The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

42 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Hah! THey have no balls to do it. There's no way they would release those demos. And it's a shame. I'd love to hear some demos, b-sides and unreleased songs.

Maybe re-do them on its entirely? That's another thing.

That’s what I was talking about the other day, and was going to hunt Mark down to ask but I’m glad someone also asked the question. If they release their 2015 demos, I hope they do in their purest fashion, only to perhaps mix them before release. I don’t want to hear them polished up to the point where it’s not the original demo anymore. Unfortunately you may be right because I don’t think blink has ever released a collection of just demos and b-sides. As @Kay suggested, when they finally hang it up they should just release everything in the vault.

• Like 1

Dude Ranch is full of pure goddamn gold. It's funny, it's full on, it's got great tracks, great in-betweens, some of blinks best guitar work and the lyrics aren't even that bad either... it's just solid. I also love the fact that Travis isn't on it. as much as I love the dude and his work in blink is iconic, I do like the straight forward pure aggressive style Scott Raynor has and it shines on Dude Ranch. I tend to go back and forth on my favourite blink release but I always come back to Dude Ranch.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RebelGirlsUnite said:

Watch them be utter shit and even more generic than California.

It wouldn't be too surprising if they sucked. They were all so bad in their opinion that they only used parts of one song ("Hey I'm Sorry") and that was only allowed on a Japanese release of the CD originally... none were even worthy of DLX treatment. I know we'd all love to hear them, and we have some wild folklore that they are the perfect Alk3/+44 mashup, but those dudes know good songs...and they didn't even think 99% of what they had was worth revisiting at all.

1 minute ago, Ry-Bread said:

It wouldn't be too surprising if they sucked. They were all so bad in their opinion that they only used parts of one song ("Hey I'm Sorry") and that was only allowed on a Japanese release of the CD originally... none were even worthy of DLX treatment. I know we'd all love to hear them, and we have some wild folklore that they are the perfect Alk3/+44 mashup, but those dudes know good songs...and they didn't even think 99% of what they had was worth revisiting at all.

Had me until here.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RebelGirlsUnite said:

Had me until here.

Just think, those songs were so awful that they didn't even think one verse/chorus was anywhere near KOTW/Sober/Teenage Satellites/California/Parking Lot/etc. Nuff' said. 

And I know it's hard to imagine Skiba/Mark being incapable of coming up with some great blend, but seriously, those songs must've SUCKED. If there was some absolute banger, or just anything decent, it would've been #Feldified and on the album.

27 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Just think, those songs were so awful that they didn't even think one verse/chorus was anywhere near KOTW/Sober/Teenage Satellites/California/Parking Lot/etc. Nuff' said. 

And I know it's hard to imagine Skiba/Mark being incapable of coming up with some great blend, but seriously, those songs must've SUCKED. If there was some absolute banger, or just anything decent, it would've been #Feldified and on the album.

Just cause songs like KOTW, Parking Lot, Sober etc made the cut, doesn't mean that they're better than the ones that didn't make it. Man Overboard didn't make Enema, and it's better than most of the Enema songs. Not Now didn't make the smiley face album outside of UK, yet that's arguably one of the best blink songs ever. What Went Wrong was simply a bonus track out of 6 songs and they chose it for certain discs only, yet I find that better than anything off TOYPAJ. Hey I'm Sorry is superb until it gets ruined by the generic Feldman chorus of woahs. The verses and the pre-chorus alone together are the best things from California IMO.

Feldman didn't even say they were bad songs. He simply said they just didn't sound like blink and that they sounded like +44 and Alkaline Trio, hence why they weren't put onto the album. Plus Feldman is all about selling records and a mash up of +44/Alkaline Trio isn't gonna do well on the radio or charts. Of course he'd convince blink to start from scratch.

Also, Mark's judgement of songs is very questionable. Guy views California as the best blink album. Guy barely mentions +44 which IMO is his best work. Guy makes no mention of Kaleidoscope, which is one of the best blink songs ever.

• Like 8

The difference is the songs you are listing were actually released... these songs were such duds that they didn't even continue with them, and weren't near worthy of a UK album, nor full blown DLX cd that was nothing but B-sides in their opinion...

They didn't have to start from scratch for Feldy to get his writing credits, they could've salvaged parts of any decent ones and he would've. (just like "Hey I'm Sorry").  They hired him, not vice versa. They could've had their couple radio hits (BTD/SOOHM) and filled the rest with whatever they pleased.

If they had a decent song they believed in, it would've been on the album, or certainly the DLX where ANYTHING was allowed IMHO. 

Your last line is #FanFic, Mark says Untitled is the best all the time, mentions +44 halfway often and says "Baby Come On" is the best song he's ever written. Kaleidoscope is nowhere near one of the best Blink songs ever. Love it, but it sounds like a +44 B-side.

14 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Just cause songs like KOTW, Parking Lot, Sober etc made the cut, doesn't mean that they're better than the ones that didn't make it. Man Overboard didn't make Enema, and it's better than most of the Enema songs. Not Now didn't make the smiley face album outside of UK, yet that's arguably one of the best blink songs ever. What Went Wrong was simply a bonus track out of 6 songs and they chose it for certain discs only, yet I find that better than anything off TOYPAJ. Hey I'm Sorry is superb until it gets ruined by the generic Feldman chorus of woahs. The verses and the pre-chorus alone together are the best things from California IMO.

Feldman didn't even say they were bad songs. He simply said they just didn't sound like blink and that they sounded like +44 and Alkaline Trio, hence why they weren't put onto the album. Plus Feldman is all about selling records and a mash up of +44/Alkaline Trio isn't gonna do well on the radio or charts. Of course he'd convince blink to start from scratch.

Also, Mark's judgement of songs is very questionable. Guy views California as the best blink album. Guy barely mentions +44 which IMO is his best work. Guy makes no mention of Kaleidoscope, which is one of the best blink songs ever.

This is so spot on it's not even funny.  All of it including Hey I'm Sorry, the verse sections were the best part of California imo.

It's so weird how much Mark avoids +44 hype.  Like he'll acknowledge it only in Q&As and that's it, it's like he's embarrassed by it for no good reason, it was honestly his best work.  Maybe he feels petty about it? Idk.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RebelGirlsUnite said:

All of it including Hey I'm Sorry, the verse sections were the best part of California imo.

Including the underwater and winning the war references that you are the leader of the hate train on?

So you guys really think that they had some extremely amazing songs, and just threw every single one in the garbage because they were "non-Blink sounding" and then went on to release Los Angeles/Sober/California/ Bottom of The Ocean/Last Train Home/Long Lost Feelings/etc.? None of which really sound like classic Blink, and any +44 vibe material probably would've fit better to begin with?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

The difference is the songs you are listing were actually released... these songs were such duds that they didn't even continue with them, and weren't near worthy of a UK album, nor full blown DLX cd that was nothing but B-sides in their opinion...

They didn't have to start from scratch for Feldy to get his writing credits, they could've salvaged parts of any decent ones and he would've. (just like "Hey I'm Sorry").  They hired him, not vice versa. They could've had their couple radio hits (BTD/SOOHM) and filled the rest with whatever they pleased.

If they had a decent song they believed in, it would've been on the album, or certainly the DLX where ANYTHING was allowed IMHO. 

Your last line is #FanFic, Mark says Untitled is the best all the time, mentions +44 halfway often and says "Baby Come On" is the best song he's ever written. Kaleidoscope is nowhere near one of the best Blink songs ever. Love it, but it sounds like a +44 B-side.

Still doesn't mean they're crap songs. Sometimes an artist doesn't know what kind of song they have. Sometimes the song might not fit on an album. There's a song that I've delayed working on yet I find it's the best idea I've had. But it doesn't fit on my album. I can't find space for it. Does it suit the vibe? Is it too contrasting? There's different reasons why a song won't make an album. Doesn't mean they're crap. Plus everything is subjective.

They didn't start from scratch for Feldman to get his writing credits. Feldman has already mentioned the songs before and said they didn't sound like blink songs. That was why they didn't make the album. All the information has been revealed by blink themselves and Feldman about the demos. They simply weren't "blink" songs.

Last line definitely isn't fan fiction. There was an interview & magazine with Mark fairly recently that was posted on the boards. Can't remember if it was Kerrang or something, but there was a ranking list made by Mark of blink albums from best to worst. California was number one and smiley face was number two. Mark views California as the best. And I remember Mark saying that about Baby Come On. But outside of one song? He barely mentions +44. Most people don't even view that as the best song on the +44 album. And Kaleidoscope is rated pretty highly on these boards. Definitely one of the best blink songs for me. But as I said earlier, everything is subjective.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Still doesn't mean they're crap songs. Sometimes an artist doesn't know what kind of song they have. Sometimes the song might not fit on an album. There's a song that I've delayed working on yet I find it's the best idea I've had. But it doesn't fit on my album. I can't find space for it. 

They didn't start from scratch for Feldman to get his writing credits. Feldman has already mentioned the songs before and said they didn't sound like blink songs. That was why they didn't make the album. 

But what if you were releasing a DLX version with nothing but B-sides and no boundaries? There was plenty of space for any halfway decent song on DLX, and the theme/mood/vibe was irrelevant.

Yes he said the stuff they had done didn't really sound like Blink, but also that they salvaged "Hey I'm Sorry" which in all honesty, doesn't sound like "Blink" to me...it just had the makings of a decent song so they felt it was worthy to continue pursuing. Which is why I personally think if anything was halfway decent, they certainly would've used bits and pieces of it when working on California. But, none of it was even worth revisiting, because it was so bad in their opinion...

14 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Including the underwater and winning the war references that you are the leader of the hate train on?

So you guys really think that they had some extremely amazing songs, and just threw every single one in the garbage because they were "non-Blink sounding" and then went on to release Los Angeles/Sober/California/ Bottom of The Ocean/Last Train Home/Long Lost Feelings/etc.? None of which really sound like classic Blink, and any +44 vibe material probably would've fit better to begin with?

Sorry I was debating with Blink fans, not Calibots.

How much does Feldmann pay for these a month?

"Hold me down deep under water
Wave goodbye to all your daughters
Break yourself but why even bother?
Fathers pray for princes instead
Have your fill of disappointment
Two more years of unemployment
All your fears come to life
And leave you boarded up, abandoned and spent"

vs.

"We won this war, we cursed and swore
They stood no chance at all (The underdogs came home)
We won this war, we cursed and swore
They stood no chance at all

StRiKe A mAtCh aNd StArT a WiLdFiRe"

Yeah totally the same @Ry-Bread ?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

But what if you were releasing a DLX version with nothing but B-sides and no boundaries? There was plenty of space for any halfway decent song on DLX, and the theme/mood/vibe was irrelevant.

Yes he said the stuff they had done didn't really sound like Blink, but also that they salvaged "Hey I'm Sorry" which in all honesty, doesn't sound like "Blink" to me...it just had the makings of a decent song so they felt it was worthy to continue pursuing. Which is why I personally think if anything was halfway decent, they certainly would've used bits and pieces of it when working on California. But, none of it was even worth revisiting, because it was so bad in their opinion...

Mark has said before he doesn't like going back to songs that were written in the past and that they just like to move on. It's just how he works. I'm not the biggest Alkaline Trio fan, I find a lot of they're stuff samey and repetitive. They do have some amazing songs though. Plus those demos probably would've been similar in that sense. Barely any decent riffs and all would've had very generic +44/Alkaline Trio vibes. But I do think the songs would've been a lot more honest and genuine than what we got. It would've been a flawed album, because Skiba and Mark were getting used to each other. But even then, some of those songs would've been amazing.

I think blink fans would've been happy with it. It wouldn't have had nearly as many haters as California got or what BIOMY got. It would've been a solid effort. Probably wouldn't have made a commercial impact because the +44/Alkaline Trio sound isn't radio friendly. I wasn't a fan of the title of one of the songs though. It was "Punk Rock Cliche" and I remember an interview in 2015 and they mentioned that as the title of one of them. I cringed at that one.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RebelGirlsUnite said:

"We won this war, we cursed and swore
They stood no chance at all (The underdogs came home)
We won this war, we cursed and swore
They stood no chance at all

StRiKe A mAtCh aNd StArT a WiLdFiRe"

Yeah totally the same @Ry-Bread ?

And just think, the stuff they had written before wasn't even close enough to this to even bother recording properly or borrow a verse from...lol.

It was scrapworthy, they all thought so, and so did Feldmann. There's a reason it's rotting on a hard-drive, which is my only point.