The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

10 minutes ago, Thibaut182 said:

one of the things that has irritated me the most about tom since his ‘05 breakdown is this persistent belief that blink was somehow less powerful, in some way less able to impact peoples’ lives. it doesn’t always have to be minute-plus intros and lazy U2-copying riffs. in every way since that time he’s sought to view blink through a different lens than almost everyone and that is why the band will never be the same.

• Like 9

53 minutes ago, boxelder said:

one of the things that has irritated me the most about tom since his ‘05 breakdown is this persistent belief that blink was somehow less powerful, in some way less able to impact peoples’ lives. it doesn’t always have to be minute-plus intros and lazy U2-copying riffs. in every way since that time he’s sought to view blink through a different lens than almost everyone and that is why the band will never be the same.

I would have loved if blink continued on the untitled sound and carried some of AVA themes in their song’s. 

1 hour ago, boxelder said:

Yeah and it's much like how Mark views Blink as solely this formulatic pop punk about teenage angst instead of being a creative vision that many of us clinged to.  We might have laughed at their immature humor, but we all 'got' the music behind it, it was pop punk but it was very unique and only they could make that sound and be likeable enough to sell it.

Travis has been the only one who didn't become jaded and view the band in a different lens, he still sees it as just another drum gig lol

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jan's Plan said:

Yeah and it's much like how Mark views Blink as solely this formulatic pop punk about teenage angst instead of being a creative vision that many of us clinged to.  We might have laughed at their immature humor, but we all 'got' the music behind it, it was pop punk but it was very unique and only they could make that sound and be likeable enough to sell it.

Travis has been the only one who didn't become jaded and view the band in a different lens, he still sees it as just another drum gig lol

Travis just respects what got him to where he was. His passion lies in creating and collaborating with the Hip Hop and Rap scene and that’s great for him, but he always puts blink as a priority. 

• Like 4

Always found it weird when Tom said he wanted AVA to be this band that brings hope to the world and to be one of the best bands of his generation. It's weird and ironic because he had all that in blink. Blink impacted so many lives and they were becoming more than just a pop punk band after the smiley face album. They were turning into the next huge rock band that hasn't been seen since Nirvana IMO. I honestly feel that 6th blink album that could've happened in 05-06 would've been bigger than Green Day's American Idiot.

Mark was perfectly happy for blink to keep doing music and it seems like he needs people for inspiration (Tom was pretty much +44's influence because of the blink break up etc) hence bringing Skiba, Feldman and some co-writers on board. So it wasn't like Mark was against Tom or anything before 2005.

I just feel like Tom forgot what blink-182 actually was. It was never some band about youth or whatever stuff he says in some of his interviews. Blink was pretty much what he wanted AVA to be.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

New song from The Used with Travis, actually sounds like FOB to me lol

i think i might be hearing how it would sound to u like fob

i have to realy twist in my mind to make it sound like fob

great song and nice to hear the used with travis drums

i think he did a good job

not too all over the place like hes been doing as of late

great little drum fill @ 0:26

8 hours ago, boxelder said:

never got the impression that tom saw blink as a lesser reaching thing

do u have any links with him expressing that?

tom's interest are not at making blink music and theres a chance it may never will again

tom as evolved and moved to other things

and blink doesnt fit where hes at or what he wants to do

ICYMI in the sticker contest thread, I had the stickers made! If you want one, shoot me a PM. $5/each shipped USA (international folks I'm going to USPS today to verify the extra stamps needed, but should just be a few extra bucks). ALL proceeds will be donated to Children's Hospital LA in one of Mark's Twitch streams from blink-182online. I also had a few of @daveyjones OG bunny design made that are available for the same price, but require 2 years tenure on the boards. (Those are not being offered on social media, kinda want them as a "badge" of sorts for board members.)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, boxelder said:

19 hours ago, Jan's Plan said:

14 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

Always found it weird when Tom said he wanted AVA to be this band that brings hope to the world and to be one of the best bands of his generation. It's weird and ironic because he had all that in blink. Blink impacted so many lives and they were becoming more than just a pop punk band after the smiley face album. They were turning into the next huge rock band that hasn't been seen since Nirvana IMO. I honestly feel that 6th blink album that could've happened in 05-06 would've been bigger than Green Day's American Idiot.

Mark was perfectly happy for blink to keep doing music and it seems like he needs people for inspiration (Tom was pretty much +44's influence because of the blink break up etc) hence bringing Skiba, Feldman and some co-writers on board. So it wasn't like Mark was against Tom or anything before 2005.

I just feel like Tom forgot what blink-182 actually was. It was never some band about youth or whatever stuff he says in some of his interviews. Blink was pretty much what he wanted AVA to be.

Agree with all of these posts. I don't think they would've become on the level of Nirvana, and American Idiot just happened to be a right band/right place/right time type of phenomenon, but it's absolutely 100% true that Blink gave Tom everything he publicly claimed he wanted in a band, MUCH MUCH more-so than any new band he created could have done. Arena tours, massive influence, freedom to break out of their genre, inspiration to millions, etc.

What it didn't give him was total control. Based on all the context we have, I think rightly or wrongly he clearly thought that Mark wasn't willing or able to keep pushing the band beyond "teenage dick jokes" or whatever, and he felt that responsibility was all on his shoulders. Which of course led to fights and exhaustion with each other and Tom's ego exploding.

Who the hell knows what Tom would've been like from 2005-2009 if Blink had just continued smoothly instead of blowing up, but if he never lost his mind and dove into inspirational/ego trip/AVA shit, and the 3 of them kept their relationships and creative spark alive we would've gotten some incredible music. It's such a shame.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Agree with all of these posts. I don't think they would've become on the level of Nirvana, and American Idiot just happened to be a right band/right place/right time type of phenomenon, but it's absolutely 100% true that Blink gave Tom everything he publicly claimed he wanted in a band, MUCH MUCH more-so than any new band he created could have done. Arena tours, massive influence, freedom to break out of their genre, inspiration to millions, etc.

What it didn't give him was total control. Based on all the context we have, I think rightly or wrongly he clearly thought that Mark wasn't willing or able to keep pushing the band beyond "teenage dick jokes" or whatever, and he felt that responsibility was all on his shoulders. Which of course led to fights and exhaustion with each other and Tom's ego exploding.

Who the hell knows what Tom would've been like from 2005-2009 if Blink had just continued smoothly instead of blowing up, but if he never lost his mind and dove into inspirational/ego trip/AVA shit, and the 3 of them kept their relationships and creative spark alive we would've gotten some incredible music. It's such a shame.

Or, you know, he just wanted to do something else.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, boxelder said:

problem is he could have done that with blink. there was no reason and already a precedent set for branching out musically. he's just a control freak

People grow out of things, now its a means to financial ends for him. He and Mark built it, why shouldn't he be allowed to reap the fruits of his labor and pursue other passions? Because the band means something to other people? That's crazy talk. When in your life have you ever not been allowed to move on from something?

• Like 1

He may have wanted to do other things, and I would support him if he did it in a good manner. The real problem for me is that he continues to confirm that he gives shit for blink and its fans. He hasn't cared for blink in 15 years - thats at least what it looks like. The reunion was a big PR-thing for AvA, and every time he speaks about Hoppus and Barker it always lines up with some commercial aspect as well. As a huge fan of blink I dont want to hear from a former member that was he is now doing something more ambitious and important. Its my band you know, and thats important to me and a lot of others. Talk about shitting on your fanbase.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lindemulder said:

He may have wanted to do other things, and I would support him if he did it in a good manner. The real problem for me is that he continues to confirm that he gives shit for blink and its fans. He hasn't cared for blink in 15 years - thats at least what it looks like. The reunion was a big PR-thing for AvA, and every time he speaks about Hoppus and Barker it always lines up with some commercial aspect as well. As a huge fan of blink I dont want to hear from a former member that was he is now doing something more ambitious and important. Its my band you know, and thats important to me and a lot of others. Talk about shitting on your fanbase.

You sound like a jilted lover.