The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

11 minutes ago, Smalls said:

I’m on the right, my best friend on the left. He’s wearing marks sunglasses and when he asked if he could wear them for the pic mark said “ew no, I don’t want to get pink eye”! Haha then he said just kidding and handed him his glasses.

F89635FB-4369-4B6D-9E26-6EC12706207E.jpeg

See, ok, well I know I keep saying this and probably will continue to do so, I'm such a fan of Tom's, but this right here just adds to my impression that Mark is the most fun and friendly one of the group. That's such an awesome story!! I'm honestly a bit jealous. :D

*group/former group

• Like 1

hi @Tombomb welcome to the boards! I will never understand when people say that Cheshire Cat is a let down. I love it, I think you should give a chance to both Cheshire Cat and the EP They Came to Conquer Uranus (which isn't on spotify but you can find it on youtube) 

• Like 4

Cheshire Cat is solid. 

Welcome @Tombomb! Personally my favourite blink record is Dude Ranch, I like basically all of their stuff from the start until Neighborhoods where I liked *some* of it, not much of DED and basically bugger all since Tom left. 

When did you start getting into them? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Smalls said:

I’m on the right, my best friend on the left. He’s wearing marks sunglasses and when he asked if he could wear them for the pic mark said “ew no, I don’t want to get pink eye”! Haha then he said just kidding and handed him his glasses.

F89635FB-4369-4B6D-9E26-6EC12706207E.jpeg

Wow!! Were you an extra or how did you end up there? Didn't Trav break his arm at this shoot IIRC?

26 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Wow!! Were you an extra or how did you end up there? Didn't Trav break his arm at this shoot IIRC?

If I recall there were a lot of blink fans able to be in that video right? There was something organised that's where half the kids in that video are from lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

Yea I was haha I’m in the video during the bridge between the first chorus/second bridge. The model walks in the hallway and I’m staring at her because of her good looks and a jealous dude shoves me against the wall. Yea trav was not there that day because of his broken arm unfortunately.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Elisa said:

hi @Tombomb welcome to the boards! I will never understand when people say that Cheshire Cat is a let down. I love it, I think you should give a chance to both Cheshire Cat and the EP They Came to Conquer Uranus (which isn't on spotify but you can find it on youtube) 

Thanks! And i don't get it either. Smh I didn't even know about TCTCU. I'll have to look into this! Actually, I heard about Flyswatter today too. Like, why are these things not more well known?! 

9 hours ago, Kay said:

Cheshire Cat is solid. 

Welcome @Tombomb! Personally my favourite blink record is Dude Ranch, I like basically all of their stuff from the start until Neighborhoods where I liked *some* of it, not much of DED and basically bugger all since Tom left. 

When did you start getting into them? 

Thanks! 

I don't even know my favorite album anymore! Lol I mean, I'd have gone with Untitled before, and if I had to pick one I'd probably say that, but all the albums are great! (Except I haven't heard any DED, and not the full albums of the newer ones).

Oh, I was obsessed back from Enema and TOYPAJ. I heard Feeling This and my friend recommended the album, but I didn't listen to the whole thing until a few years later. I also lost touch when Tom left the first time. Had no clue he came back for the Neighborhood era until this year. I rekindled my love (it's still just as strong now as it was at 17)  when I saw a tweet about the TOYPAJ anniversary. I decided to revisit this. It was even better than I remembered!! I think Enema came next and the Untitled. Love them all! Then somehow I got back into Tom and have been down that rabbit hole. And now I'm looking into older and newer Blink and the other side projects.

Oh! Actually, it may have been the combo of that anniversary tweet and the new collab Mark did with The Used. I've been a fan of The Used since the beginning, and absolutely love the collab track with Mark (also like the one with Travis, but like Mark's better). So yeah, and that's  where I am now. Kinda have a soft spot for AVA, but the other stuff is good too. I missed so much!!

• Like 1

Enema and TOYPAJ definitely feel distinctly different for me. Straightaway in Anthem Part II you've got Tom singing about societal collapse and corruption in politics, there was nothing like that on Enema. You've obviously got lighter tracks later on in the album but in general it feels a lot more serious thematically than Enema.

Both absolutely outstanding albums imo, along with Dude Ranch and Cheshire Cat. On any given day I could make an argument for any of those four being my favourite album, I love them all deeply from start to finish.

Self-titled album I also love but in a different way, I would never consider it as a candidate for my favourite Blink album. It has some great songs on it (including probably one of my top 5 Blink songs Here's Your Letter) but on the whole am less keen on the "darker" vibe of the record. Although oddly I rate Boxcar's album as high if not higher than any Blink album, and that was kind of the halfway house for Tom between TOYPAJ and self-titled in terms of all the difficulties he was going through around the time.

Everything since the self-titled I basically don't consider to be on the same stratosphere as "original Blink". Few songs here and there (Wishing Well, Natives, Pretty Little Girl, Sober etc) that I like, and I do listen to all quite regularly, but don't hold it in anywhere near the same esteem as <=2003 stuff.

37 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Does anyone else think that TOYPAJ has aged a lot worse than Enema? don't get me wrong, still love it but Enema is timeless whereas TOYPAJ just gets more corny the older you get I find.

I adore it but lyrically, yeeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Does anyone else think that TOYPAJ has aged a lot worse than Enema? don't get me wrong, still love it but Enema is timeless whereas TOYPAJ just gets more corny the older you get I find.

Completely agree. The guitar riffs on that album are fun as hell though.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Smalls said:

Yea I was haha I’m in the video during the bridge between the first chorus/second bridge. The model walks in the hallway and I’m staring at her because of her good looks and a jealous dude shoves me against the wall. Yea trav was not there that day because of his broken arm unfortunately.

Wow so rad!!! This may be podcast convo worthy ffs!

4 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

I've always felt TOYPAJ was pretty corny, aside from when I was like 14 and thought it was the coolest thing ever, but I've always liked it.  It has a certain energy about it, songs are good and instrumentally some of the best. Still think it's interchangeable as their best.

What really aged poorly for me was the breakdown in Everytime I Look For You.  I remember thinking that was the hardest thing ever, now it's just kind of 'eh'

23 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

I've always felt TOYPAJ was pretty corny, aside from when I was like 14 and thought it was the coolest thing ever, but I've always liked it.  It has a certain energy about it, songs are good and instrumentally some of the best. Still think it's interchangeable as their best.

What really aged poorly for me was the breakdown in Everytime I Look For You.  I remember thinking that was the hardest thing ever, now it's just kind of 'eh'

This is the exact opposite of what I feel. Most of it is cringy, but that EILFY bridge is fantastic and still holds up.