The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

2 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

The first part of that is personal opinion, I’ll take most Cali/DLX/Nine songs over most NH/DED songs all day. 

Second part, Matt’s influence is in tons of songs - it’s just not what people seem to expect. There are countless personal lyrics in there that people just ignore because they don’t like the song or think Feldy made it. Also Left Alone, Last Train Home, NHTSO are clear “Matt” songs.

Being able to list a handful of Matt songs when the band has recorded almost 50 songs together isn't a reigning endorsement of Matt's autonomy or influence on the band.

It's also the execution and style of the songs that seems a bit problematic. Find me an Alkaline Trio song where Matt's vocals sound like something like No Future, the auto-tune is fucking brutal in that song and takes away from Matt's qualities as a vocalist. He's at his best when his vocals are more raw and genuine. He also hasn't been writing that many guitar riffs, which might be a creative issue, but his guitar work in Blink doesn't match Alk3, IMO.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

Idk the guy could get an Uber or something.  Fairplay if he doesn’t have a studio. However, to complete a whole song and get ready to release without ANY input from Matt at all, and for him not to have even heard  it is still ...odd. Same as when Tom wouldn’t listen to masters or record in the same room. It’s not the sign of a healthy band - or at least one where all the members have an equal stake 

Lack of Matt’s involvement/influence in their two bodies of work so far,  is a fair criticism of this version of blink . It’s not a criticism of Matt, the more involved he is, the better the band would be. No ones SpEAkInG in CaPS and wondering why he isn’t the ‘leader’. If you write off genuine, reasonable and evidence based  criticism as being dumb then you’re just adopting  suPeR bLinK rose tinted lenses.  It’s literally come from Mark’s mouth. I don’t really know how it could be made more clear 

Yeah there's really no excuse for Matt not being able to record or be a part of the process.  It's 2020, and he's a professional musician.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, _Bagel said:

Idk the guy could get an Uber or something.  Fairplay if he doesn’t have a studio. However, to complete a whole song and get ready to release without ANY input from Matt at all, and for him not to have even heard  it is still ...odd. Same as when Tom wouldn’t listen to masters or record in the same room. It’s not the sign of a healthy band - or at least one where all the members have an equal stake 

Lack of Matt’s involvement/influence in their two bodies of work so far,  is a fair criticism of this version of blink . It’s not a criticism of Matt, the more involved he is, the better the band would be. No ones SpEAkInG in CaPS and wondering why he isn’t the ‘leader’. If you write off genuine, reasonable and evidence based  criticism as being dumb then you’re just adopting  suPeR bLinK rose tinted lenses.  It’s literally come from Mark’s mouth. I don’t really know how it could be made more clear 

Since you haven't been here that long, you'll start to notice that this is somewhat common from certain posters (Ghent, JarJar, and now Ry-Bread). It's ok to be a huge fan of the band, but don't be a douche bag and mischaracterize and belittle opposing views because you can't reconcile them with your own biases. I get that music comes with emotional investment, especially when you have been a fan of the band for decades. But it honestly just reminds me of those kids that buy an Xbox and then feel the need to praise the shit out of it, while trashing Playstation, to justify their purchase/opinion. Comes off as really insecure and disingenuous. 

• Like 1

Again, if you are going to take part of Mark’s quote super serious, please take the whole quote as serious. Has Matt been involved?

”No. NOT YET.” 

And yeah @_Bagel my mockery of those whining is not directed at you in particular, just poking fun at those crying on Reddit/Instagram all day. We all have fun with these debates from time to time, def don’t take it seriously lol.

28 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

Being able to list a handful of Matt songs when the band has recorded almost 50 songs together isn't a reigning endorsement of Matt's autonomy or influence on the band.

It's also the execution and style of the songs that seems a bit problematic. Find me an Alkaline Trio song where Matt's vocals sound like something like No Future, the auto-tune is fucking brutal in that song and takes away from Matt's qualities as a vocalist. He's at his best when his vocals are more raw and genuine. He also hasn't been writing that many guitar riffs, which might be a creative issue, but his guitar work in Blink doesn't match Alk3, IMO.

Theres definetely something special about his vocals in blink, but that is to hit that signature Hoppus/Delonge-dynamic between the lower and higher register. I actually believe I like his vocals in blink better because its more aggressive.

I dont think AK3 has ever been about about having amazing guitarriffs, so I think Skibas contibution is pretty even counting both blink and AK3

29 minutes ago, Tom Bot said:

Since you haven't been here that long, you'll start to notice that this is somewhat common from certain posters (Ghent, JarJar, and now Ry-Bread). It's ok to be a huge fan of the band, but don't be a douche bag and mischaracterize and belittle opposing views because you can't reconcile them with your own biases. I get that music comes with emotional investment, especially when you have been a fan of the band for decades. But it honestly just reminds me of those kids that buy an Xbox and then feel the need to praise the shit out of it, while trashing Playstation, to justify their purchase/opinion. Comes off as really insecure and disingenuous. 

I mean..I think it's a little weird tbh.  Also I think the collabs with Goody Grace or whoever without Matt was weird too.  But I also hear Skiba's influence all over Cali/DLX and Nine when everyone just acts like it doesn't exist.  There are certain parts where he almost apes himself Tom-style and it could be on an ALK3 album "drunken bike messenger on Tuesday night", "Black Rain" sounds like it could be pulled straight off of Crimson,  "She's Out of Her Mind" is a poppier, blink-type version of something off of My Shame is True.

I also think BIOMY is one of the most "blink" sounding songs this new iteration of the band has ever released, and I think the haters are way too obsessed with whatever modern styling it has to see that.  The verses are 110% blink sounding yet it gets shit on because it has a modern-pop chorus.   Anytime I get blamed for being a biased fan boy I can always come up with criticisms and things I'd change, but tbh I'm happy they are an active band and I'll choose Feldy bubblegum shine over Tom's bullshit AVA knock offs any day.

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

@Ry-Bread yeah I guess we can argue until the cows come home about what output we prefer. That’s fair, I remember reading that No Heart To Speak Of was very personal to Matt, and that’s a great song. 

Looks like I did cherry pick Mark’s quote too, so I’ll hold my hands up to that. What input Matt can have on a song that’s already recorded, some backing vocals? I just wonder what capacity his involvement in the songwriting would be, and a fair guess would be not much bearing in mind what we currently know.

Ahhh fair, if the blink italia lot are crying then I get you. People are always going to have it in for blink without Tom. All I’m saying is, I think it comes from a genuine point of contention and is a reasonable criticism ( about Matt’s involvement)  if it’s obviously said in a coherent way. So I feel like it would be naive to disregard it completely 

@Tom Bot exactly, we all have an emotional investment in this - so buttons are gonna be pressed, we’re not always gonna agree. That’s what I mean- I do feel like this Matt involvement thing was touching a nerve. Like maybe we’re all consciously/sub-consciously aware that the band isn’t quite functioning in an ideal way - that Matt is restricted. I think it was like when we knew Tom was half invested. Events leading up to his departure clearly reflected that, but it’s a hard thing to accept.

Im not saying things are that level by any means, but you just have take a step back and try and  at shit as objectively as possible. Saying  that, I come and chime in with my own biases, some conscious -others, not so much.  So wtf do I know 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I mean..I think it's a little weird tbh.  Also I think the collabs with Goody Grace or whoever without Matt was weird too.  But I also hear Skiba's influence all over Cali/DLX and Nine when everyone just acts like it doesn't exist.  There are certain parts where he almost apes himself Tom-style and it could be on an ALK3 album "drunken bike messenger on Tuesday night", "Black Rain" sounds like it could be pulled straight off of Crimson,  "She's Out of Her Mind" is a poppier, blink-type version of something off of My Shame is True.

I also think BIOMY is one of the most "blink" sounding songs this new iteration of the band has ever released, and I think the haters are way too obsessed with whatever modern styling it has to see that.  The verses are 110% blink sounding yet it gets shit on because it has a modern-pop chorus.   Anytime I get blamed for being a biased fan boy I can always come up with criticisms and things I'd change, but tbh I'm happy they are an active band and I'll choose Feldy bubblegum shine over Tom's bullshit AVA knock offs any day.

That's fair! The fact that the verses are good just makes the god awful choruses even worse. 

15 minutes ago, Depf said:

The one thing i admire and lament at the same time is that most of his blink riffs are too delongy .

3 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i don't think that's skibba's fault. i think that is what mark is asking of him.

To be honest I don't even think any of those riffs have anything to DO with Skiba, except for when he's attempting to play them live.

• Like 5

I think it’s definitely pretty lame Matt hasn’t been involved in any of these ‘lockdown songs’. I was defensive before when it was all just speculation but with it coming from mark there’s no denying it and it’s definitely a bit shit and disappointing.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, Depf said:

a "let's be gentle with the fans for their first time"

that's totally what i think it is. i'm just saying, it was probably mark's idea. actually, i would not be surprised if it is feldy suggesting tommy riffs in the studio.

5 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i would not be surprised if it is feldy suggesting tommy riffs in the studio.

Exactly. Goldfinger was a WAY "riffier" band than Alkaline Trio. Feldy has that in his songwriting skillset, and he was (possibly) intentionally writing riffs on the Cali albums that sound Blink-ish to make the transition from Tom to Matt go more smoothly.

9 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

he was (possibly) intentionally writing riffs on the Cali albums that sound Blink-ish to make the transition from Tom to Matt go more smoothly.

from the accounts i heard from the enema anniversary shows, the casual concert goers weren't even aware that they had a new guitar player. because they only knew "all the small things" from the radio. tom who?

I still don’t think any of this means Matt wasn’t involved with the other albums. Mark saying the song Matt took charge of the most being black rain is t a signal that that was the only song he did. It’s just the answer to the question.

Its very different scenario being able to write together in a studio and having to write via zoom calls online and just because he hasn’t been involved in one doesn’t mean he wasn’t in the other.

For all we know Matt asked for a little time off. He’s been apart of 4 albums and an ep in the last 5 years. Maybe he just wanted this little downtime to himself and his family which Mark did mention him being with his family during this.