The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Neighborhoods lyrics are a bit shit at times. Not cringe like California, just shit. This Is Home has the worst of it. GOOTDF has some iffy lyrics. Love is Dangerous has some shit lyrics. Snake Charmer is a bit iffy. Even If She Falls is iffy for me. The only songs where I like all the lyrics are Heart's All Gone, After Midnight, Fighting the Gravity, Kaleidoscope, Wishing Well and MH (apart from the helicopter line, but the rest of that song is fucking great lyrically IMO).

Smiley face blows that whole album out of the water lyrically. Obvious, I Miss You, Stockholm Syndrome, Down, Go, Here's Your Letter, Easy Target are all great lyrically. The rest of the songs have great lyrics mixing in with some average lyrics, but nothing bad. Only Heart's All Gone might be the slightly better one out of every song on the smiley face album IMO. Just a shame they couldn't have the call and response vocals they do live, as well as a better bridge for that song.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Neighborhoods lyrics are a bit shit at times. Not cringe like California, just shit. This Is Home has the worst of it. GOOTDF has some iffy lyrics. Love is Dangerous has some shit lyrics. Snake Charmer is a bit iffy. Even If She Falls is iffy for me. The only songs where I like all the lyrics are Heart's All Gone, After Midnight, Fighting the Gravity, Kaleidoscope, Wishing Well and MH (apart from the helicopter line, but the rest of that song is fucking great lyrically IMO).

Smiley face blows that whole album out of the water lyrically. Obvious, I Miss You, Stockholm Syndrome, Down, Go, Here's Your Letter, Easy Target are all great lyrically. The rest of the songs have great lyrics mixing in with some average lyrics, but nothing bad. Only Heart's All Gone might be the slightly better one out of every song on the smiley face album IMO. Just a shame they couldn't have the call and response vocals they do live, as well as a better bridge for that song.

The only problem with all of this is that you're wrong. Neighborhoods uber alles.

16 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

yeah im basically with you, I don't think self titled had amazing lyrics but it has a lot less blundering mistakes than Neighborhoods and other blink releases. 

• Like 1

Neighborhoods has its beauty to it.  I wouldn't say it's better than Self Titled mainly because of how greatly that album was put together and perfected, but Neighborhoods is pretty much the first time since Dude Ranch they just wrote songs instead of a sound.  It's a lot more raw and natural and the choppiness doesn't bother you so much at this point.

They were definitely more distant around eachother, evolved a bit, and it makes for a unique album.

It still kicks the shit out of California

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

My favorite part of Neighborhoods was that they just said "fuck it" to writing bridges. 

If it wasn't for that, I'd put it on a similar level to the smiley face album. The bridges on that album are a disgrace.

• Wow 1

3 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Makes me smile remembering how when Neighborhoods came out everyone shit all over it and said blink was dead.

And now it's some kind of classic

Not me! I loved it when it came out! I'm an anamoly!

In fact, I'm sure you can still find me saying so on 182online.com! I still have the shirt it came with and everything!

Just now, Harvey Klinger's Heartache said:

You're gonna have to explain this one to me, bud.

Neighborhoods was co-produced by those two. We got the Feldbots. We got the Finnbots. Now we got the Holmes & Critterbots. Basically just playing with you haha. I love the album. I rate it higher than California. It's my 4th favourite blink album. Just nothing will top the smiley face album for me. Not even Beethoven.

1 minute ago, Nosferatu said:

Neighborhoods was co-produced by those two. We got the Feldbots. We got the Finnbots. Now we got the Holmes & Critterbots. Basically just playing with you haha. I love the album. I rate it higher than California. It's my 4th favourite blink album. Just nothing will top the smiley face album for me. Not even Beethoven.

Ahhh ... I see! No worries, appreciate the explanation. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Makes me smile remembering how when Neighborhoods came out everyone shit all over it and said blink was dead.

And now it's some kind of classic

I remember it differently. It was quite a well praised album, just not on the level of the previous blink albums. I remember people saying blink played it too safe regarding that album. After a year of the release, people started disliking the album more. Talking about bridges, how they didn't record it as a band & how Tom had no input at all in some of the songs.

But when you compare it to California or the new blink song, it definitely seems like a very progressive album. It's no classic for a lot of us. Just a lot of blink fans probably prefer it to new blink.

• Like 3

I ripped into Neighborhoods when it came out because it has obvious flaws. Those flaws are still there. The only change is that California was a lot worse, so the goal posts had to move. 

• Like 4