The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

7 hours ago, M!ke said:

If Man Overboard had appeared on Enema of the State, where in the tracklist do you think it would fit best?  I feel like between Wendy Clear and Anthem is a pretty good spot for it.

I honestly don't think it would fit on the album. It seems more mature and less straight up pop which is what enema is. 

19 minutes ago, Knapppers said:

I honestly don't think it would fit on the album. It seems more mature and less straight up pop which is what enema is. 

Mark says Jerry didn't like it and that's why it didn't make the onto Enema.  It's funny to me that the song Jerry didn't like, was one of their more mature songs.  But then again Enema of the State has Adam's Song on it, and that's definitely more mature than Man Overboard is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M!ke said:

Mark says Jerry didn't like it and that's why it didn't make the onto Enema.

they demoed it at DML in escondido with partial lyrics; curious that jerry didn't like it. i always assumed it was intentionally held by the label to make sure there was a single in 2000 to hang the live album on.

• Like 2

It is interesting, I always knew Man Overboard was written in the Enema era but I always sort of associate it more with the TOYPAJ era.

To be fair, the two eras aren't very different. In my mind I actually consider those two albums part of the same era of blink, but TOYPAJ does feel slightly different.

Blink "eras" are sort of split by album pairs in my mind. Cheshire and Dude Ranch are early blink era. Enema and TOYPAJ are their own era. Untitled and Neighborhoods are the hiatus era (lol, I don't actually have names for any of these eras), and then California and NINE are the new era.

It's not perfect because obviously Cheshire and Dude Ranch are different. Untitled and Neighborhoods are different. Cali and Nine are different. But they kind of still all work as pairs at the same time.

I dunno I'm just rambling at this point lol

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

It is interesting, I always knew Man Overboard was written in the Enema era but I always sort of associate it more with the TOYPAJ era.

To be fair, the two eras aren't very different. In my mind I actually consider those two albums part of the same era of blink, but TOYPAJ does feel slightly different.

Blink "eras" are sort of split by album pairs in my mind. Cheshire and Dude Ranch are early blink era. Enema and TOYPAJ are their own era. Untitled and Neighborhoods are the hiatus era (lol, I don't actually have names for any of these eras), and then California and NINE are the new era.

It's not perfect because obviously Cheshire and Dude Ranch are different. Untitled and Neighborhoods are different. Cali and Nine are different. But they kind of still all work as pairs at the same time.

I dunno I'm just rambling at this point lol

No, I completely agree, always felt the same when it comes to Blink's eras'

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jan's Plan said:

I think Man Overboard could have been a good closer, love that song.  Anthem was just okay, but anthems were a 'thing' at the time. 

Man Overboard probably would make for a better closer.  BUT, i really like the thing they've got going on where Enema of the State ends with Anthem, and then their next proper album, TOYPAJ, starts with Anthem pt 2.  There's like a sense of poetry or something there that I wouldn't want to disturb.

12 hours ago, Jan's Plan said:

I think Man Overboard could have been a good closer, love that song.  Anthem was just okay, but anthems were a 'thing' at the time. 

WHAT?! 

Anthem might just be my favourite song from the Enema & Take Off era haha. Although I do think Man Overboard would've made a great closer as track 13 on the album.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Cheshire/Dude Ranch - Learning their craft era

Enema - Bright clothes big hits era

TOYPAJ - Black clothes big hits era

Untitled - Artistic peak era

Neighborhoods/DED - Reunion era

California/Deluxe/NINE - Different band era

I'd throw Boxcar in with Untitled but yeah that's how I view it too haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

California/Deluxe/NINE - Different Band era

Lol funny you say that because that's how I always differentiated Enema and TOYPAJ.

Enema I think of red shirt Mark, backwards hat Tom, TOYPAJ I think of baggy black clothing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Champ182 said:

California/Deluxe/NINE - Different band era

This is how I see it too!!!!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neal said:

I am confused. Is man overboard some kind of fan favorite song on here?

is it not one of yours? it's easily in their top tier of work, it's glorious. 

• Like 7