The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Dude Ranch is the way way better album. Neighborhoods is better mixed maybe but even though Dude Ranch isn't well mixed, I think it's part of the charm. I wouldn't want any of the songs to sound as polished as Enema/Take Off. Dude Ranch has a soul because of it. Enema & Take Off have souls too but in a different way. Neighborhoods also has it's own soul as well. Dude Ranch is perfect as it is. Has the perfect flaws. Top 3 blink album. Smiley face > Enema > Dude Ranch. They're the albums I'd want buried in my grave with me.

30 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

I'm honestly not sure Neighborhoods is that much better mixed than Dude Ranch, I love them both but Neighborhoods always sounded almost demo-quality to me

ur right Neighborhoods prob realy suffered from the circumstance behind the making of that record 

personaly i like it as i feel like it give it this unexpected raw style to that whole mess of a record 

makes it also differant than anyhting else they had done before

Neighborhoods is choppy, but the different style and rawness of it is pretty cool to add to the catalogue.  It's definitely below Dude Ranch, EOTS, TOYPAJ, and Self Titled but it's not that bad at all and has a few serious gems.

Dude Ranch rotates as best album though so...

5 minutes ago, petros said:

Listening to Dude Ranch songs only makes me feel how good of an album it could have been if they had Jerry and Travis with them at the time. 

Dude Ranch's production aside, it's the last blink album that really falls in the punk category. it sonically has more edge and speed then anything afterwards, I can't even begin to imagine it produced like Jerry, I actually think I'd like it less and I'm a huge Jerry fan. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Kay said:

Dude Ranch's production aside, it's the last blink album that really falls in the punk category. it sonically has more edge and speed then anything afterwards, I can't even begin to imagine it produced like Jerry, I actually think I'd like it less and I'm a huge Jerry fan. 

Yeah I get what you're saying it is the last album to sound like that. I never liked "punk" blink anyways so that's why probably I don't like this record. I like the polished live versions of the pre-enema songs on mark, tom and travis show much more.

4 hours ago, petros said:

Yeah I get what you're saying it is the last album to sound like that. I never liked "punk" blink anyways so that's why probably I don't like this record. I like the polished live versions of the pre-enema songs on mark, tom and travis show much more.

Same dude

That's the thing tho

Dude Ranch sounds to crappy to me

Enema sounds just right

TOYPAJ sounds to polished....you can really hear that pro tools difference between Enema and TOYPAJ right after the millenium.

Self-Titled sounds just right again

Neighborhoods has a weird Indie vibe

DED sounded like a step in the right derection

California is the musical equivalent of a Mcdonalds Happy Meal

Enema, TOYPAJ and the smiley face album are the best sounding ones IMO. Count BCR, +44 and the first AVA record as sounding just as great. Not a fan of the drum sounds on California. They sound best when they're more natural sounding like the verses of San Diego & on HISALP (which is ruined by all the background crap that goes on IMO). The drums sound good on Cynical too I think. I like how they sound on the verses of Long Lost Feeling too. Sounds kinda trashy but in a good way.

The autotune on California is a bit annoying at times too. The last two words of the line "I won't fall down that fucking rabbit hole" is really noticeable and robotic sounding. 6/8 is kinda ruined by all the background crap especially in the chorus and the bridge. The guitars on the second chorus and final chorus of Last Train Home sound way too compressed. The synths kinda ruin that song a bit in the bridge too.

Neighborhoods I find weird for a band the size of blink. I think it's well recorded, all very well done, just not mixed very well. GOTDF sounds very awful which is a shame because it's a fucking great song. The chorus and the bridge has way too much going on. Can barely hear the guitars. Natives sounds a bit raw but in a good way IMO. Gives it more of a punk vibe. The chorus of Up All Night sounds like it has too much going on and the riff after the second chorus sounds a bit shit too. The guitars of Wishing Well just sound weak as hell but it sounds like that was the intention for that song. Strange sounding album. Can tell who played guitar and all that shit too. The Mark songs sound like an unpolished version of the +44 album.

I kinda like the drums on BIOMY. They sound more real again unlike most of California but I wish they didn't give it that trashy/tin sounding vibe to it. Can tell that was an intentional choice though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jordidanen95 said:

That's the thing tho

Dude Ranch sounds to crappy to me

Enema sounds just right

TOYPAJ sounds to polished....you can really hear that pro tools difference between Enema and TOYPAJ right after the millenium.

Self-Titled sounds just right again

Neighborhoods has a weird Indie vibe

DED sounded like a step in the right derection

California is the musical equivalent of a Mcdonalds Happy Meal

This is actually right, except Dude Ranch had amazing songs. They still recorded instruments on tape I'm pretty sure on Enema so it sounds a bit less animated while TOYPAJ is really produced but also that Prostools effects stuff wasn't super overdone yet and songs were great.

Self Titled was Jerry Finn's masterpiece though, nothing sounded better by him production wise.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Reg said:

Who says they didnt use pro tools on enema? It was released in 1989. Pro tools has nothing to do with how the albums are different. DAWs dont give your tracks any effects or “sound”. 

I read somewhere they recorded all instruments on tape and only vocals to protools.  This makes a difference to the sound no?  Tape doesn't get all the pre-autotune or auto align effects they sound like they use.

Not an expert just remember reading they used tape before TOYPAJ

26 minutes ago, RebelGirlsUnite said:

I read somewhere they recorded all instruments on tape and only vocals to protools.  This makes a difference to the sound no?  Tape doesn't get all the pre-autotune or auto align effects they sound like they use.

Not an expert just remember reading they used tape before TOYPAJ

Pro tools is just an audioform tool so to speak. You can record to tape like in the ol’ days and still use it. Foo Fighters recorded Wasting Light saying “we’re recording like back in the days, in a garage on tape, all manual labor”. But they still used pro tools. It has no difference on sound, but it makes the recording process 1000x easier.