The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

10 hours ago, Kay said:

I struggle with Travis though, I think BCR was peak Travis regarding his parts and style. he shines in parts of self titled and +44 but not quite the same heights, and it's like after that he just wanted to over complicate everything. he 'over drums' is basically how I feel about it. he's amazing obviously, but a lot of the time it's... unnecessary? doesn't really add anything? idk. personal taste I guess. 

California and Deluxe is the definition of over drumming, but Neighborhoods felt like he was making up for the lack of interest Mark and Tom were bringing in... It was a bit messy but it would have been really slow without it.  

• Like 1

Just now, Diddy Faplord said:

Not really his self titled though. He was as good in TOYPAJ as he has ever been. 

Not my point, speaking in terms of creativity/artistry.  Every song was different drumming and astray from the course.  TOYPAJ, Boxcar, Self Titled was peak Travis and his distinct style.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

Not my point, speaking in terms of creativity/artistry.  Every song was different drumming and astray from the course.  TOYPAJ, Boxcar, Self Titled was peak Travis and his distinct style.

I mean to be honest the drums aren’t that different but I appreciate the point you were trying to make 

On 3/9/2020 at 8:20 PM, Champ182 said:

I don't like the sound of electronic drums in almost anything, but it's not necessarily a sign that the music sucks or anything.

A weird thing that I only recently realized was somewhat common though is that a sometimes engineers/producers will sample a "perfect" snare hit or bass drum hit or whatever, and then go through a recorded track and replace each one throughout the entire song with the "perfect" sample so that it's uniformly consistent throughout the song. That is way too weird and inauthentic for me.

It's not sometimes, that method is used on 90% of all the rock releases we all know and love since the 90s..

On 3/10/2020 at 3:19 PM, Kay said:

I struggle with Travis though, I think BCR was peak Travis regarding his parts and style. he shines in parts of self titled and +44 but not quite the same heights, and it's like after that he just wanted to over complicate everything. he 'over drums' is basically how I feel about it. he's amazing obviously, but a lot of the time it's... unnecessary? doesn't really add anything? idk. personal taste I guess. 

Totally agreed, he always had a feel for when he could bring in those parts and when to hold back, but since Neighborhoods it was all over the place. He found his way back on NINE though imo

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 1:19 AM, Kay said:

i loved his drumming on neighbourhoods and DED still, california 1 it is shite over the top and california 2 not much better. 9 is a slight improvement. truth is he just makes better songs with tom and without a shitty pop studio team

• Like 2

Wow some cool insight from Rick DeVoe on this podcast, first blink talk around ~33:45, Scott/Travis talk around 48:00, Tom/BCR talk 58:00

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/rick-devoe-manager/id1367830700?i=1000468747684

He said they were having issues with Scott (also told a story prior to this where he mentioned Scott had been drinking too much) and Tom came to him and said "We need Travis Barker in this band."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

Bean retired from the show not too long ago, right? And now this? 

yeah bean retired last year i think. still, shocking they just up and fired him on the spot, considering the legacy he’s got. he did a lot for KROQ. 

9 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

Wow some cool insight from Rick DeVoe on this podcast, first blink talk around ~33:45, Scott/Travis talk around 48:00, Tom/BCR talk 58:00

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/rick-devoe-manager/id1367830700?i=1000468747684

He said they were having issues with Scott (also told a story prior to this where he mentioned Scott had been drinking too much) and Tom came to him and said "We need Travis Barker in this band."

Wow, thanks for this, listened to the whole thing. Your hear that @Russel Coight? Rick confirms Australia broke blink.

1 minute ago, Jan's Plan said:

Wow, thanks for this, listened to the whole thing. Your hear that @Russel Coight? Rick confirms Australia broke blink.

Haven’t had a chance to listen. What he say? I’m guessing something to do with the whole sound wave fiasco?

On 3/18/2020 at 12:25 PM, Ry-Bread said:

Ive rarley heard Rick speak so this is super interesting, 

Do we know of anywhere else Rick has opened up like this ? 

• Like 1