The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

31 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

The Trav/Tom relationship is irrelevant, it's all about Mark & Tom. Originally it was the same safe answers brushed off from Mark, same "I still own blink and text Travis" from Tom, and that was about it. It was just a year or so ago that Mark started following Tom on IG, and they've had their little interactions here and there. That along with Tom acknowledging "new blink/Skiba", and Mark even acknowledging new AVA. None of that was happening 3-5 years ago, it is super clear to me now in interviews that everyone is cool about it and comfortable openly discussing it. They've all moved on and are happy with where they are currently.

I don't know how genuine it is tbh. Might just be for good PR for both parties, as they both stand to benefit from appearing friendly. Tom gets to talk about how he started Blink, still talks to Travis and Mark, etc. to remain relevant and promote his other ventures. Blink looks good that they are still on good terms with a founding member as it has been a point of contention amongst the fans. Just seems like they are putting on this show for ulterior motives and not because that's how they actually, genuinely feel. 

6 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

I meant putting on a front, like the niceties are just superficial and can't be viewed as meaningful or significant. 

That's not really surprising though, considering Tom is out of his mind. The fact that they interact with him at all is nice of them imo

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ghent said:

It's inevitable that Tom comes back. I just hope he does it in a way that is for blink and the fans and not a blatant cash grab or marketing tool. I think Mark will guard against that.

This is "cynical" of me to say but I think they both have been using Blink as a cash grab/marketing tool, it's just a matter of what angle they want to be coming from. Is it the shiny new toy that can use pop producers and songwriters to try to fit right in with modern radio pop music in 2020? Or is it taking a legacy act out on the road to play old songs for old fans to fund an invisibility cloak manufacturing plant?

Sadly I don't see either one of them as some sort of force for creativity and authenticity. BUT I've always felt that they absolutely bring out the best in each other. If they BOTH came in with the mindset that they want to do right by Blink's glory days and put their full minds and creativity into the music, regardless of how much radio play and relevance they want or how much money they want to make to use for other projects, I think they could make something great again.

• Like 1

I could understand the "it's all for show" stance if it was just in magazine/tv interviews, but it's crossed that threshold to pretty personal interactions. Mark went out of his way to wish Tom good luck on that AVA tour, Tom went out of his way to say he hoped Mark's mom was OK, Tom just the other day said he loves Alkaline Trio and is totally cool with Skiba and that blink is doing great (where before the answer was "they have a guy filling in for me, I still own that band", Mark putting up random Tom jokes/memes,etc. They are all past the point of anger/grudge, and into acceptance. It's great honestly, I like where both sides are and it's cool that they're cool with it.

I don't think either side has too much to "gain" for it to be planned or anything like that, it's not like Mark putting up a Tom meme makes the Tombots all go download NINE, and Tom tagging Mark as Joe Exotic doesn't make all the Skiba fans go invest in TTSA and blare Rebel Girl on repeat. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

I could understand the "it's all for show" stance if it was just in magazine/tv interviews, but it's crossed that threshold to pretty personal interactions. Mark went out of his way to wish Tom good luck on that AVA tour, Tom went out of his way to say he hoped Mark's mom was OK, Tom just the other day said he loves Alkaline Trio and is totally cool with Skiba and that blink is doing great (where before the answer was "they have a guy filling in for me, I still own that band", Mark putting up random Tom jokes/memes,etc. They are all past the point of anger/grudge, and into acceptance. It's great honestly, I like where both sides are and it's cool that they're cool with it.

I don't think either side has too much to "gain" for it to be planned or anything like that, it's not like Mark putting up a Tom meme makes the Tombots all go download NINE, and Tom tagging Mark as Joe Exotic doesn't make all the Skiba fans go invest in TTSA and blare Rebel Girl on repeat. 

Yeah, I mean I'm sure they have figured things out after going through two messy breakups. I think they're all grateful for each other, because if you remove Tom or Mark, it's unlikely that any of them have a successful career in music. After having gone through so much together, I can understand why they still care about each other, but they now know that they cannot work together based on huge differences in their approaches to recording, song writing, and how they want the music to sound. 

As for the gain part, it's not as simple as you're making it out to be. It's based on their reputations and how their fans view them. Not strictly about monetary gains. Reputation is huge for building a fanbase in the music industry. 

Things are good atm I don’t want them messing it up. Give us a couple more Nine quality albums with Skiba, let Tom get his TTS stuff either done or to a point where it doesn’t require his full focus and then make another album/final tour or whatever.

• Like 1

Down to blow it all up.

At the end of the day, we all want to see them together, even if it's still rocky and they're pretty washed now, it's Tom and Mark's friendship we're drawn to as much as the music.  Tom and Mark may not be capable of magic anymore, but they're both capable of something good every 12 songs or so.  All the crap is worth it for those few good ones.  Everything they do now just feels like half assed, filler. K&T and Rebel Girl were just anomalies.

My thing is, with how patient some of you are for Tom to return (few more albums with Skiba)...by the time that happens they’ll be in their damn 60s, completely bald and grey. Tom will barely be able to muster a word into the microphone much less remember how to play the proper 3 chords for each song. I think we all just have to accept that the glory days are long gone and we’ll never get anything even close to it again. I’ll be watching YouTube videos from 97-2001 until I die!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

You know what would be fucking cool. If Tom could like rejoin blink as a part time member or however you want to phrase it. Keep Skiba. When Tom wants to work on blink they all can together, when Tom wants to fuck off with aliens and do Ava he can and blink-182 as a band can keep rolling and make albums without him until he’s got the time and that’s when they all team up again. This only works if Skiba stays in the bad full time then they don’t have to “replace” Tom whenever he’s got other stuff on. Mark never has to stop doing blink stuff.

It would probably never happen like that. I can’t even imagine the difficulties with the legality(royalties, credits etc) with doing it that way but it would just suit everyone so well. People who want blink-182 albums regularly don’t have to be fucked over waiting 5+ years for Tom to get his shit together to record with the band and the people who would rather wait that time for another Tom-blink album will get it and can just ignore the others if they choose. 

I rather have angels & airwaves and feldy/nine-blink. At the end of the day it’s the music I care about. I mean look at all the music we got since the reunion; Love pt 1&2, neighborhoods, ded, dreamwalker. odds & ends, Cali, of nightmares, chasing shadows, simple creatures, nine, and a new Ava album on the way. 

If the hall of fame thing would happen, Tom would join them on stage, and following that I actually could see them all get together and just hang out over a weekend somewhere and record an ep together, but I really don’t think it would be more than that. 

And I also hope that they all do music until they can’t. I don’t either get the whole wanting a band that you enjoy to quit because they’re getting old thing that’s been going around here lately. But that could be that I never seen any of the constellations live and would want that opportunity 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

My thing is, with how patient some of you are for Tom to return (few more albums with Skiba)...by the time that happens they’ll be in their damn 60s, completely bald and grey.

Haha seriously, even if they only do ONE more album with Skiba, it would most likely come out around 2022, especially with the world on pause right now. Add in a tour, some probable down time afterwards, then whatever reconciliation friendship repair time with Tom, then "finding their groove again" and spending lots of time writing new music, then recording/marketing the album, the earliest I could imagine an album with Tom would be 2025. By that time Mark will be 53, Tom and Travis will be 50 (holy shit hahaha).

And that's if they only do ONE more album with Skiba. Add in more album cycles and you're lookin at the late 2020s for Tom to come back when they're all well into their 50s, I just can't envision that at all.

I'm sticking with my prediction of one more album with Skiba, then one final album with Tom before gracefully shutting things down.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

Haha seriously, even if they only do ONE more album with Skiba, it would most likely come out around 2022, especially with the world on pause right now. Add in a tour, some probable down time afterwards, then whatever reconciliation friendship repair time with Tom, then "finding their groove again" and spending lots of time writing new music, then recording/marketing the album, the earliest I could imagine an album with Tom would be 2025. By that time Mark will be 53, Tom and Travis will be 50 (holy shit hahaha).

And that's if they only do ONE more album with Skiba. Add in more album cycles and you're lookin at the late 2020s for Tom to come back when they're all well into their 50s, I just can't envision that at all.

I'm sticking with my prediction of one more album with Skiba, then one final album with Tom before gracefully shutting things down.

This is why I don't think that Tom ever comes back unless it's for the next album.  If you're Mark, do you REALLY want to be fucking with Tom's stupid ass projects, lack of commitment,  and whatever other strange baggage he's bringing along when you're FIFTY?!

I honestly think he's way too off the deep end and the timeline doesn't add up. 

• Like 1

Covid’s completely changed Mark’s opinion on blink-182’s work from home policy. The main cause of the two break ups. Tom, as always like he says with AVA, is ahead of his time. Tom will be back in blink in no time now. So long as Mark apologies of course.

• Haha 1
  • Crab 3

I don't think it's the "work from home" policy so much, it's the "work" policy lol.

I'm totally down with Tom beating to his own drum in TTS/AVA land, it serves him best and how he likes to operate...but Rebel Girl dropped over a year ago and the album still isn't out. That would literally be like BIOMY being out over a year now (which it has been, as of last week) and us still waiting on the next blink album. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

Based on all these predictions, Alkaline Trio is dead. Matt will never be able to work with them constantly or tour :(

That's almost the case though, blink is too big of a machine to be juggling more healthy bands at the same time. We saw it with Angels & Airwaves and we've been seeing it the last few years with the trio

• Sad 1