The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

46 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Never heard of him, but yeah that song has left me somewhere between "Weird, catchy, I like it." and "How in the hell do people get famous off these songs, much less get Trav/Mark to hop on them?"

I think it's just as catchy as the goody grace song or bloody valentine 

31 minutes ago, Diddy Faplord said:

I never thought that goody grace song was catchy. Thought it was really bland 

I don't like them either, but I listened to all those 3 songs today (goody grace, MGK and this one) and they're all very similiar/in the same vein. 

• Like 1

Tom leaving was not a smart decision! He lost so much money between the divorce and TTSAOTAAS, he had to sell the rights to his entire catalogue. He now just exploits us blink and Ava fans to buy his stuff. Nobody outside of our bubble buys Poet Anderson or his novels

Edited by Feeling_This_1

You don't find the amount of collabs odd, though? I can't really think of other rock musicians who do this amount of collabs in this short of an amount of time. 

• Like 1

This is the best time in their careers to do collabs. They weren't going to do it in their primes, then they were on hiatus, then when they came back, they only managed to make 1 album, could barely collaborate with each other! Now with Tom gone, they are able to make easy music with all these people who want their services!

Not really, who knows when these were all recorded, and Mark/Trav both have home studios and are stuck at home during quarantine. Trav is on a ridiculous amount of stuff that most people don't even know about, Mark has had a verse on 5-6 songs in what is likely a ~2 year recording window? That's cake.

• Like 1

Oliver Tree has blown up in the alternative scene the last two years. Very mainstream alternative artist currently kind of similar to twenty one pilots although nowhere near their size yet obviously. So not really surprising to me they would collaborate with him. Surprised no one here has really heard of him.

Alien Boy and Miracle Man are really good songs in my opinion. Don’t think he’s amazing, but not terrible.

Also, collabs are the least of my concerns in this era. I don’t necessarily like the artists they collaborate with but that’s a different concern. Mark and Travis are idolized by people in their twenties that are up and coming in the music scene. I think it’s cool that they’re lending themselves to people in the scene these days to help them out. Kind of wish it was more let me give you some advice on your musical direction over “yea sure I’ll do a backing vocal take on this chorus give me twenty minutes”, but whatever

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Mark and Travis are idolized by people in their twenties that are up and coming in the music scene. I think it’s cool that they’re lending themselves to people in the scene these days to help them out. 

Bingo. I think they've reached a point where they are happy to give back to the upcoming generations, and absolute worst case maybe some of that artist's fans will discover blink so it's a win/win. And if you want to say it's about money or the blink name:

1. Imagine how dumb of a person you would have to be to decline such a win/win situation for a harmless feature, much less MONEY on top of that.

2. You know people offered Tom money for the "blink name" and he sold his ENTIRE CATALOG right?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Bingo. I think they've reached a point where they are happy to give back to the upcoming generations, and absolute worst case maybe some of that artist's fans will discover blink so it's a win/win. And if you want to say it's about money or the blink name:

1. Imagine how dumb of a person you would have to be to decline such a win/win situation for a harmless feature, much less MONEY on top of that.

2. You know people offered Tom money for the "blink name" and he sold his ENTIRE CATALOG right?

Judging how much money Offspring made of selling their catalog Tom probably got a great deal. 

The thing that feels unexciting to me personally, is the sense that they are collabing with these dudes for some kind of "L.A. industry people" clout if that makes sense, rather than with the many up and coming Blink-influenced artists busting their ass in the same world that Blink came up in back in the day. It's totally true that millennial artists of all kinds of genres grew up idolizing and influenced by Blink 182, that makes me proud and I think it's really cool that this Oliver Tree guy grew up liking Blink. It's just strange that they keep working with the rando pop artists they're working with and not, ya know, alternative/punk/indie rock bands.

I can easily imagine Blink collaborating with bands like PUP, Culture Abuse, Soccer Mommy, The Sidekicks, Charly Bliss, etc. As always, I guess it just comes down to the idea that they just don't like that type of music anymore and prefer radio pop nowadays.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GuitarPunk2512 said:

I’m a total space cadet when it comes to music industry, what does it mean when an artist sells their entire catalog? 

It means they no longer own the rights to it. They still get royalties I believe but whomever bought the catalog can control how that music is sold and used. They'll give an artist a large sum of money for the catalog in hopes the licensing and commercial use, as well as sales will exceed the amount the artist was paid.

4 hours ago, Champ182 said:

It's just strange that they keep working with the rando pop artists they're working with and not, ya know, alternative/punk/indie rock bands.

I can easily imagine Blink collaborating with bands like PUP, Culture Abuse, Soccer Mommy, The Sidekicks, Charly Bliss, etc. As always, I guess it just comes down to the idea that they just don't like that type of music anymore and prefer radio pop nowadays.

Do you think it could be that those bands just don’t reach out for the collabs? I feel pop music has always been more open to collabs than the punk/indie scene which has always felt a bit more DIY if you get me? I’m not very up there with many modern bands and I actually don’t know any of those you listed haha so not sure whether that old punk DIY attitude applies to them or not.

Like I have absolutely no idea how these collabs start. I always figured it started with the labels talking to each other but that could be very very wrong. 

• Like 1