The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

23 hours ago, Champ182 said:

I respect that! Unfortunately it will never feel like Blink still "exists" without the Tom/Mark dynamic for me. For some psychological reason I'd probably enjoy the new music more if it was under a new name haha. Still fun to follow the band though.

I love the Tom/Mark dynamic too, but on "Neighborhoods" it got out of balance, too much Tom/AVA for me. It's a good album but not as great as the 3 before. I prefer Nine to their last album together. If Tom will ever come back for a new record: will there be a Mark/Tom balance again?

27 minutes ago, lost said:

I love the Tom/Mark dynamic too, but on "Neighborhoods" it got out of balance, too much Tom/AVA for me. It's a good album but not as great as the 3 before. I prefer Nine to their last album together. If Tom will ever come back for a new record: will there be a Mark/Tom balance again?

Yeah, I think that was a bit of a problem on Neighborhoods, but the DED EP improved on that aspect to me. You can kinda tell that they worked on the EP as a band compared to the Neighborhoods album. If they're all in the studio together, the balance will always be perfect IMO. But away from each other, then the difference in both of them will be more obvious.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, lost said:

Probably won't go down to well on here but I honestly don't see anything in Neighborhoods at all. It's such a disjointed record you easily make an educated guess on who wrote which song, who wrote which guitar part etc... honestly prefer California or Nine. There are moments of blink magic on there like 'After Midnight', but it just sucks on the whole.

You could even argue the self-titled record was a little more Tom heavy compared to the usual Tom/Mark balance.

Credit to Mark for giving in and recording bits/parts/most of the album separately after that was an issue when they split for the first time but Dogs Eating Dogs showed so much more potential when they actually worked together.  

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

29 minutes ago, FighterOfGravity said:

Looks like Matt must have sobered up or something, actually sounded like he enjoys being here for once and cared to hear what they had to say

It's always cool to hear him talk about just being a fan of blink, and was funny to hear him admit he has to concentrate on WMAA and how he still struggles on a certain IMY part. He really is a cool humble dude doing his best, and it makes a world of difference when the interviewers actually give him a chance to speak.

• Like 2

Had blink-182 on shuffle and started with Obvious. After the song finished, then the title track "California" came on. My God. The level of quality between those two songs is HUGE. They went from amazing songs like that to trash like California?

Glad they started experimenting a bit more on Nine. They're progressing again. Hopefully, they'll never go back to the sound of California again.

• Like 4

On 11/23/2019 at 5:09 AM, Ry-Bread said:

Giving TOYPAJ a spin and man it is hard to think of a 3 song stretch better than Everytime I Look For You, Give Me One Good Reason, Shut Up... this is my fav album so I’m biased, but damn so good. 

Of the top of my head I'd say Apple Shampoo, Emo, Josie.

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Def a great 3, but try with non-singles. It’s hard!! (And that’s why I love TOYPAJ so much, the non-singles/back half of the album is just so good)

Waggy, Enthused, Untitled. 

Touchdown Boy, Strings, Peggy Sue

• Like 2

On 11/22/2019 at 8:09 PM, Ry-Bread said:

Giving TOYPAJ a spin and man it is hard to think of a 3 song stretch better than Everytime I Look For You, Give Me One Good Reason, Shut Up... this is my fav album so I’m biased, but damn so good. 

I liked Shut Up when the album was released, but it has aged very poorly for me. The chorus sucks. 

3 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

I liked Shut Up when the album was released, but it has aged very poorly for me. The chorus sucks. 

Honestly, I'm with ya.  I still like Shut Up, but the lyrics are pretty weak, seems like it's just falling back on the trope of swearing a lot to appeal to teenagers.  I think there is a relateable message in the song, but it is conveyed poorly in a way that doesn't really hold up all too well.  Even as a teen, I always felt this, didn't help that Please Take Me Home was the follow up which for me was always an all time favorite for TOYPAJ, and that hasn't changed.

1 hour ago, M!ke said:

Honestly, I'm with ya.  I still like Shut Up, but the lyrics are pretty weak, seems like it's just falling back on the trope of swearing a lot to appeal to teenagers.  I think there is a relateable message in the song, but it is conveyed poorly in a way that doesn't really hold up all too well.  Even as a teen, I always felt this, didn't help that Please Take Me Home was the follow up which for me was always an all time favorite for TOYPAJ, and that hasn't changed.

Please Take Me Home is their most underrated song.  It has a serious flow to it.  Love that song.  The signature Tom palm mutes too were so cool at the time.

• Like 1