The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

11 hours ago, NotNow said:

Top 20 isn’t exactly high in mainstream music. There’s tons of bands that hit top 20 the first week of their release and are obscure bands. How many albums on labels actually get releases every week? It’s not that many.

I guess that depends on how one defines "obscure". There are lots of huge bands that hardly made the top 50.

11 hours ago, boxelder said:

first week sales + bundles goose these numbers considerably. for blink heavily — i think both recent efforts debuted high and then dropped to a ridiculous low, then fell off entirely 

They started debuting high in the early 2000s.

AK3 has alway had a huge integrity. Figured out how to make a proper punkrock song early on and then developed on that for 20 years. They were never distined to break through into the mainstream and I dont see them doing it at this point.  I enjoy it equally as much as blink, but AK3 has a much more defined fanbase where blink is pretty much for everyone. Its not everyone who seeks out the fame, for some people its just about playing music that you like and then maybe live off of it if you're fortunate enough. What Im saying is fuck AK3 is a great band. Skiba must be in a tough situation to decide where he wants to put his energy

• Like 2

Alkaline Trio are more of a cult band IMO. Probably irrelevant to mainstream music but that's not a bad thing, seeing as most mainstream music these days is trash. They're definitely an important band in the pop punk/punk rock genre and I'd argue that they're influential as well. Most fans of pop punk and punk rock like them.

And reaching the top 20 is very impressive. Maybe not if you're looking at it from a mainstream point of view but there's so many unsigned bands or local bands that'd kill to reach the scale, size and following of Alkaline Trio. They've worked pretty fucking hard to get where they are. Let's not act like members of that band are playing in a club for 150 people is a bad thing either. That's pretty fucking cool IMO. We'd all love to be doing that.

But they've definitely got a decent following. Where I live is a completely dead end town in UK and is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Not many people have even heard of my town. Yet i've heard Alkaline Trio have songs like Mercy Me and This Addiction get played in rock bars and I've seen people wear jackets with their logo on it. i'd love to have a following like that.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Lindemulder said:

AK3 has alway had a huge integrity. Figured out how to make a proper punkrock song early on and then developed on that for 20 years. They were never distined to break through into the mainstream and I dont see them doing it at this point.  I enjoy it equally as much as blink, but AK3 has a much more defined fanbase where blink is pretty much for everyone. Its not everyone who seeks out the fame, for some people its just about playing music that you like and then maybe live off of it if you're fortunate enough. What Im saying is fuck AK3 is a great band. Skiba must be in a tough situation to decide where he wants to put his energy

Agree with what you said but it’s pretty easy for him what to choose. Blink because of the money. I can’t believe that he is having more fun doing blink compared to Trio. But the paychecks are a different thing. Can’t blame him for that. It’s understandable. 

I wondered if I should have made it clear that I meant it excluding the money. Thats important. But lets not forget that Skiba has been doing all kinds of different stuff. Heavens, theHELL and also AK3 has a pretty diversive catalog aswell. On top of that he and Hoppus always wanted to work together, and even though Grant in AK3 is killer, Barker is just on another level. From Skibas perspective they're interesting people to work with. I'd still say it must be a tough choice for him, even when not considering the tons of cash he gets.

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

Anyone ready to declare NINE a great blink album? It’s time to ball up and say it.

Better than Neighborhoods, California, TOYPAJ and Cheshire I think! Better than any AVA album. I don't rate it as much as the smiley face album, Enema, Dude Ranch, +44 or BCR though. There's still a couple of iffy songs whereas I feel like those albums are perfect from start to finish. It's definitely not far from them though! Way more consistent than the other blink work IMO. Awesome album.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Better than Neighborhoods, California, TOYPAJ and Cheshire I think! Better than any AVA album. I don't rate it as much as the smiley face album, Enema, Dude Ranch, +44 or BCR though. There's still a couple of iffy songs whereas I feel like those albums are perfect from start to finish. It's definitely not far from them though! Way more consistent than the other blink work IMO. Awesome album.

I agree with the majority of this. Sometimes neighbourhoods hits me in a way that makes me like it more but Nine as an album is definitely put together superior to neighbourhoods. I’d say my favourite couple of songs are better than my favs off nine but only just but as albums nine is the clear winner.

• Like 1

I wish I could get into Nine.

IDK if I'm being lazy but I just find it hard to distinguish between which song is which. I remember Heaven's massive chorus, The First Time being a lot of fun,  BIOMY really grew on me. Happy Days is okay, I like it when Mark explores Mental Health.  

However,  Hungover You, I Really Wish I Hated You, Remember To Forget Me and On Some Emo Shit . I genuinely can't remember which is which. They just don't seem distinct to me, musically or lyrically

• Like 2

It's better than California and California Deluxe! I think there are several songs on Nine that live up to the Blink name in my opinion (First Time, Heaven, Pin The Grenade), whereas between Cali and Deluxe the only song I ever really think about is Bored To Death.

• Like 1

@Champ182 shit I forgot about Pin The Grenade, that chorus is catchy as fuck.

@Russel Coight Yeah it's kind of lazy in terms of songwriting, plus he already wrote one of the best songs concerning mental health that's out there. I think I've just got a soft spot for it because of the sentiment and the little video they put together.

It's weird, I could really differentiate the Cali Deluxe songs, which I thought were fucking great. My brain just isn't computing Nine. What's the 3 strongest songs on there for you Russ? I'll try and digest em