The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

Top 20 isn’t exactly high in mainstream music. There’s tons of bands that hit top 20 the first week of their release and are obscure bands. How many albums on labels actually get releases every week? It’s not that many.

16 minutes ago, thongrider said:

They have had at least four albums on the top twenty on billboard top 200. 

first week sales + bundles goose these numbers considerably. for blink heavily — i think both recent efforts debuted high and then dropped to a ridiculous low, then fell off entirely 

34 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Top 20 isn’t exactly high in mainstream music. There’s tons of bands that hit top 20 the first week of their release and are obscure bands. How many albums on labels actually get releases every week? It’s not that many.

Top 20 is pretty high. And doing it 4 TIMES is certainly applaudable. Sorry you’re using NSYNC standards or something. And on the flip, just because a record hits number 1 doesn’t make it great or the band great. Most number 1 records are trash these Days. So yea Man, when a band like ak3 hits top 20 4 times with basically no radio or tv play, that’s damn impressive.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Top 20 is pretty high. And doing it 4 TIMES is certainly applaudable. Sorry you’re using NSYNC standards or something. And on the flip, just because a record hits number 1 doesn’t make it great or the band great. Most number 1 records are trash these Days. So yea Man, when a band like ak3 hits top 20 4 times with basically no radio or tv play, that’s damn impressive.

I’m not really saying they are or aren’t obscure. Just that plenty of obscure bands hit the top 20 billboard album chart. I wouldn’t really use that to gage it. Top ten albums or hit singles are probably a better metric. 

you also basically just proved the point in your comment, I would consider a band with no radio or tv play as an obscure band.

20 hours ago, NotNow said:

I’m not really saying they are or aren’t obscure. Just that plenty of obscure bands hit the top 20 billboard album chart. I wouldn’t really use that to gage it. Top ten albums or hit singles are probably a better metric. 

you also basically just proved the point in your comment, I would consider a band with no radio or tv play as an obscure band.

You are wrong, very wrong. Plenty of bands out there have sold more records or had longer careers without radio or tv play than wack ass bands that had a major hit then faded out. Keep listening to your Backstreet Boy albums dude. Jesus Christ 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

They get plenty of play on alternative channels though. Just not pop ones.

This is like a Foo fighters or U2 fan saying blink is obscure and irrelevant because they can’t sell out stadiums every tour.

I’ve never ever heard an AK3 song on the radio 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diddy Faplord said:

You are wrong, very wrong. Plenty of bands out there have sold more records or had longer careers without radio or tv okay than wack ass bands that had a major hit then faded out. Keep listening to your Backstreet Boy albums dude. Jesus Christ 

I just think we have different definitions of what obscure means. I’m not saying alkaline trio doesn’t have a decent following and can’t sell out clubs.

If it wasn’t for Tom Delonge being a member of Ava, they would definitely be an obscure band.

39 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

I have. Plenty.

Are you talking normal radio or serius sm radio or whatever it’s called. Even so, go look up their highest charting radio singles and I’m guessing it’s minuscule. Which isn’t a knock to them. Radio plays all the wack shit while real artists get shelved. Fuck the radio and any idiot who uses that as a measure stick to say whether a band is relevant or not   

13 minutes ago, NotNow said:

I just think we have different definitions of what obscure means. I’m not saying alkaline trio doesn’t have a decent following and can’t sell out clubs.

If it wasn’t for Tom Delonge being a member of Ava, they would definitely be an obscure band.

Fair enough 

2 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Are you talking normal radio or serius sm radio or whatever it’s called. Even so, go look up their highest charting radio singles and I’m guessing it’s minuscule. Which isn’t a knock to them. Radio plays all the wack shit while real artists get shelved. Fuck the radio and any idiot who uses that as a measure stick to say whether a band is relevant or not   

Our rock station and our non-commercial station has played alkaline trio before plenty. I’m Australian so we prob have less stations then you or whatever but I’ve heard it plenty. Mercy me less than a week ago tbh.

1 hour ago, Diddy Faplord said:

You are wrong, very wrong. Plenty of bands out there have sold more records or had longer careers without radio or tv okay than wack ass bands that had a major hit then faded out. Keep listening to your Backstreet Boy albums dude. Jesus Christ 

Why did you do that? Implying that listening to Backstreet Boys albums would be a lesser thing? 

18 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Our rock station and our non-commercial station has played alkaline trio before plenty. I’m Australian so we prob have less stations then you or whatever but I’ve heard it plenty. Mercy me less than a week ago tbh.

I think Australians have better taste than America does lol. You guys were huge into blink and other cool punk rock bands before it ever caught here. So it doesn’t surprise me to hear that. I don’t ever listen to the radio because they play a lot of Nickelback and lame stuff like that on our rock stations 

19 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Why did you do that? Implying that listening to Backstreet Boys albums would be a lesser thing? 

I’m just saying that they sold a massive amount of records, had a ton of radio and tv play...and that doesn’t mean they’re good. So I’m saying using record sales or radio play to judge a band is dumb

I’m just saying that they sold a massive amount of records, had a ton of radio and tv play...and that doesn’t mean they’re good. So I’m saying using record sales or radio play to judge a band is dumb

No, you implied that it’s not “cool” enough for you that someone listens to Backstreet Boys. 

I never understood the thing some people do judging others based on what they’re listening to

10 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

No, you implied that it’s not “cool” enough for you that someone listens to Backstreet Boys. 

I never understood the thing some people do judging others based on what they’re listening to

No. That’s not at all what I implied. I don’t care if someone likes them, but to act like they’re some great band would be absurd, if you’re a rock n roll fan. I forever will love “I want it that way” and I have no shame in that. But they aren’t a great band and never were. Look at you trying to tell me what I said now. 

54 minutes ago, NotNow said:

I get that they’re obscure if you’re talking all music as a whole sure, but when you’re talking about the punk/alternative scene which is the style of music they write then they are definitely not obscure. Probably even one of the bigger bands still getting around in that scene.

• Like 4

No. That’s not at all what I implied. I don’t care if someone likes them, but to act like they’re some great band would be absurd, if you’re a rock n roll fan. I forever will love “I want it that way” and I have no shame in that. But they aren’t a great band and never were. Look at you trying to tell me what I said now. 

I agree with you that they’re not a band, they’re simply a vocal group.