The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Pop Punk was specific genre that was short lived from about '99 to '03 because Green Day and Blink popularized a new glossier/brighter sounding punk with catchy pop melodies and everyone and their mother wanted to be like them from the likes of Yellowcard to Good Charlotte.

That all ended after American Idiot/Untitled came out and started a wave of new genres branching off from pop punk/emo and the rest is history.  

• Crab 2

27 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

Today I learned blink 182, sum 41, and good charlotte were just pop all this time. Everyone else on the internet is wrong. Thank God for this forum

Also Jan, how can you call this not pop punk, but those other emo rapper songs with Travis pop punk? This has more guitar and bass than any of those

Log off mate

• Haha 1

This is a bizarre thing to split hairs over just because it's me who said it. Literally everyone is referring to it as pop punk besides 2 bozos on this website.

So is California not pop punk because it was made in 2016? I'm well aware of what happened to the genre and how emo type bands like FOB/ MCR came about.

I think I'll listen to Travis Barker over Speedo and Kay from blink online LOL

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

Pop Punk was specific genre that was short lived from about '99 to '03 because Green Day and Blink popularized a new glossier/brighter sounding punk with catchy pop melodies and everyone and their mother wanted to be like them from the likes of Yellowcard to Good Charlotte.

That all ended after American Idiot/Untitled came out and started a wave of new genres branching off from pop punk/emo and the rest is history.  

This is false. 

One could argue that pop punk can trace back to bands like Ramones... personally, I wouldn't go that far but it isn't a huge stretch either. Pop punk took off in the mid to late 80's and continues on to this day. I'd classify bands like later Blink, Good Charlotte, Sum41 as more commercial punk than anything, definitely not the definition of pop punk. That says nothing of their talent nor is it a stab at anyone who listens to that style, it's just an offshoot of pop punk ... an easy digestible version of an already softened up, melodic side of punk music.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

This is a bizarre thing to split hairs over just because it's me who said it. Literally everyone is referring to it as pop punk besides 2 bozos on this website.

So is California not pop punk because it was made in 2016? I'm well aware of what happened to the genre and how emo type bands like FOB/ MCR came about.

No one is splitting hairs, pedo. You're just wrong... and stupid ... some would say you're wrong because you're stupid but I don't think that's the case ... No, I think you purposely make yourself appear to be wrong all the time to seek some sort of punishment as fucked up atonement for actively pursuing children sexually. I think you think the humiliation justifies your sickness. It does not.

8 minutes ago, Speedo said:

This is false. 

One could argue that pop punk can trace back to bands like Ramones... personally, I wouldn't go that far but it isn't a huge stretch either. Pop punk took off in the mid to late 80's and continues on to this day. I'd classify bands like later Blink, Good Charlotte, Sum41 as more commercial punk than anything, definitely not the definition of pop punk. That says nothing of their talent nor is it a stab at anyone who listens to that style, it's just an offshoot of pop punk ... an easy digestible version of an already softened up, melodic side of punk music.

I just classify them differently than Ramones, Sex Pistols, Descendents and other versions of lighter punk.

I guess you could say 'early 2000s pop punk', but that doesn't roll off as nicely. It was definitely it's own distinguished genre though (blink, green day, knock offs) I don't consider them anything in the same as Ramones.

Genre arguments are annoying. All I'm saying is that was a distinct era and no this Machine Gun Kelly song is not the same genre or a new iteration of it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

Genre arguments are annoying. All I'm saying is that was a distinct era and no this Machine Gun Kelly song is not the same genre or a new iteration of it.

Agreed.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Speedo said:

No one is splitting hairs, pedo. You're just wrong... and stupid ... some would say you're wrong because you're stupid but I don't think that's the case ... No, I think you purposely make yourself appear to be wrong all the time to seek some sort of punishment as fucked up atonement for actively pursuing children sexually. I think you think the humiliation justifies your sickness. It does not.

This is the guy asking if I took my meds LOL

@Neal mate, it's pop punk, accept it. If anyone's upset it's Kay, Speedo, and yourself getting your panties all triggered like a bunch of babies. 

If this song was by Machine Gun Bob, this wouldn't even be a conversation.

This is the story about a "Rapper" that found out he doesnt have the chops for a sistainable career in rap, so he desperatly tried his luck at another genre and failed miserably.

Mgk is a fucking disgrace. Cant stand the cunt

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

This is the guy asking if I took my meds LOL

@Neal mate, it's pop punk, accept it. If anyone's upset it's Kay, Speedo, and yourself getting your panties all triggered like a bunch of babies. 

If this song was by Machine Gun Bob, this wouldn't even be a conversation.

I'm not upset that you're wrong, I'm upset that you're using it to fuel your pedophilia. 

14 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

I hate to say it but I'd probably listen to Kay and Speedo over Travis Barker in some cases.

19 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

See I figured this was some kind of personal vendetta. I could say the same thing about him being a rapper for a lot of his songs. 

"He's not a rapper, he's a pop singer"

Well they are probably better at picking wives

No. Its just not a pop punk song. 

That genre died almost two decades ago as it should. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jan's Plan said:

No. 

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

43 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

I just classify them differently than Ramones, Sex Pistols, Descendents and other versions of lighter punk.

I guess you could say 'early 2000s pop punk', but that doesn't roll off as nicely. It was definitely it's own distinguished genre though (blink, green day, knock offs) I don't consider them anything in the same as Ramones.

• Like 3