The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

1.) those are the two albums i grew up with. cheshire cat defined my junior and senior year of high school. and same with dude ranch and college.

2.) as for the rough production, i grew up a socal skate punk kid. so the albums i listened to tended to sound like, bad religion's no control or black flag. rough was the stuff. no radio, no MTV, no pop. so enema, to my ears in 1999, just sounded like so much gloss. it sounded like the spice girls. i'm exaggerating, but only a little. the sound of "what's my age again" was SHOCKING.

years and years later, there are bits of enema i find charming. but not at the time.

what dude ranch has against it is the mix and mastering is sooooooo bad. can you imagine what that album would sound like, remixed by jerry finn and tom lorde alge? holy shit.

they came to conquer uranus is my favorite blink release of all time. the writing, the sound of the production, everything. 1996 was a very special year for me and blink, and that release just captures it perfectly. jeff forrest at doubletime with tom's sticker strat through his ampeg VL-1002 and mark's black / white ernie ball stingray musicman through his ampeg cab. that's the end all / be all for me. that session has songwriting with the tightness and pop sensibility of dude ranch, but it sounds like cheshire cat. fuckin' perfect.

uranus + lemmings (same session) > cheshire cat > dude ranch > short busbuddha > jacket > enema > neighborhoods > dogs > cali > untitled.

final thought: if bands like bad religion were your baseline when you first heard blink, enema sounds like a garbage fire. but if your baseline when enema came out was whatever else was on the radio and MTV, it probably sounded better than green day's dookie.

Loved this. It definitely makes sense that the context of growing up in that era hugely affects your perspective. Dude Ranch sounds like mud, so I'm glad I'm not the only person who doesn't like that aspect haha

@Champ182 I'll watch the Uretha Chronicles as well, not sure why I never have. I love the Untitled doc and have watched it a few times!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Whales said:

I'll watch the Uretha Chronicles as well, not sure why I never have. I love the Untitled doc and have watched it a few times!

There's a second one as well that was released in the TOYPAJ era, it's fucking hilarious and longer and more professional-looking but obviously more confined to that specific point in the band.

35 minutes ago, knapton said:

Didn't listen to the video but read the post. I always love hearing stuff on Jerry Finn as it's so rare. Some more cool info

Yeah, it's a shame there isn't much information regarding his recording techniques. I'd love to read more about his shit.

2 hours ago, Speedo said:

The first line of Give Me One Good Reason ruins the entire song for me everytime I hear it.

Still one of my favorite all time blink songs. Yeaaa, I get your point about the mom and dad line. but that's a rad sounding song Guido...i mean speedo 

2 minutes ago, The Bean Twiddler said:

Still one of my favorite all time blink songs. Yeaaa, I get your point about the mom and dad line. but that's a rad sounding song Guido...i mean speedo 

It's fucking "don't quite" NOT "quite don't", Tom, you fucking dumbbutt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1