The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

10 hours ago, Dylan_ said:

I was just at the grocery store and the guy working the register noticed my blink tattoo. We got chatting about our favorite blink albums and then I asked him if he enjoys the newer stuff and he had no idea that blink were still making music with with a new band member.

This is my third interaction in the last couple of months with someone who used to love blink and they don’t know blink are still releasing music haha kind of crazy 

I know. I have 2 blink tattoos and it happens to me alot. Most people don't know their still making music. I don't get it. Loyal fans Vs fake fans. Am I right?

• Like 1

Getting ready for the heat...

Blink 182 introduced me to the world of punk rock or as some sophisticated cats like to call it punk pop. Enema of the State was the first Album I ever bought; as a careless 15-year old adolescent. Since then the band has been a constant part of my life.

I was lucky enough to catch them live 3-4 times so far. I live in europe so chances are rather slim. However I have to admit every time sucked. They play their set which lasts approx. one hour, crack some jokes (pre Matt Skiba) and get off stage. That's it! The only time they did something close to an encore was during a open-air gig where Travis son took to the stage for a pretty sweet drum solo.

So far I was always under the impression this only happens in europe but I've met other fans since and this seems to be a constant thing with their live performances. What's your experience? I'm really curious to know. Maybe it's just me :roll:

BTW, just to give you an idea of what a concert can be. Green Day played the same open air at the time and they killed it in every way! 2+ hours non stop performance and the whole connection to the crowd was far and beyond from Blink 182.

3 hours ago, Iblinkfor182Always said:

I know. I have 2 blink tattoos and it happens to me alot. Most people don't know their still making music. I don't get it. Loyal fans Vs fake fans. Am I right?

It has absolutely nothing to do with that, not everyone scours the Internet to check in with music, the likelihood is that the news just never reached them. It's not like any Skiba blink has blown up the airwaves like the ATST or I Miss You days. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, marksdog said:

Blink 182 introduced me to the world of punk rock or as some sophisticated cats like to call it punk pop. Enema of the State was the first Album I ever bought; as a careless 15-year old adolescent. Since then the band has been a constant part of my life.

I was lucky enough to catch them live 3-4 times so far. I live in europe so chances are rather slim. However I have to admit every time sucked. They play their set which lasts approx. one hour, crack some jokes (pre Matt Skiba) and get off stage. That's it! The only time they did something close to an encore was during a open-air gig where Travis son took to the stage for a pretty sweet drum solo.

So far I was always under the impression this only happens in europe but I've met other fans since and this seems to be a constant thing with their live performances. What's your experience? I'm really curious to know. Maybe it's just me :roll:

BTW, just to give you an idea of what a concert can be. Green Day played the same open air at the time and they killed it in every way! 2+ hours non stop performance and the whole connection to the crowd was far and beyond from Blink 182.

I've seen blink two times in Europe. Once at a festival on the reunion tour, once at an arena on the neighborhoods tour. The first show was amazing just because i was so starstruck to see these guys i've been following for a decade or so and it was the first time to see them in person.

The second show was an absolute blast. The setlist was nice and they came up with some really good jokes. I agree though, compared to other bands they don't offer much live. But an arena full of blink fans going crazy was an amazing experience.

Green Day however, was unbearable for me to watch live. I've seen a lot of bands over the last years, but green day was definately a low point for me.

15 minutes ago, Neal said:

I've seen blink two times in Europe. Once at a festival on the reunion tour, once at an arena on the neighborhoods tour. The first show was amazing just because i was so starstruck to see these guys i've been following for a decade or so and it was the first time to see them in person.

The second show was an absolute blast. The setlist was nice and they came up with some really good jokes. I agree though, compared to other bands they don't offer much live. But an arena full of blink fans going crazy was an amazing experience.

Green Day however, was unbearable for me to watch live. I've seen a lot of bands over the last years, but green day was definately a low point for me.

First show ever I had the exact same feeling! After that it was just downhill for me or maybe just a more sober (no pun intended) experience. Sure I still loved seeing them live and yes being in a crowd with hundres of like-minded fans is a blast. I remember one time their opening act was Motion City Soundtrack and during another concert The All American Rejects. The latter stole the show for me, great performance not to mention Tyson Ritter's voice was spot-on.

I'm curious about Green Day though, what happened? I've seen them during their Revolution Radio Tour and it was one of the best so far...

8 hours ago, marksdog said:

blink 182 is my favorite band of all time. they are underrated songwriters and made some of the greatest punk anthems ever. what they are not is a good live band. they never have and never will be. mark is woefully out-of-practice, both he and tom need vocal lessons, and matt is there for a paycheck at this point. plus modern-day blink lacks chemistry. i’m glad they’re around and i’ll always see them but the only member worthwhile is travis.

all said, pre-breakup blink was certainly entertaining in a sloppy and explicit way. today, with the backing tracks and metronome and shit, it’s nowhere near the same 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, boxelder said:

blink 182 is my favorite band of all time. they are underrated songwriters and made some of the greatest punk anthems ever. what they are not is a good live band. they never have and never will be. mark is woefully out-of-practice, both he and tom need vocal lessons, and matt is there for a paycheck at this point. plus modern-day blink lacks chemistry. i’m glad they’re around and i’ll always see them but the only member worthwhile is travis.

all said, pre-breakup blink was certainly entertaining in a sloppy and explicit way. today, with the backing tracks and metronome and shit, it’s nowhere near the same 

I think they were probably a fucking blast to see live in smaller venues in their super early days, then they had a run from like 98-99-2000 or so when they actually were a legitimately sweet live band who sounded tight and sang well and had the perfect balance of relatively professional musicianship, great songs including some new giant hits, and fun "we're just lucky punks like all of you" looseness. Then in the Untitled era again they were awesome live in a different way. Unfortunately those years have been dwarfed by all the very subpar live performances in their history at this point haha. Other than Travis, like you mentioned. He always brings it no matter what.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, Neal said:

So you don’t enjoy bands that actually know how to play their songs live?

7 hours ago, daveyjones said:

in the fall of 1996? yes. today? no.

Did you ever borrow $20 from the man?

and this bums me out. If he knew you back then (which I am not disputing) , it pains me to think that he’d shut the door on you. I’d like to hope he’d bring you in and warm up some of his moms leftover lasagna for you. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kay said:

It has absolutely nothing to do with that, not everyone scours the Internet to check in with music, the likelihood is that the news just never reached them. It's not like any Skiba blink has blown up the airwaves like the ATST or I Miss You days. 

Well excuse the f**k out of me. Jesus

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

If this is Travis though, it sounds pretty vintage to me drumwise and I like it overdone better here than on California

I assume it’s Travis. Doubt he’d pay another drummer to come in lol. I’m the biggest Travis fan you’ll find (aside from not having a Famous tattoo and trying to mimic his drum set up)...but he has done stuff that lame. Recording a track for Avril Lavigne and now producing this crap. I guess I just don’t like MGK. He wouldn’t be shit if he wasn’t “cute” to all his little fan girls. The music sucks. You want a god white rapper? Go listen to Rittz. 

3 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

It’s ok we forgive you. Lol jk but I don’t think she was trying to be mean. 

Lol. Thank you. That actually makes me feel a little better. I do think the comment sounds like my opinion on my own experience in her opinion (not her experience) is right no matter what. Anyhow no biggie. 😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Iblinkfor182Always said:

Lol. Thank you. That actually makes me feel a little better. I do think the comment sounds like my opinion on my own experience in her opinion (not her experience) is right no matter what. Anyhow no biggie. 😉

Oh I get it, for sure! I do think there are fake or casual fans too.  But I also think Kay was right that not everyone keeps up with music online like you or I may do.  I was kind of a dick when we were ranking songs from each blink album on this site...I tend to hate on the ones that try to tell me First Date is better than Give Me One Good Reason. lol. So I understand where you’re coming from. 

• Like 1