The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

2 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I think those particular players have improved as they've matured but I would still make the argument that neither of those two (I never liked Strung Out) ever sat down and thought about music theory either. 

gurewitz and el hefe? for sure. both have formal music education in their background.

but you're right, you don't need to have studied music to shred. "chops" just means raw playing ability.

6 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I think those particular players have improved as they've matured but I would still make the argument that neither of those two (I never liked Strung Out) ever sat down and thought about music theory either. 

I think they have.

13 hours ago, Phteven_DeLounge said:

Have you ever heard Velvet Alley by them?

or most anything after suburban teenage wasteland blues. they are one of the most technical melodic metal-punk bands of the last 25 years. sidenote: in a guitar magazine interview tom listed strung out's crossroads & illusions EP as his current favorite.

edit: i found it. guitar world, august 1999 - 

blink-tom-interview-guitar-world-august-

4 minutes ago, Osgod said:

Sometime Mark is full of shit. 

i think he has a completely different view on what a legacy band is... Just because you put out new records doesn't mean you're not a legacy act... you actually have to play the songs you wrote. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

i think he has a completely different view on what a legacy band is... Just because you put out new records doesn't mean you're not a legacy act... you actually have to play the songs you wrote. 

Exactly.

He is a scared lazy bitch sometimes I guess. He fears that the crowd won’t like the new songs and let’s be honest, it’s easier to play the known shit again and again compared to rehearsal new material. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

"When Tom left the second toaime, Travis and I had a conversation because we could very easily ride off into the sunset and play greatest hits sets into infinity, but that's not what we wanna do". -Mark Hoppus.

???

Is he really that delusional?

• Sad 1

Only time will tell, unless Blink make the set list at least 50% of the new songs with Skiba then Mark is completely full of shit, I have no real beef with them being a greatest hits band to be honest, but stop trying to act like you're really moving the band forward when everything else you do just points to you clinging onto the past. 

My guess is the new set will maybe be made up of 20-25% of songs from that era (my guess would be Bored to Death, Cynical and maybe 2-3 off Nine)

If Mark truly believes what he is saying it should be 3-4 songs off California and 5-6 off nine with maybe 10 from the previous Delonge era - can't see that happening though to be honest...

• Like 3