The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

It's worth a shot, no doubt about it, but please, no multi-producer bullshit and no Feldmann glossy shit.

If the're gonna release a new +44 album made a la California-Nine modus operandi, and saying that 'this is where we're at now', they better let the thing rest.

• Like 4

I dont see how a new +44 album would be any different than what blink is doing now. +44 was what mark and travis came up with musically in 2007. Nine is what mark and travis are coming up with in 2019. I dont see how adding 2 live guitarists to the "line-up" changes anything?

They definately should start playing those songs again live though. By far the best material mark and travis did without tom

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Neal said:

I dont see how a new +44 album would be any different than what blink is doing now. +44 was what mark and travis came up with musically in 2007. Nine is what mark and travis are coming up with in 2019. I dont see how adding 2 live guitarists to the "line-up" changes anything?

They definately should start playing those songs again live though. By far the best material mark and travis did without tom

This, it wouldn't sound any different. 

4 hours ago, Neal said:

You never know, they won't have the expectations of whatever the hell they think blink should be and can just be genuine. Which is one of the biggest things holding them back. Mark's features have seemed way more natural and better than Cali/Nine.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Neal said:

THIS. Thanks for saving me the effort and saying exactly what I wanted to say. I feel the +44 album is EXTREMELY overrated on this board anyways. What did Craig and Shane contribute to +44 anyways? Certainly not more than what Skiba contributes to the current blink lineup. People getting their panties in a bunch because Mark politely said “never say never.” 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Crab 2

17 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

THIS. Thanks for saving me the effort and saying exactly what I wanted to say. I feel the +44 album is EXTREMELY overrated on this board anyways. What did Craig and Shane contribute to +44 anyways? Certainly not more than what Skiba contributes to the current blink lineup. People getting their panties in a bunch because Mark politely said “never say never.” 

crabs2-1.gif?fit=336,188

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

More +44 would be cool because that whole album felt more genuine than anything blink has done since then. It also has a different tone and feel than blink, despite being similar. I think Mark knows that +44 and blink are different and if he ever returned to +44 I don’t think it would be the same as current blink.

All I really want though is a tour. I’d obviously be excited for new music, but what I really want and would love more than anything is to experience that album live.

Even if they just randomly put a single +44 song into a blink set one day, that would make me super happy.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Shane and Craig definitely contributed when it came to guitars. +44 was originally meant to be an electronic project with just 3 musicians, one of them being that Carol. As soon as Shane and Craig joined the band, they turned into a more guitar driven band, which was one of the reasons Carol left. I'd say they contributed just as much as Skiba did with blink bar a couple of Skiba oriented songs like NHTSO and Black Rain. Only difference is Skiba also wrote some lyrics and had lead vocal duties in some tracks. Whereas +44 actually has some cool riffs and guitar licks that Shane and Craig had a part in.

7 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Throw WYHSB and Baby Come On into every set and have them become live staples, what's the drawback?

Could see WYHSB or Lycanthrope being thrown in there and people would just assume it was new or deep blink stuff. But yeah, they can hardly fit new blink/classic deep cuts in...so just no way they would do that. I do wish when they do these acoustic Matt + Mark shows they would branch out a bit and add a +44 or Alk3 song in there for fun. I'll take that over Misfits/Post Malone covers.

15 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Shane and Craig definitely contributed when it came to guitars. +44 was originally meant to be an electronic project with just 3 musicians, one of them being that Carol. As soon as Shane and Craig joined the band, they turned into a more guitar driven band, which was one of the reasons Carol left. +44 actually has some cool riffs and guitar licks that Shane and Craig had a part in.

i'm bored right now and i'd like to say i think this is all wrong.

+44 was never meant to be an electronic project. when the band was announced, mark stated in an interview that everything was very electronic solely because they were writing in his living room at the time with an electronic drum kit and a drum machine. it was prior to him and travis buying their own recording studio and having the ability to record with live drums. those demos are readily available and by no means were they "electronic" by genre definition. they are essentially the same songs and they predate shane and craig joining the band.

we don't know what happened with carol. mark claims she "wanted to start a family." as far as i know, there isn't any information available that suggests otherwise.

shane and craig's involvement with the writing and recording process is a mystery. it's more likely that they weren't really involved at all, like david kennedy and the bassist in box car racer. the style of guitar playing is pretty consistent across the entire record and similar to both the early demos and mark's songs on neighborhoods. for this reason, i think it was all him.

interviews with mark suggest craig joined when the album was practically finished and shane was allegedly "around" during the recording process. mark was regularly doing his podcast during the recording of the album and from what i remember, he really talked about being there alone with chris holmes every day. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2