't knew they wrote that one in that pre-Feldy period.

3 hours ago, jlx9 said:

182 Online exists but it’s basically dead now. It’s likely this site will have a representative of some sort because I’ll be damned if he actually made an account and started a thread here. It would probably be reddit unfortunately and that place is a nightmare to get an actual genuine Q&A session going on with Mark.

We locked the forum down literally years ago. 

1 hour ago, jlx9 said:

Can you elaborate why? I never knew about this. I just went on the website when California dropped to see the comments when it wouldn't be so active here.

it's a long story, the TLDR is we had technical issues before California launched, the site was inactive for a manner of months due to one of the main admins who had all the technical control going completely AWOL. it took ages for myself and the other admins to track them down and to fix it - because the fix involved a forced redesign - by the time it was back up and running most had moved on, including myself. we kept it open for a time but without the regulars it was just a slow death. We were never the most active place but we were actually doing alright - but then the downage totally destroyed the place. We saw what it was and just decided to lock it and say goodbye instead of just leaving it a wasteland. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ghost said:

Oh, nice to know. Didn't knew they wrote that one in that pre-Feldy period.

I don't think it was, unless I totally missed something. Everything I have seen talked about how Hey I'm Sorry was the only song that originated during that period.