The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

26 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Apologies if this has already been said but I assume all the people that were annoyed/mocked Tom for wearing AVA merch at Blink shows feel the exact same way about Mark sporting Simple Creatures stuff when playing with Blink?

I don't know if it's technically the same thing. Mark never quit Blink and focused all of his priorities on his side project, he makes time for both and so far has balanced both quite well.   I believe Tom had an AVA shirt on for every show of the reunion tour, or atleast for most.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, dave900 said:

I don't know if it's technically the same thing. Mark never quit Blink and focused all of his priorities on his side project, he makes time for both and so far has balanced both quite well.   I believe Tom had an AVA shirt on for every show of the reunion tour, or atleast for most.

Pretty spot on there. 

1 hour ago, dave900 said:

Cheers Dave, I'll get back in my box now.

10 hours ago, dave900 said:

Yeah the two aren’t even remotely similar. Nobody would care if Tom did AVA as a side project during blink down time. 

He literally used blink as a giant advertisement for AVA. He wore an AVA shirt through the entire reunion tour and passed out LOVE promo shit. On the Neighborhoods tour he released some shitty movie. And then on DED he did everything he could to get blink on modlife as a last ditch effort to keep it from going under. 

• Like 2

Yeah while I'm not a fan of Simple Creatures or current blink much in general, the Tom thing was a very deliberate slap in the face / marketing cash grab. The fans knew Toms focus was AVA and not blink, the band knew it, it was uncomfortable and shameless.

Mark wearing a Simple Creatures T is just Mark doing what Mark does. He wore shit tons of the octopus shirts, the Atticus shirts, makes sense he'd wear SC and they're not in direct competition so I see no issue. 

• Like 3

I'm torn. I never cared Tom wore his Love shirt. Wasn't he working on those albums before the reunion started? I mean the only thing different is the timing as blink was just getting back together. If Mark and Travis patched things up with Tom, politely asked Matt to step aside and real blink was back, I wouldn't give a shit if Mark wore a Simple Creatures shirt or if Tom wore an AVA shirt or if Travis wore an Aquabats or BCR or +44 shirt. Y'all made too much out of it honestly.

Just now, vic vinegar said:

I'm torn. I never cared Tom wore his Love shirt. Wasn't he working on those albums before the reunion started? I mean the only thing different is the timing as blink was just getting back together. If Mark and Travis patched things up with Tom, politely asked Matt to step aside and real blink was back, I wouldn't give a shit if Mark wore a Simple Creatures shirt or if Tom wore an AVA shirt or if Travis wore an Aquabats or BCR or +44 shirt. Y'all made too much out of it honestly.

Dude - blinks new music was delayed because of Tom and AVA. he wore a LOVE shirt to every fucking show. that's a freakin' statement. it's also the band thats the reason they split up in the first place, it's in extremely bad taste. A lot of what he was doing at the time was trying to bank roll through blink to fund AVA and it was transparent and dirty. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

Nice to meet you torn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Honestly i never cared for that shirt. Tom is ava, it was his main musical passion and was back on that tour and he was very open about it .mark should sport his SC sweater too. Who the fuck gives a shit what they are wearing? Its not like they wear offensive shirts... They wear what they are passionate about and what they want to promote, and they should. They are the reason people are showing up for those shows. The can do whatever they want.

Its not like you'll be at a blink show, tom is wearing is ava shirt and people go like: ah yikes i should ditch blink and support just ava.... Tom was all about his weird ava shit since 2005. If he wears thst shirt or doesnt, doesnt make any difference....

• Like 1

Neither bothered me, but I figured it would be brought up. I want that SC hoodie, but without the pill character thingy on the back lol. (Also just noticed the UK SC store has more options than US...odd.)

BTW SC added 2 shows in CA, 11/12 and 11/14 if anyone is in the area, tix on sale Fri.

To me personally its pretty clear that blink is a top priority for Mark. If he were to choose between that or SC he wouldn't think twice. He just doesn't seem focused on it being a commercial and economically succes. Just feels humble, at least to me. Tom on the other hand used blink solely for PR for AvA, and made countless delays for a blink-album because he was to busy with AvA. Like previously stated, no wonder Tom only wanted to tour with blink. I can't really recall if I cared back then, but as things turned out I would have gotten crazy being Mark and looking at that tee every single night.

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

I think around 09-11 he was probably using blink for AVA. But AVA have barely done anything since 2014 outside of a couple of EP's. He's been focusing on that TTS stuff way more than anything else in recent years. Difference with Tom and Mark is blink was the side project for Tom and now AVA seems to be his side project. For Mark, blink always has and always will be his main band/project.

• Like 1