The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Not sure if this new Mark interview in Upset Magazine is available anywhere but here's a summary of what he talked about from a blink182italia post, I thought some of his answers were pretty interesting:

"Simple Creatures are featured in the latest issue of Upset Magazine. Must-read interview with a lot of blink-182 talk. Here are the key takeaways:

• Mark said that the new blink-182 record "is great. I'm so proud of it. We just turned in the sequence the other day. I was sitting in the studio with all the tracks, laid out in the Pro Tool session, arranging the songs and trying to come up with a sequence. Just listening to the whole sequence is exciting, and I really am proud of this album. People will be blown away. This, to me, feels like blink back in 2003 when we released the untitled record. The future is open to anything, and we can take blink anywhere we want."

• Mark reiterated that BIOMY "is the quintessential blink-182 song in the year 2019" and argued that it's "weird" to say that it sounds like Imagine Dragons or The Chainsmokers just because of synths. In addition, he rejected the fan theory that Generational Divide is a reaction against the people who didn't like BIOMY.

• Mark explained that Simple Creatures changed his approach to blink, to the extent that "there's more embracing of the electronics and starting songs totally different."

• Mark stated that he mostly ignores resistance to him doing something different in blink, in Simple Creatures, and in life. "I find that if I just put my head down and do work that I like, and believe in myself and in the people around me, then it serves me well. When I try and cater to what I think people would expect from blink or whatever, it doesn't serve me well, and those songs never see the light of day."

• Mark admitted that he always needs someone to work with, since when he's left to his own devices, he tends to otherthink things and "beat a song to death to the point where it becomes too plain", whereas having someone to bounce ideas off of and say what works and what doesn't "makes the song better than the sum of its parts. It's that way in blink and it's that way in Simple Creatures, as well."

• Mark compared his creative process to Jack Kerouac's ethos of "first thought, best thought. I come up with a melody, I come up with words, and I like what they say, I like the vibe it inspires", and it's onto the next thing. "It's not until months later that I look back and realize the headspace I was in". But that doesn't mean the songs are meaningless.

• Mark confirmed that "the ability to record, mix, master and release songs in a short amount of time is something that I really want to do with Simple Creatures. And that's something we are going to do with blink-182, as well."

• The next Simple Creatures EP is called Everything Opposite and due for release Friday 13th September - but both things could change. It includes Special, One Little Lie, Nevermind, in addition to the previously unknown track "Thanks, I Hate It, which is about the reaction to the first EP". An additional two songs have yet to be picked among a large selection of already recorded tracks.

• Mark claimed that "the second EP is a little more cohesive. The songs feel more like they're all written at the same time. The first EP is very eclectic intentionally because we want people to know that we're not one specific idea or sound or thing. But the second EP definitely has more really shitty sounding electronic guitars and grimy beats which is the core that Simple Creatures is developing."

• Simple Creatures will begin touring as soon as blink-182 is back from its summer tour and EP2 is out. Subsequently, they will begin working on their first LP. According to Alex, they will start some of this this year, but he "wouldn't be surprised if three or four months from now you'll be talking to me again and it'll be done."

• Mark expressed his hope that the remix of Drug by Travis will "come out in the near future. We have all these remixes we've been meaning to put out but have concentrated on putting out new music instead. I share all the music I'm making with them. I'm very fortunate that blink has always been very supportive of people stepping outside, doing different things and then taking that accumulated knowledge back to blink."

• In a very interesting answer, Mark opined that "Plus 44 never seemed to really get its moment. I feel like Plus 44 was such a great band. But I feel like it never got its chance from the label or from the world. A great injustice was done to us on that album.""

• Like 5

so I went internet digging and found some old angelfire sites. nothing too interesting, just kind of cool they're still up.

http://www.angelfire.com/ut/FinalFantasyParadise/Blink182.html

nothing too interesting here, just a scrolling word text saying Scott was not kicked out and he went to school. hehe

http://www.angelfire.com/punk3/blink182rules1/past.html

this honestly reminds me of how things used to be. you had to read black backgrounds with red texts to get updated information about blink. also stuff about some dude's band you don't care about. dude even gives you updates on his basketball tournaments and how his homework is going.

http://www.angelfire.com/ms/1blink182/Blink182fan.html

basically all the same information a hundred other sites have.

also on IMDB still..

Was the victim of many Internet rumors that he had died in a plane crash. Mark eventually wrote on the band's website "I'm at home eating pancakes.".

I remember that after that CNN article was put up

48 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

so I went internet digging and found some old angelfire sites. nothing too interesting, just kind of cool they're still up.

http://www.angelfire.com/ut/FinalFantasyParadise/Blink182.html

nothing too interesting here, just a scrolling word text saying Scott was not kicked out and he went to school. hehe

http://www.angelfire.com/punk3/blink182rules1/past.html

this honestly reminds me of how things used to be. you had to read black backgrounds with red texts to get updated information about blink. also stuff about some dude's band you don't care about. dude even gives you updates on his basketball tournaments and how his homework is going.

http://www.angelfire.com/ms/1blink182/Blink182fan.html

basically all the same information a hundred other sites have.

also on IMDB still..

Was the victim of many Internet rumors that he had died in a plane crash. Mark eventually wrote on the band's website "I'm at home eating pancakes.".

I remember that after that CNN article was put up

I miss the old internet

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aria said:

I feel like, at least once a week, Tired Of Kicking My Own Ass is randomly stuck in my head. 

I like it, but is it as good as "I lost my fuckin' leg in Vietnam" ?

I’d love a copy at a decent price, but wouldn’t feel comfortable unless @daveyjones approved it’s authenticity. If anyone comes across one south of ~$400ish let me know. The last few I saw went for ~$350 I believe, I would’ve snatched one but it was personalized which I didn’t like. (Signed “To Pat” or something)

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

I’d love a copy at a decent price, but wouldn’t feel comfortable unless @daveyjones approved it’s authenticity.

it wouldn't need to be me, personally. you'd just want someone who has a legit tape to compare the cassette and the inserts physically, and then be able to rip the audio to FLAC lossless with something like XLD or exact audio copy and have a look at the spectrals in a program like audacity.