The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

3 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

That's a good point I did not include those, nor Not Now/Another Girl. So Tom has a *few* more in the last 18 years compared to Matt in the last 3, which is still pretty sad all things considered. The takeaway for me, is that Tom has been done with blink for a long, long time.

I still stand by my quality> quantity statement. I'd rather have one great Blink album with Tom in ten years than 20 meh ones with the songwriting commitee. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ari said:

We don't know that....

5 minutes ago, thongrider said:

I think we couldn've gotten a great Tom Blink album by now which woule be better than what we got. 

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Tom would not have "had time" for blink until MAYBE recently. He didn't even have interest in AVA until a few months ago, and that's working completely at his convenience in his own studio. He said that a year ago at this time he thought he'd never be on a stage again... so no doubt in my mind blink would've been inactive from 2015-now. And at that point wouldn't have released anything from 2013-2019.

1 minute ago, Ry-Bread said:

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Tom would not have "had time" for blink until MAYBE recently. He didn't even have interest in AVA until a few months ago, and that's working completely at his convenience in his own studio. He said that a year ago at this time he thought he'd never be on a stage again... so no doubt in my mind blink would've been inactive from 2015-now. And at that point wouldn't have released anything from 2013-2019.

Most of the songs on Odds and ends would be great on California. 

2 minutes ago, Ari said:

What. Are. Y'all. Talking. About? 

Tom is part of like 90+ blink songs. ...

Was just looking at how many songs Skiba has been a part of with blink, and it was ~45 if you count Cali, Cali DLX, NINE, and "Why Are We So Broken" (though that's technically Aoki I guess). And I was curious how far back I had to go until Tom had that many...

NH+DED= 19 songs

So I had to go back to ~2001 and include TOYPAJ/Untitled for Tom's total to meet or barely surpass Skiba's "blink song count". Wasn't trying to rouse anybody up, just thought it was interesting.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Great fan fiction, let me know when you write the next chapter and I'll def give it a read. 

• Crab 1

1 minute ago, Ari said:

I guess I just don't see how it's interesting, or crazy personally lol. I find it weird? I don't know. 

I don't understand what's making you so confused haha. Skiba-182 released as many songs from 2016-2019 as Blink-182 did from 2001-2015.

So when people say it doesn't feel like Skiba is a part of the band, @Ry-Bread is just pointing out that he's already contributed as much material as Tom did in his last 14 years in the band. That's pretty interesting regardless of whether you think his material is as good as Tom's or not (I don't obviously)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

This is one of those typical Tom statements that needs some context, because while I have no doubt his heart is in it more now than before, he's been working on new AVA music since at least April 2018 (via instagram) and probably before that under the guise of the "Strange Times Feature Film." So his saying "a year ago" isn't really true, it's just a fun exaggeration to make his point. I agree with your main point for sure, but I think it's funny he's parading this story right now when he's been working on new music for a while and even teased a 2019 AVA tour last year.

1 minute ago, Champ182 said:

I don't understand what's making you so confused haha. Skiba-182 released as many songs from 2016-2019 as Blink-182 did from 2001-2015.

So when people say it doesn't feel like Skiba is a part of the band, @Ry-Bread is just pointing out that he's already contributed as much material as Tom did in his last 14 years in the band. That's pretty interesting regardless of whether you think his material is as good as Tom's or not (I don't obviously)

No, I get that right? It's just lol... Ry-Bred never hinted for a second his reasoning for doing this was due to people saying it doesn't feel like Skiba is part of the band. I Guess to me, it felt like a dig at Tom through the form of a very odd, irrelevant statistics all things considered when you really break down the time frame.  And I don't understand why somebody who just attended an AVA show, paid a ton for the meet and greet, was stoked to meet Tom, waited around for Ilan would throw something like this out there. I just find it weird and silly I guess lol. Hope that makes sense. 

• Like 1

I just find it odd. And all a band has done doesn't start and stop at what songs they release recording wise lol.  You can see how it's a little odd, right? You're taking two completely different worlds and comparing them by doing this. The blink with Tom was very different than the blink with Skiba. And you can say you know that, and that you're not factoring in who wrote what, etc etc etc etc you're just pointing out the amount of songs, but you're not taking into account so many things that I think, personally, a statistic like that paints a poor, false narrative and puts a spotlight on an empty stage. And you can't argue if Tom was in the band we'd have nothing to this day, my dude because you don't know that for a fact and I feel just as strongly as you do the opposite (that we would've).  

On the flip side, it's a bit insane that Skiba has been on 45 songs with blink in the space of 4 years. Most bands don't put out that much music in that amount of time, and he released an alk3 album in that space of time as well.

It's definitely a massive gap but it's only partly Tom dragging his heels and partly blink being somewhat overzealous after Toms departure (and probably because of Toms departure in an effort to reclaim the name in some manner). he did also separate to blink in those years release two EPs and a solo album and has started releasing singles from the new album so it's not like he's done nothing in those 4 years himself either. 

Yeah, it's really hard to convey what I'm thinking regarding this whole thing- But I basically think @Ry-Bread this stay-together-for-the-kids "makes no sense at all". It's like trying sell scientology or something. "Here's a fact for ya" "Damn, I never thought about that..." lol.