The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

1 minute ago, Jan's Plan said:

Please Take Me Home freaking flows. Verses jam.

yea the hook for me is the octave riff reminiscent of the same reach in "linoleum." and the walk-down chorus is far more effective than "first date" imo, being double-time fast.

31 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Wow! I did not know that it was a pre-enema song. That’s crazy.

i actually like the drums better on TOYPAJ, as well as the guitar and bass tones. I guess it’s just the songs themselves that don’t hold up as well for me. 

One thing that sets toypaj apart from Enema and most of the other copycat bands is the guitar tone, Tom didn’t use as much distortion on that album which helps the overall mix to get that crisp, open sound, in my opinion at least. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

let's not forget the bonus tracks. both "time to break up" and "don't tell me it's over" are great. and "what went wrong" still holds up. it's sort of like blink's "good riddance (time of your life)."

Time to break up is one of my absolute favorite blink songs. It’s almost a crime they didn’t put it on the regular album. Would’ve been a classic

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

One thing that sets toypaj apart from Enema and most of the other copycat bands is the guitar tone, Tom didn’t use as much distortion on that album which helps the overall mix to get that crisp, open sound, in my opinion at least. 

Yeah Jerry Finn and Tom perfected that sound. Jerry was a fucking mastermind.  I remember getting so frustrated at my little amp why it couldn't sound like that, clean yet crunchy and heavy

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jan's Plan said:

Yeah Jerry Finn and Tom perfected that sound. Jerry was a fucking mastermind.  I remember getting so frustrated at my little amp why it couldn't sound like that, clean yet crunchy and heavy

Yeah it’s a great tone, a very orange-y type of sound to my ears. I know he used Mesa live at that point but I wonder what they used in the studio to achieve that tone

TOYPAJ is the goat for me. They had perfected pop-punk, and that BCR angst (we now know) was creeping in. The back half of the album is just phenomenal, Shut Up, ETILFY, GMOGR, PTMH, etc. I’ll put those up against any “b-sides” of other albums all day, and that doesn’t even count the rad bonus songs. (Also so dope to have the different colored versions with special bonus tracks for each.) 

7 minutes ago, twentytwenty said:

Yeah it’s a great tone, a very orange-y type of sound to my ears. I know he used Mesa live at that point but I wonder what they used in the studio to achieve that tone

He upped the treble and bass and lowered the mids, half cranked the drive. I remember reading somewhere when I was in my teens treble was on 8, bass on 6 and mids on 4. I may have bass and treble flipped though... its been almost 20 years.

Of course it would depend on the amp he used and I dont recall what gear he used for recording.

8 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

TOYPAJ is the goat for me. They had perfected pop-punk, and that BCR angst (we now know) was creeping in. The back half of the album is just phenomenal, Shut Up, ETILFY, GMOGR, PTMH, etc. I’ll put those up against any “b-sides” of other albums all day, and that doesn’t even count the rad bonus songs. (Also so dope to have the different colored versions with special bonus tracks for each.) 

I mean it’s cool but it’s messed up they’re all not on Spotify 

8 minutes ago, Speedo said:

He upped the treble and bass and lowered the mids, half cranked the drive. I remember reading somewhere when I was in my teens treble was on 8, bass on 6 and mids on 4. I may have bass and treble flipped though... its been almost 20 years.

Of course it would depend on the amp he used and I dont recall what gear he used for recording.

Yeah, I wonder which amps they used for that album. Some songs and riffs sounds very orange-y to me.

1 minute ago, twentytwenty said:

Yeah, I wonder which amps they used for that album. Some songs and riffs sounds very orange-y to me.

Probably Marshall and Fender, it doesn't sound like an Orange to me but what the hell do I know?!

1 minute ago, Russel Coight said:

Fuck oath! I barely listen to them anymore since I only really use Spotify for music.

Yeah same here, I don’t have any cds left anymore so whenever I want to listen to like time to break up I have to listen to some baaad quality ones on YouTube

• Like 1

Just now, Speedo said:

Probably Marshall and Fender, it doesn't sound like an Orange to me but what the hell do I know?!

Haha yeah, and what the hell does it matter anyways, it sounds great nevertheless. One thing that is for sure is they didn’t use Oliver’s potato

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, daveyjones said:

let's not forget the bonus tracks. both "time to break up" and "don't tell me it's over" are great. and "what went wrong" still holds up. it's sort of like blink's "good riddance (time of your life)."

Don’t tell me it’s over and time to break up are also two of my favorites all time blink tracks. A shame so many here don’t appreciate them as was apparent in the TOYPAJ poll. To me what went wrong is cheesy 

30 minutes ago, Speedo said:

We could ask little red guitars if he cracked the code from his mom's basement yet

Just now, Diddy Faplord said:

You don’t think he used any Mesa Boogies to record?

I don't remember reading that he did, I'm no expert though so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm no gear head. It entirely possible he did, I just recall reading differently. 

• Like 1