The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

4 hours ago, NotNow said:

Damn you guys are some gatekeepers. No fun for anyone. Jan I expected more from you.

I mean, you're the one who randomly pulled out a statement like a fact, not an opinion, that you probably knew would be controversial so I'm not really sure what you expected. 

New Trav interview with some Tom stuff:

https://www.kerrang.com/features/travis-barker-i-looked-death-in-the-face-and-survived/

Was the reunion a massive lift?
“I had already accepted that it was over, so when it did come back and we did a reunion tour, that was cool. It was fun to be around Tom again, and it was fun to be around Mark again, but I could always kind of feel the vibe that Tom really liked doing his own thing – probably even more so than blink. Whereas I always kept it as a priority, even if I was on tour with Wayne or if I was working with whoever, whatever rapper, whenever I was doing Transplants, whatever people would see me doing. Whenever blink came around, it was always my priority. Tom – and I love him to death – but I felt blink was no longer the priority for him. It was like, ‘Oh, let’s do this reunion tour, but I really want to get back to doing my own thing.’ And I respected that in some ways, and I guess I could see Tom’s focus was somewhere else. Then eventually I felt like I had even more respect for him because he was like, ‘Look, I don’t want to actually do this anymore, and I want to go do this, this and this.’ For him to walk away from such a big monster, a big machine like that, I have nothing but respect.”

Do you still keep in touch with Tom?
“Yeah, I do. We talk, even if it’s only through text, like, ‘Hey, are you cool? How’s the tour?’ I’ll say, ‘Man, everything’s great, and I hope you’re doing good.’ Whatever. It’s just small talk really, but yeah, we definitely keep in touch, just to check in.”

• Like 6

Travis acts so nonplussed about everything Blink related.

.....yeah we got huge overnight, sold millions of albums, played to millions of people, but like whatever man. No big deal. Yeah, it all ended abruptly but who really notices these kinds of things? Yeah we got back together and stuff, Tom was noncommittal but it was cool I guess, and then Tom left again, its all good.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Travis acts so nonplussed about everything Blink related.

.....yeah we got huge overnight, sold millions of albums, played to millions of people, but like whatever man. No big deal. Yeah, it all ended abruptly but who really notices these kinds of things? Yeah we got back together and stuff, Tom was noncommittal but it was cool I guess, and then Tom left again, its all good.

He literally didn't say anything like that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Speedo said:

He literally didn't say anything like that.

How did your life change once blink-182 became a massive success?

“I didn’t really let it change too much, in the beginning. I was a hired drummer, so I was really only in the places they were supposed to be. I was at shows, but I couldn’t really tell what was going on. Then we all saw it getting much bigger, the attention, MTV… it wasso popular. Everything happened so fast.I guess I never sat back and went like, ‘Oh, shit, this is massive, and this is how I’m going to react.’ There was never really time to think, I just kept moving. At that point, after you are successful, they’re like, ‘Okay, get back and write another album.’ And that’s been my life ever since, pretty much.”

When blink-182 went on their extended hiatus, how did that affect you?

“It wasn’t really an issue for me

Was the reunion a massive lift?

“I had already accepted that it was over, so when it did come back and we did a reunion tour, that was cool. It was fun to be around Tom again, and it was fun to be around Mark again, but I could always kind of feel the vibe that Tom really liked doing his own thing – probably even more so than blink. Whereas I always kept it as a priority, even if I was on tour with Wayne or if I was working with whoever, whatever rapper, whenever I was doing Transplants, whatever people would see me doing. Whenever blink came around, it was always my priority. Tom – and I love him to death – but I felt blink was no longer the priority for him. It was like, ‘Oh, let’s do this reunion tour, but I really want to get back to doing my own thing.’ And I respected that in some ways, and I guess I could see Tom’s focus was somewhere else. Then eventually I felt like I had even more respect for him because he was like, ‘Look, I don’t want to actually do this anymore, and I want to go do this, this and this.’ For him to walk away from such a big monster, a big machine like that, I have nothing but respect.”

So yeah, he did say that.

Maybe, I am programmed differently, but I never would have used any of the bolded phrases to describe something that literally made me who I am and something that like .000001% of people actually achieve.

And as far as Tom goes, if he fucked me like that, I'd burn that bridge so fucking hard his head would explode. I'd be on twitter everyday scorching the shit out of him. It would be in no way, shape or form, "cool" what Tom did.

6 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

And as far as Tom goes, if he fucked me like that, I'd burn that bridge so fucking hard his head would explode. I'd be on twitter everyday scorching the shit out of him. It would be in no way, shape or form, "cool" what Tom did.

That’s the difference between successful people and those who are not.

It would have been pretty embarrassing if he would have done that. He had countless other things to shift his attention to and earn money.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

So yeah, he did say that.

Maybe, I am programmed differently, but I never would have used any of the bolded phrases to describe something that literally made me who I am and something that like .000001% of people actually achieve.

Well... talking about alpha males, I guess Travis' behavior has the most alpha behavior you can find out there.

He shows no reaction, no remorse, nor bad blood. His life is complete with what he is by himself. Of course I'm sure he feels 100% blessed by what happened to him thanks to blink, and I'm sure too he feels thankful for that, but I guess too that he has managed to have a personal 'brand', so to say. I mean, he's 100% complete by himself at this point. He has his own life and projects, and, then, he has blink as a part of his life. The guy just commits to what he's doing in the moment. I think he has evolved much better than Hoppus since they went through the first hiatus back in 2005.

I mean, Travis is not a perfect human being, as no one is, but man,  I think he's a survivor in so many ways.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Well... talking about alpha males, I guess Travis' behavior has the most alpha behavior you can find out there.

He shows no reaction, no remorse, nor bad blood. His life is complete with what he is by himself. Of course I'm sure he feels 100% blessed by what happened to him thanks to blink, and I'm sure too he feels thankful for that, but I guess too that he has managed to have a personal 'brand', so to say. I mean, he's 100% complete by himself at this point. He has his own life and projects, and, then, he has blink as a part of his life. The guy just commits to what he's doing in the moment. I think he has evolved much better than Hoppus since they went through the first hiatus back in 2005.

I mean, Travis is not a perfect human being, as no one is, but man,  I think he's a survivor in so many ways.

I totally agree with this. It is very alpha. It is very centered. 

But its not how I live my life and this is where I differ with CCW and where I agree with say someone like Trump. You fuck me, and I will fuck you. It is satisfying. I much prefer to hold grudges and anger and unleash it on people who have done me wrong. I'd have fucked Tom up real bad for what he did. Eventually I'd move on but there would be no friendship, no respect. None of that.

I respect Travis for being able to do what you have described. To remain centered. But his philosophy is not for me at all.

Lets recap: Tom basically didn't care about putting Travis in an awkward position in BCR. Didn't apologize. Left Blink when it was on top, wanting complete control of the group and relegating Travis and Mark to be his backup, Used his plane crash to reform Blink under a false pretense, Blink to promote his other projects, wanting Travis fired from Blink.....the list goes on and on.

At a certain point you are just a bitch if you remain friends with human garbage.

Well, I don't know. What I learnt some time ago is to ask myself: what's the point in taking revenge or holding grudges against anyone? It's worth the effort? I think it's more consuming to yourself than anything. In the end, my conclusion is that, basically, to do it is not worth my time/energy. Instead of it, it's a better idea to use your effort in productive stuff for you. In other words: is more productive and better to move on. And, again, the best exampes of both sides are Mark and Travis (even if them both have success).

Mark basically got dismantled when blink got zombified in between first hiatus until Tom left the band in 2015. He wasn't able to move on and evolve. A good try on that was +44 and his production tasks with other bands, but looks like he got stuck in blink. Not blaming him, though. That was a hard moment, of course.

But Travis was the opposite. Just the opposite, and thatgets lots of determination, amongst other things.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Well, I don't know. What I learnt some time ago is to ask myself: what's the point in taking revenge or holding grudges against anyone? It's worth the effort? I think it's more consuming to yourself than anything. In the end, my conclusion is that, basically, to do it is not worth my time/energy. Instead of it, it's a better idea to use your effort in productive stuff for you. In other words: is more productive and better to move on. And, again, the best exampes of both sides are Mark and Travis (even if them both have success).

Mark basically got dismantled when blink got zombified in between first hiatus until Tom left the band in 2015. He wasn't able to move on and evolve. A good try on that was +44 and his production tasks with other bands, but looks like he got stuck in blink. Not blaming him, though. That was a hard moment, of course.

But Travis was the opposite. Just the opposite, and thatgets lots of determination, amongst other things.

Its complicated. It can be a balance. I agree that his approach is probably the best way if that works for him. But I also think that natural emotions of anger can be justified and shouldn't be suppressed. I don't think it's good to dwell on something. But I also can't even imagine a scenario where someone fucked me over so bad and me having nothing but praise for them. Not to mention staying in contact.

Tom is just using Travis for publicity. The "I still talk to Travis" is complete abuse. It isn't true friendship. I am just really not sure why anyone would allow themselves to be taken by that. I don't think that approach is healthy either.

I am fully onboard with the idea that you shouldn't let someone else beat you or control your thoughts in your life. Like Mark did. But dealing with abuse is no good too.

55 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Lets recap: Tom basically didn't care about putting Travis in an awkward position in BCR. Didn't apologize. Left Blink when it was on top, wanting complete control of the group and relegating Travis and Mark to be his backup, Used his plane crash to reform Blink under a false pretense, Blink to promote his other projects, wanting Travis fired from Blink.....the list goes on and on.

At a certain point you are just a bitch if you remain friends with human garbage.

I'm pretty sure Tom apologized for BCR before they broke up the first time, after some fighting and whatnot, and everything was fine. Then Mark got antsy when Tom was seemingly going to do some solo project and that caused more fighting, which lead to the first break up. I'm not sure Tom wanted to do the reunion at all, and seemed OK with touring and maybe a reunion record. I think he honestly felt bad that they broke up and wanted to keep the friendship alive considering one just almost died. You could tell Tom was never going to make Blink the priority in his music life. 

The Tom firing Travis thing is kind of weird, but then again Travis was supposedly threatening his wife. If I did that, I'd be fired from my job honestly. Mark seemingly just let that one go by just fine, which is odd.