The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Its weird how i have been in love with Selftitled and Enema since 2009 (When i discovered blink at 14)

I grew out of TOYPAJ after my mid teens tho

Such a weird album in terms of lyrics, Enema has those kind of lyrics but it fucking works

TOYPAJ wants to be friends with 14 year olds so bad, those lyrics lose everything after a certain age

And then Self-titled has such different lyrical style

• Like 1

Damn why don't we just make this a thread? 

!. Untitled

2. Enema

3. Dude Ranch

4. Neighborhoods

5. TOYPJ

6. California

7. Cheshire Cat

8. Buddah

Could easily flip Enema and Untitled for me. Enema was such a life changing album for me that holds a ton of meaning. TOYPJ has actually aged the worst for me but it's one of the most fun albums to play guitar along with. 

Considering I only got into blink at like 16-17 and I'm a mid 90s kid, I sort of missed the bus on their releases before enema. I've listened to them, but a lot of times the "grittier" production turns me off a bit in favor of the newer stuff and I get bored. Can y'all sell me on why you love Dude Ranch/Cheshire Cat so much? I don't dislike them, but I think I'd be more likely to get into them if I could appreciate them better.

4 minutes ago, Whales said:

Considering I only got into blink at like 16-17 and I'm a mid 90s kid, I sort of missed the bus on their releases before enema. I've listened to them, but a lot of times the "grittier" production turns me off a bit in favor of the newer stuff and I get bored. Can y'all sell me on why you love Dude Ranch/Cheshire Cat so much? I don't dislike them, but I think I'd be more likely to get into them if I could appreciate them better.

Because they're great album so do what you're told, kid!

19 minutes ago, Whales said:

Cheshire Cat is just silly and fun, it's energetic and amusing - to me it literally sounds like hanging out with dumb friends dicking about on their instruments making each other laugh. it basically has the personality and charm blink have been selling and riding on for years. It's definitely an acquired taste but it has the soul of the blink ethos.

Dude Ranch is like Cheshire but better, the songs have more structure, purpose and thought, the guitar work is slightly better and not so 'samey' sounding whilst still maintaining it's grit and sloppiness that's iconically Tom. It has the silliness but also packs a punch and has bitchin' harmonies and trade offs that end up becoming part of blinks general make up. It's fast, it's stupid but it's tight and just generally awesome and has some solid mature moments sneakily hiding here and there. There's more immediacy to it which I've always felt is lost with the later releases. 

How well do you know the songs or have you just not really listened to them? because I'd recommend just throwing them on in the background on occasion. 

I got into Dude Ranch when TOYPAJ came out - the two albums were a gift when I was 12 because I was a little bit insane about Enema when I got into them. I adored TOYPAJ for sure but Dude Ranch was the sleeping winner for me and it gave me so much more enthusiasm for learning guitar and getting into that kind of music. I'd argue it was a gateway into punk as a general genre for me than their other records. and following that Cheshire was just a comforting oddity, more blink to consume and fall in love with. I magically got into most of blink really close to each other, with Untitled being the first anticipated and clued in release anticipation cycle for me. I do think how and when you get into them makes a drastic difference on your perspective.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Kay said:

Cheshire Cat is just silly and fun, it's energetic and amusing - to me it literally sounds like hanging out with dumb friends dicking about on their instruments making each other laugh. it basically has the personality and charm blink have been selling and riding on for years. It's definitely an acquired taste but it has the soul of the blink ethos.

Dude Ranch is like Cheshire but better, the songs have more structure, purpose and thought, the guitar work is slightly better and not so 'samey' sounding whilst still maintaining it's grit and sloppiness that's iconically Tom. It has the silliness but also packs a punch and has bitchin' harmonies and trade offs that end up becoming part of blinks general make up. It's fast, it's stupid but it's tight and just generally awesome and has some solid mature moments sneakily hiding here and there. There's more immediacy to it which I've always felt is lost with the later releases. 

How well do you know the songs or have you just not really listened to them? because I'd recommend just throwing them on in the background on occasion. 

I got into Dude Ranch when TOYPAJ came out - the two albums were a gift when I was 12 because I was a little bit insane about Enema when I got into them. I adored TOYPAJ for sure but Dude Ranch was the sleeping winner for me and it gave me so much more enthusiasm for learning guitar and getting into that kind of music. I'd argue it was a gateway into punk as a general genre for me than their other records. and following that Cheshire was just a comforting oddity, more blink to consume and fall in love with. I magically got into most of blink really close to each other, with Untitled being the first anticipated and clued in release anticipation cycle for me. I do think how and when you get into them makes a drastic difference on your perspective.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Kay said:

Great answer, thank you. I'm listening to Dude Ranch right now and realizing I actually know it a lot better than I thought I did. I think by not having a special connection to either (I have specific growing up memories from a few Enema/TOYPAJ/Untitled songs) makes them harder to appreciate, so knowing why other people love it just helps my contextual enjoyment haha.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Kay said:

Yessss! I find it so hard to put into words why I like certain music, but this is it! Thank you. 

I relate most to the band in Dude Ranch. They were just some uncool kids playing music and having fun. Some of their best lyrics are in there. I’m also a huge fan of their vocals in this album – scratchy Tom is my favourite. Overall just a great sound, I’m a big fan of this version of ‘punk’.

I think people tend to like Dude Ranch because it’s a more raw blink before their super stardom.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Whales said:

Great answer, thank you. I'm listening to Dude Ranch right now and realizing I actually know it a lot better than I thought I did. I think by not having a special connection to either (I have specific growing up memories from a few Enema/TOYPAJ/Untitled songs) makes them harder to appreciate, so knowing why other people love it just helps my contextual enjoyment haha.

Have you ever watched The Urethra Chronicles documentaries? If not you are definitely missing out, but the first one in particular has quite a bit of footage from the pre-Enema days and it helped me appreciate that music even more to see what they were like and what they were up to during that time. I just love behind the scenes type stuff like that.

3 hours ago, Whales said:

Can y'all sell me on why you love Dude Ranch/Cheshire Cat so much?

1.) those are the two albums i grew up with. cheshire cat defined my junior and senior year of high school. and same with dude ranch and college.

2.) as for the rough production, i grew up a socal skate punk kid. so the albums i listened to tended to sound like, bad religion's no control or black flag. rough was the stuff. no radio, no MTV, no pop. so enema, to my ears in 1999, just sounded like so much gloss. it sounded like the spice girls. i'm exaggerating, but only a little. the sound of "what's my age again" was SHOCKING.

years and years later, there are bits of enema i find charming. but not at the time.

what dude ranch has against it is the mix and mastering is sooooooo bad. can you imagine what that album would sound like, remixed by jerry finn and Tom lord-alge? holy shit.

they came to conquer uranus is my favorite blink release of all time. the writing, the sound of the production, everything. 1996 was a very special year for me and blink, and that release just captures it perfectly. jeff forrest at doubletime with tom's sticker strat through his ampeg VL-1002 and mark's black / white ernie ball stingray musicman through his ampeg cab. that's the end all / be all for me. that session has songwriting with the tightness and pop sensibility of dude ranch, but it sounds like cheshire cat. fuckin' perfect.

uranus + lemmings (same session) > cheshire cat > dude ranch > short busbuddha > jacket > enema > neighborhoods > dogs > cali > untitled.

final thought: if bands like bad religion were your baseline when you first heard blink, enema sounds like a garbage fire. but if your baseline when enema came out was whatever else was on the radio and MTV, it probably sounded better than green day's dookie.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

1.) those are the two albums i grew up with. cheshire cat defined my junior and senior year of high school. and same with dude ranch and college.

2.) as for the rough production, i grew up a socal skate punk kid. so the albums i listened to tended to sound like, bad religion's no control or black flag. rough was the stuff. no radio, no MTV, no pop. so enema, to my ears in 1999, just sounded like so much gloss. it sounded like the spice girls. i'm exaggerating, but only a little. the sound of "what's my age again" was SHOCKING.

years and years later, there a bits of enema i find charming. but not at the time.

Did you write threats om bathroom walls and ban them like Gillman did Green Day?