The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

2 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Blinkcentral was my start. I found this website through that one.

No shit? That was my first too! Then b182. Then the +44 website then I came here thinking I was at the "new" b182 site before realizing it was completely different people arguing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

No shit? That was my first too! Then b182. Then the +44 website then I came here thinking I was at the "new" b182 site before realizing it was completely different people arguing.

Yeah I barely posted on it. Just used it to watch the music videos I think. Then popped over her to get some bootlegs I think and hung around.

• Like 1

no bones about it, i'm fairly sure that single b182 interview completely colored my opinion about the band from the start. it was still online when i became a fan in 08/09, and i was curious to see why they broke up in the first place. to this day, it's a good read, and very honest. i don't think, like @Neal suggests, that mark is in any way exaggerating. he's always struck me as a fairly straightforward guy, which is visible at other points in that (clearly-emailed) Q&A. in a sense, i view the 2015 rolling stone 'tell-all' as a sequel of sorts... basically, an overzealous venting of how they were treated by tom. it's no secret that these quotes, from both, pretty much tell the story since '05:

Tom was deciding when we would tour, how we would tour, when we would have time off, when we would record, and how we could record. One person was dictating everything.

He said not to try and call Tom, that he had already changed his number and didn’t want to talk to us.

To be honest, I wasn’t that surprised because his attitude leading up to that had been not excited and not interested.

It’s hard to cover for someone who’s disrespectful and ungrateful. Everyone should know what the story is with him and it’s been years with it. 

I think he’s just in shock that he’s finally been exposed. The truth is out. I just don’t think he knows how to deal with it, so he says, “I didn’t quit the band. I’m booking Blink shows as we speak.” You’re not the booking agent. We all know that’s a lie.

You don’t want to twist any grown man’s arm to do anything he doesn’t want to do, but step up to the plate and say, “Yeah, I don’t want to play with those guys. I’ve been saying I’d record with the guys for the last two or three years and I’ll just do Blink shows when I need money.”

It’s been years of pushing back and I have to tell you: It feels humiliating to be in a band where you have to be apologizing for one person all the time. That’s how it’s felt for a long time.

• Like 3

Just now, just_bringing_good_chats said:

just put on boxcar racer album im gonna listen from first to last

havent heard this in years 

i will post my reaction after last track

done, 

i love how everything is well spaced out in terms of whats inside each songs  not too much going on all at once

what makes these songs sound so big is having the right things at right place 

great top tier work again from the late jerry fin

i love how "tuned down" the whole thing sound idk what sort of tunning tom used for this? sounds like regular tuning but the guitar tones r extremly dark 

super dark and in its own bubble

travis drum tracks are this good not too much just the right stuff at right time

this is by far one of tom's finniest work to date, underated shoulnt be

9 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Yeah I barely posted on it. Just used it to watch the music videos I think. Then popped over her to get some bootlegs I think and hung around.

I was just getting confident as a poster then the 2005 breakup happened then I dunno what happened, it just disappeared one day..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Neal said:

I have a love/hate relationship with that b182 mark interview. I kinda love it but i also think it's the stupidest thing ever.

Like there is a lot of nice inside into the bands seperation, but at the same time, mark was so desperate to have the blink fans on his side..... i think a  lot of the answers were exaggerated/made up, to gain him popularity amongst the fanbaser after the split.

Same thing happen in 2005: the whole story about tom's infmaous mail "tom. is. out." ... he contradicted that story in some interviews, sometimes mentioned aphonecall, sometimes tom sendt the email, sometimes rick.... 

there is no question tom quit that band. But there is  no doubt in my mind mark helped to spin it in a way, that only tom looked at fault for the whole situation.

Sorry neal I’ve had a good look around and can’t find any contradictory quotes from mark. It’s always been an email sent to them by Tom’s manager saying Tom is out, sometimes they just say Tom quit and don’t specify the manager doing it for him but it’s always the same scenario.

Gonna have to label this some Tombot fan fiction to make Mark look like the bad guy.

24 minutes ago, iguessthisisgrowingup said:

"It feels humiliating to be in a band where you have to be apologizing for one person all the time"

that shit hit really hard when i first read it

it kinda confirmed all the fan speculation in one sentence

100% true. it's not surprising given the past how this board and other communities had been predicting/theorizing for years that tom was barely invested. it was so satisfying to have the band come out and say it, in the most vicious way. i just wasn't prepared for the left turn they'd make, but it's definitely made for an interesting period of their career

• Like 1

double post but did anyone see mark's blink ranking? it's interesting to see the consensus is pretty universal that feeling this was the "apex", as he says. in the comments he also praises anthem pt 2 as some of tom's best songwriting: "gives me chills"

• Like 2
  • Crab 1

24 minutes ago, boxelder said:

double post but did anyone see mark's blink ranking? it's interesting to see the consensus is pretty universal that feeling this was the "apex", as he says. in the comments he also praises anthem pt 2 as some of tom's best songwriting: "gives me chills"

I couldn't agree less. 

4 minutes ago, Lindemulder said:

Theres not really any reason for Hoppus to do interviews anymore.. how he is interacting with the fans so frequently is so cool. But anyone else think its a little weird that he is ranking his band songs like that?

No, first time I've seen him be honest on a while. Was expecting him to put Darkside or something bogus in the finals.

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

51 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

funny to see his abbreviations compared to what we usually use. (“Roses” vs. ATST, “College” vs. GATC, etc)

I much prefer it this way. Many of the acronyms don't immediately register for me as song titles and it takes me an embarrassingly long time to figure out what is being said.

1 hour ago, boxelder said:

Man they're never gunna stop playing first date. 

• Haha 5