The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

11 hours ago, Phteven_DeLounge said:

Never expected Tool to be posted in the blink section haha, I love the crap out of this song. was one of my main things to belt when I was like 17/18

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Ugh I need more blink tatts lol. I don’t have any color though so couldn’t pull that off. Been debating between the OG bunny/Moon Man/Smiley etc.

Yeah man I want the Untitled Smiley face (debating with no "blink-182" letters) as that was the era that sealed the deal as them being my favorite band. But then I think about getting the bunny too as that looks better without color (only got black and grey tatts currently so far). I dunno. I go back and forth too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YANGGANG_2020 said:

Tool is depressing.

Yes, but brilliantly so. A Perfect Circle is a Tool side project that I prefer, it's just as miserable but slightly less harsh. It was perfect for my broody teen years haha

So with Skiba, blink has released 45 blink songs since 2016.

With Tom, only 19 from 2009-2015. Only 44 going back and including Untitled/TOYPAJ since 2001... So in 3 years, Skiba did more with blink than Tom did in the previous 18...wtf. (Obviously a hiatus or two in there, but still)

Another EP or so, and Trav will have recorded more blink with Skiba than Tom, which is crazy to think about.

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

Just now, Ry-Bread said:

With Tom, only 19 from 2009-2015. Only 44 going back and including Untitled/TOYPAJ since 2001... So in 3 years, Skiba did more with blink than Tom did in the previous 18...wtf. (Obviously a hiatus or two in there, but still)

Another EP or so, and Trav will have recorded more blink with Skiba than Tom, which is crazy to think about.

Yeah but the obvious argument is quality vs quantity. If you had to choose the Skiba 45, or Toms 44 since 2001? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Quality > quantity 

3 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

So basically from 2005-2019 Tom only released 19 songs as blink, and we can knock of HAG interlude, MH 4.18, FTG. So essentially 16 songs in 14 years, which is just wild to think about. Now obviously "active" time would be ~16 songs in ~6 years, but even that is wild and you can understand why Mark/Trav wanted to be a bit more active with their day job.(And lol at Tom's "don't have time" excuse")

If including TOYPAJ/Untitled then yeah would want Tom's, but from above I'd take Skiba's ~45 over Tom's ~16 in that time span.

I wouldn't. like I'm glad they're doing well but I still prefer Neighborhoods to basically all the stuff they've done with Skiba. the DED EP I can take or leave but Neighborhoods has enough shining moments to have him win out for me. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mahtmd said:

Also, if you count TOYPAJ bonus songs, Tom has more than Matt in the last 18 years. 

That's a good point I did not include those, nor Not Now/Another Girl. So Tom has a *few* more in the last 18 years compared to Matt in the last 3, which is still pretty sad all things considered. The takeaway for me, is that Tom has been done with blink for a long, long time.

11 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

I agree, was referring more to there would be no blink right now if they didn't do what they did. So I'll def take Cali/DLX/NINE over nothing.

I think we couldn've gotten a great Tom Blink album by now which woule be better than what we got. 

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

So in 3 years, Skiba did more with blink than Tom did in the previous 18...wtf.

That's pretty interesting and sooo crazy to think of it in terms of the number of songs! I guess another thing that makes it feel different to me is whether the songs feel like they "count" toward Blink's legacy if that makes sense. Not to get all nostalgic or anything but back in the pre-breakup days every song "counted" and every album was toured extensively and felt like its own era. Releasing 28 songs in two years for Cali and Deluxe kind of throws that all out of whack because, while I agree the songs should be seen as legit official Skiba/Blink tracks, they're also just kinda floating out in the wind.

Take a random album track like Please Take Me Home. It's late on the album, not a live staple whatsoever, pretty surface-level lyrics, but it still feels like it "counts" and has more thought and means a lot more than a song existing in a similar place on Cali and Deluxe like Teenage Satellites or Don't Mean Anything. In my opinion too many Skiba era songs have been like cotton candy, melting into nothing because there's no substance. Not to mention the fact that they still play original Blink era songs at shows by a huge majority. So it's crazy to think he's been in that many songs but I guess that's why it still feels like he's only JUST beginning to actually leave a mark on the band on Nine.

• Like 4