The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

19 hours ago, daveyjones said:

it's quite an accomplishment to take a shitty song and make it even shittier.

Yeah, I've always felt that guy doesn't have a good idea of how a BCR song should sound. For starters, they never sound like BCR. And his verses all of a sudden go so quiet and just don't fit in well with the heavier intros. I know BCR often had quiet verses and heavy choruses/intros but the quieter verses always worked and fit in well with the rest of the song.

His covers always sound like completely different songs too. I get people should have their own spin when it comes to covers, but you should still be able to tell what the song is IMO. If the guy never had the Tom vocals and the description in his titles, then I'd just guess it's one of his own songs.

At least with blink covers like A Letter to Elise & Another Girl Another Planet, they sounded like blink-182 songs but you could also tell they were covering those songs. The riffs, melodies and everything were still the same.

I do think that guy did a decent AVA styled Up All Night Cover though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Wow, I swear Puddle of Mudd used to be a decent live band. Only ever liked 3 songs by that band and that was just the 3 singles from their most famous album.

They used to be actually one of the better, he was a good vocalist that's what's so unfortunate this went viral

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

his approach reminds me of those clips that take a major key song and make it minor, or vice versa.

Yeah, definitely. I feel like it works for them songs as well as BCR and +44 but I can't help but feel that the BCR styled covers he's trying just sound weird after the riffs.

2 hours ago, thongrider said:

I used to love "Blurry". Still think it's in the "decent song by shitty band" category. 

Yeah, I legit like some nickelback songs but it doesn't make me think nickelback are actually any good. 

Since we've been in lockdown and I've been working from home, I've been blazing the untitled album. It's absolutely glorious, I always thought Dude Ranch was my favourite album, but honestly, Untitled is god tier. 

What I wouldn't give for the true follow up album to Untitled.

Maybe its the quarantine talking, butI actually think they still have it in their locker (Mark, Tom and Travis) if they actually focused solely on making music and hired an old house again.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Bucko said:

Since we've been in lockdown and I've been working from home, I've been blazing the untitled album. It's absolutely glorious, I always thought Dude Ranch was my favourite album, but honestly, Untitled is god tier. 

What I wouldn't give for the true follow up album to Untitled.

Maybe its the quarantine talking, butI actually think they still have it in their locker (Mark, Tom and Travis) if they actually focused solely on making music and hired an old house again.  

The fact that they wrote some of the best songs on Neighbourhoods in one of the few 3-day in-the-same-room stints proves they deffo still have that ability, that musical chemistry hasn't waned I don't think, just their objectives and what they see the band as. Making of Untitled is the GOAT lockdown watch

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

The fact that they wrote some of the best songs on Neighbourhoods in one of the few 3-day in-the-same-room stints proves they deffo still have that ability, that musical chemistry hasn't waned I don't think, just their objectives and what they see the band as. Making of Untitled is the GOAT lockdown watch

Absolutely, I would just love for the 3 of them to do it again, even if it was one last album and one last tour and it meant that was the end of Blink, I'd die happy. Neighborhoods was ok but it just feels so disconnected. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

So, @daveyjones and I spoke for 4 hours last night and haven't even gotten into the Josie video and Scott's departure... (Lasagna was covered.) This may become a #saga.

@daveyjones and I met up once before he moved out of Cali, and god damn, it was like meeting up with a blink museum curator. Super nice guy too. Seriously is the real deal and probably the best source of old info of blink on these boards.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

So, @daveyjones and I spoke for 4 hours last night and haven't even gotten into the Josie video and Scott's departure... (Lasagna was covered.) This may become a #saga.

He's a legend for sure and I'm glad that he's part of our blink community, really glad to have his insight and point of view here, much appreciated!

Can't wait to hear his episode!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

looking forward to our remaining session(s)!

also if anyone has specific questions for me, please post them here. maybe this will help me answer @Ry-Bread directly and not ramble on and on like i did last night...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bucko said:

I had the same thoughts after DED, I still feel that an album full of songs written and recorded by the three of them in the same room would be an amazing thing, even by the today’s version of them. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, twentytwenty said:

I had the same thoughts after DED, I still feel that an album full of songs written and recorded by the three of them in the same room would be an amazing thing, even by the today’s version of them. 

It genuinely makes me so sad. That it all ended while they were in their peak. The fact is they only have a limited number of years left to do it and Tom's so focused on his alien shit I just don't see it happening 😔

• Sad 1