The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

27 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

I got Atom Willard to do a Q/A for us as well, send me your questions folks this is not a drill! 

Hell yea! That’s awesome. I want to ask him why he chose to leave social D for angels and airwaves, but let me refine that a little bit 

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

I got Atom Willard to do a Q/A for us as well, send me your questions folks this is not a drill! 

Damn nice work bro! 

did he get the feeling the love albums basically sounded the same and why didn’t anyone bring it up to Tom at the time.

Holy Shit, Atom is a major score. Welcome to the big time Ry!

So many questions, like the obvious Whats ur fav AVA song (i would expect an answer like Adventure), so maybe a follow-up of Whats ur fav AvA DEEP-cut? (I wonder if he even remembers all their album songs by name lol). I would love to hear you go thru EACH album indivually to get his specific stories on each instead of getting broad answers. Stories/memories on making them, after-thoughts on the results, high-lights vs least fav song, memories of touring them.

When AvA was first starting, were they aware of Tom's pain about how blink ended, or what it a silent unspoken thing. Were they aware how fucked up Tom was on the drugs or was he hiding it from them? Were they worried for his safety and/or sanity (aliens)? Band intervention? Were any of them legitamatiely pissed about his Jesus/Joshua Tree claims about WDNTW?

More specific insight into what went down with Ryan and Eddie leaving.

Did Tom have any 'out-there' ideas for AvA that rest of band had to say no to and reign him back in? Or vise versa, did the band have certain ideas for AvA that were pitched that Tom would shoot down?

A more detailed break down of his own departure from the band... his reasons for it, what was Tom's reaction (instant acceptance, tried to talk him into staying, caused ackwardness?), and the timeline of when in the Love2 process was it all decided on?

Did Tom/David/Matt stay in touch after he left? At any point did Tom reach out and feel out his interest in coming back to AvA?

Has he listened to, and what are this thoughts on Dream Walker, and expecially Rebel Girl and Kiss and Tell?

This might be a weird one, but im sure we are ALL interested in this type of stuff.... when Tom returned to Blink what was the feeling/mood in the AvA band? Did Tom just announce it to them in a blunt way? Ask for their approval/support? Openly admit during it that his heart wasnt in Blink? Could they silently detect his heart wasnt in Blink? Did they fear it would be the end of AvA? Did they believe Tom and Mark had fully made-up, or was it obvious they were faking it for the reunion?

And then the obvious thoughts on Travis Barker, and any interaction stories with Trav? Was he at the infamous bachlor party LOL

And there's gotta be some good tom/alien stories.

I feel like thats a full 45min interview right there

• Like 2

Merch -

- what has he worked on outside blink

- what advice would he give budding artists

Atom -

- how does he feel about AVAs releases since he left? 

- how different is playing in Against Me! to AVA

- How did he get involved with Tom and AVA

- favourite AVA memories

- Fave AVA song

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marik said:

Holy Shit, Atom is a major score. Welcome to the big time Ry!

So many questions, like the obvious Whats ur fav AVA song (i would expect an answer like Adventure), so maybe a follow-up of Whats ur fav AvA DEEP-cut? (I wonder if he even remembers all their album songs by name lol). I would love to hear you go thru EACH album indivually to get his specific stories on each instead of getting broad answers. Stories/memories on making them, after-thoughts on the results, high-lights vs least fav song, memories of touring them.

When AvA was first starting, were they aware of Tom's pain about how blink ended, or what it a silent unspoken thing. Were they aware how fucked up Tom was on the drugs or was he hiding it from them? Were they worried for his safety and/or sanity (aliens)? Band intervention? Were any of them legitamatiely pissed about his Jesus/Joshua Tree claims about WDNTW?

More specific insight into what went down with Ryan and Eddie leaving.

Did Tom have any 'out-there' ideas for AvA that rest of band had to say no to and reign him back in? Or vise versa, did the band have certain ideas for AvA that were pitched that Tom would shoot down?

A more detailed break down of his own departure from the band... his reasons for it, what was Tom's reaction (instant acceptance, tried to talk him into staying, caused ackwardness?), and the timeline of when in the Love2 process was it all decided on?

Did Tom/David/Matt stay in touch after he left? At any point did Tom reach out and feel out his interest in coming back to AvA?

Has he listened to, and what are this thoughts on Dream Walker, and expecially Rebel Girl and Kiss and Tell?

This might be a weird one, but im sure we are ALL interested in this type of stuff.... when Tom returned to Blink what was the feeling/mood in the AvA band? Did Tom just announce it to them in a blunt way? Ask for their approval/support? Openly admit during it that his heart wasnt in Blink? Could they silently detect his heart wasnt in Blink? Did they fear it would be the end of AvA? Did they believe Tom and Mark had fully made-up, or was it obvious they were faking it for the reunion?

And then the obvious thoughts on Travis Barker, and any interaction stories with Trav? Was he at the infamous bachlor party LOL

And there's gotta be some good tom/alien stories.

I feel like thats a full 45min interview right there

Jesus he asked for a couple questions lol. And why would he have been at Travis’s bachelor party??? That was before AVA was even a band.

My two questions:

1) what allured him to Angels and Airwaves so much as to leave social distortion and forgo ever recording an album with them? Does he still talk to Mike Ness?

2) His “ketamine for breakfast” drum cover was super awesome! Can we expect anymore drum covers in a similar vein soon?

• Like 1

https://www.stereogum.com/2073682/mount-eerie-phil-elverum-blink-182-podcast/news/

Mount Eerie’s Phil Elverum appeared as a guest on yesterday’s Valentine’s Day episode of the Blink-182 fan podcast Blink-155, self-described by its hosts as “an unnecessary podcast that reviews every Blink-182 song.” As Pitchfork reports, Elverum called into the show to talk about “I Miss You,” the ballad from the pop-punk trio’s 2003 self-titled album. Or, as Elverum charmingly calls it, “this incoherent shitpile.”

Elverum says that he had never listened to Blink-182 before this podcast, and “I Miss You” is the first Blink-182 song he heard. “The first time I listened, I was just baffled. I watched the video, which was maybe sensory overload. And then the second time I just listened it and I was like, ‘Hah, I like this. This is interesting. This is cool.’ And then since then, yeah, it’s gone downhill,” he explains. “Just now in the car, I realized there’s one verse, a chorus, then one verse, and the whole last half of the song is the chorus over and over … That’s too much. You have to have a little bit more content, even if the content is this incoherent mush of Nightmare Before Christmas inference.”

“I tried to understand the first and second verses on their own, because they’re two different singers, and I sort of started thinking of the song as two different songs that are interwoven — which is cool, your band has two singers and they’re both singing different songs that somehow interweave?” he continues. “That’s maybe a generous way of hearing this song, but that’s what I started doing and I enjoyed that. The first verse is saying one thing … I don’t know what it is exactly, but it’s basically saying, ‘I’m sad, I live in the valley of the shadows, find me and we’ll hang out there, Nightmare Before Christmas, my favorite film.’”

When asked if he ever had a punk phase, Elverum says that he didn’t: “No, is the answer. Using Nirvana and Pearl Jam, I somehow leap-frogged from MC Hammer to Beat Happening … Weezer is maybe the closest I had in my life to this. That’s pop-punk. It’s a little bit less bad, but still in the same vein.” And when the hosts say that “through people like Lil Peep or the emo-rap movement, Mount Eerie or the Microphones and “I Miss You” are kind of in the same vague playlist for some people,” Elverum has a priceless response: “That’s devastating … that’s the worst thing I’ve ever heard.”

Listen to the full podcast below; Elverum shows up at the 2:29:20 mark.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Jesus he asked for a couple questions lol. And why would he have been at Travis’s bachelor party??? That was before AVA was even a band.

Lol, yeah but i figure theres a good chance they knew each other in the drummer community. Probably even as far back as Aquabats days

For Chris Siglin: I would just like to know more about how he transitioned from merch guy to merch designer and what were the first merch ideas he had back in the day that he was proud of. (I couldn't phrase it worse than that so maybe @Ry-Bread just change it to normal english lol)

For Atom: this is not a question and I'm  not even sure you should ask him, but I remember Atom saying, at the time he was in that project with Matt Skiba (theHELL), that he had a big talk with Skiba one night about a "revaluation" of his career and priorities, setting standards for himself etc. etc. and that talk played a big part on his choice to leave Angels and Airwaves to join Against Me. I think it's funny that it happened because of Matt Skiba, who eventually joined blink to take over for Tom and I would like to hear how he feels about this in hindsight.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Speedo said:

@Ry-Bread, I don't want to take away from anyone else's question since they are more on topic. I have only one question for Atom, if it gets worked in then great, if not it's cool:

Can he give any update on the new AM! album in the works? 

I’d like to know this too! Join it with my question about a new theHELL release.

13 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

probably shouldn't ask him this but I wonder how Atom felt about blink coming back and basically taking away his full-time job at AVA, only for Tom to leave blink-182 again a few years later.

I always wondered this as well. Lets face it Tom just couldn't handle having two bands.