The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

I find it very interesting how often Mark replies to people who ask if Tom is coming back. If he didn’t want Tom back at all you would think he would just ignore those questions.  

Part of me thinks there has been at least some communication about Tom coming back at some point in the future. 

• Like 1

It's inevitable that Tom comes back. I just hope he does it in a way that is for blink and the fans and not a blatant cash grab or marketing tool. I think Mark will guard against that.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Ghent said:

It's inevitable that Tom comes back. I just hope he does it in a way that is for blink and the fans and not a blatant cash grab or marketing tool. I think Mark will guard against that.

I tend to agree with everything you just said here. That being said, do you think Tom is ever capable of choosing blink over his other endeavors and it not being a cash grab?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I tend to agree with everything you just said here. That being said, do you think Tom is ever capable of choosing blink over his other endeavors and it not being a cash grab?

That's the big question. 

11 minutes ago, Speedo said:

I don't even care, as long as the music good then I'm a happy camper. 

I agree with this too lol. But I’d like to see Tom at least try and not sound like a dying horse while singing. I want him to sound better than he did during their last shows together. And I want him to bring back the Mesa Boogies. Lol now I’m just getting greedy. 

• Like 2

Just now, Diddy Faplord said:

I agree with this too lol. But I’d like to see Tom at least try and not sound like a dying horse while singing. I want him to sound better than he did during their last shows together. And I want him to bring back the Mesa Boogies. Lol now I’m just getting greedy. 

See, I don't have any real desire to see them live so, for me, I just need something good on Spotify that I can listen to solidly for a week and maybe revisit every so often. I stopped going to big shows years ago, theyre expensive and crowded. Tom can hoot and poot on stage like a rabid chimp for all I care, just need a good studio recording.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

As much as I love Tom's work since he left blink again, I wouldn't want it to be where there is hardly any blink news for about 3 years then they meet up like 2-3 times every 6 months to record. That's how it literally was. I'd be happy for blink to continue with Skiba if they continue and progress from where Nine left off. Great album. Just no more California!

• Like 2

More Cali, more Nine, it's all way better than years and years of stalled progress and fake hype. If Tom isn't willing to fully commit in a studio with the guys on a regular basis then I'd rather he not come back. No projects in the background, no movies, no art projects, no fuckery to promote. Just blink for a couple years. Album and tour

• Like 2

I'd rather have Neighborhoods every 5 years years than Cali and Nine in the same space. 

Like I want all the guys to be happy, that's what I want more than anything. if they all quit music tomorrow I'd be fine if it's what made them all happy. But if the option is a not entirely committed Tom but he can still pump out some decent songs verses hired songwriters attempting to shove blink into top 20 modern pop hole I'll take the Tom approach by a country mile. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Speedo said:

See, I don't have any real desire to see them live so, for me, I just need something good on Spotify that I can listen to solidly for a week and maybe revisit every so often. I stopped going to big shows years ago, theyre expensive and crowded. Tom can hoot and poot on stage like a rabid chimp for all I care, just need a good studio recording.

Yea, I would be happy with that too. But I’ll probably go to every show I can when they come thru 

I just can’t see Tom having  relationship with Mark and Travis in a work/band mate capacity again, in terms of actually producing  new music together. 

Mark see’s blink as current and relevant, Tom sees it as a legacy act, grateful for what it did but he can’t move it forward the way that he’d want to. That’s difficult to reconcile in a band. 

I think when blink call it quits they’ll reunite for a proper farewell with Tom back in the mix, but I don’t think we’ll get any Hoppus/Delonge together  bops again. I hope I’m wrong 

• Like 2

As bad as it sounds, the most realistic scenario I see Tom rejoining the band would be if he hits rock bottom and literally loses all his money. Sound Garden did a reunion tour because their bassist became homeless and they wanted to help him out. Given how Tom is blowing his money on dumbass shit like TTS, and he probably lost quite a bit from his divorce, this doesn't seem too far out of the realm of possibilities in the next 5-10 years or so. 

Tom is not coming back anytime soon, it's taken them 5 years to finally be halfway cool about it and everyone is in a great spot right now. Skiba will be on the remaining records and maybe in ~8-10 years Tom joins them for a short stretch as a 4-some, followed by a final "Greatest Hits Pt. 2" double album that he does a bonus track or two with them on.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Tom is not coming back anytime soon, it's taken them 5 years to finally be halfway cool about it and everyone is in a great spot right now. Skiba will be on the remaining records and maybe in ~8-10 years Tom joins them for a short stretch as a 4-some, followed by a final "Greatest Hits Pt. 2" double album that he does a bonus track or two with them on.

they’ve been pretty cool about it since before california even came out. mark was more “is what it is” and travis was liking his posts and stuff. what will happen is that blink makes another skiba record and are dropped from columbia. then they regain tom for a HOF performance, and then a huge greatest hits tour. 

The Trav/Tom relationship is irrelevant, it's all about Mark & Tom. Originally it was the same safe answers brushed off from Mark, same "I still own blink and text Travis" from Tom, and that was about it. It was just a year or so ago that Mark started following Tom on IG, and they've had their little interactions here and there. That along with Tom acknowledging "new blink/Skiba", and Mark even acknowledging new AVA. None of that was happening 3-5 years ago, it is super clear to me now in interviews that everyone is cool about it and comfortable openly discussing it. They've all moved on and are happy with where they are currently.

• Like 3

But why assume Hoppus or Barker would ever call it quits? When I hear them talk about blink they always mentions how it spans across agegroups and lifesituations.. from that I get that the longer they can go on, the better. Why not assume that when blink stops, its because they're not in a physical state to tour and write music anymore? maybe im just a hopeless romantic, but blink calling it a day is something I see a lot of people around here talking about, but I never understood why. 

• Like 1