The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

11 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

Cheshire really doesn’t get enough love.

I find myself rarely going back to it, in fact, I rarely revisit anything outside of TOYPAJ or DED. I'm not sure why, although I'm thinking, in TOYPAJ's case at least, it's a nostalgia thing. That album just hit at the right, impressionable and formative time of my life. I don't dislike any of the older stuff, I just don't have the same connection and, given the excess of other listening material, I don't have a huge draw to it. I still enjoy the occasional listen when it comes around but it's no longer a steady play through in my 30s and I think I've outgrown the relation I used to have to them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Probably because it was their first record and a lot of people became interested in Blink with Dude Ranch's release.

Can definitely hear that Cheshire influence on other bands for sure from that era, just listen to this record!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Does anyone else think that TOYPAJ has aged a lot worse than Enema? don't get me wrong, still love it but Enema is timeless whereas TOYPAJ just gets more corny the older you get I find.

I like the music better on TOYPAJ but I like the lyrics less.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tombomb said:

Thanks! And i don't get it either. Smh I didn't even know about TCTCU. I'll have to look into this! Actually, I heard about Flyswatter today too. Like, why are these things not more well known?! 

Thanks! 

I don't even know my favorite album anymore! Lol I mean, I'd have gone with Untitled before, and if I had to pick one I'd probably say that, but all the albums are great! (Except I haven't heard any DED, and not the full albums of the newer ones).

Oh, I was obsessed back from Enema and TOYPAJ. I heard Feeling This and my friend recommended the album, but I didn't listen to the whole thing until a few years later. I also lost touch when Tom left the first time. Had no clue he came back for the Neighborhood era until this year. I rekindled my love (it's still just as strong now as it was at 17)  when I saw a tweet about the TOYPAJ anniversary. I decided to revisit this. It was even better than I remembered!! I think Enema came next and the Untitled. Love them all! Then somehow I got back into Tom and have been down that rabbit hole. And now I'm looking into older and newer Blink and the other side projects.

Oh! Actually, it may have been the combo of that anniversary tweet and the new collab Mark did with The Used. I've been a fan of The Used since the beginning, and absolutely love the collab track with Mark (also like the one with Travis, but like Mark's better). So yeah, and that's  where I am now. Kinda have a soft spot for AVA, but the other stuff is good too. I missed so much!!

Quoting myself to further clarify.

I mean, yes, Enema was when I first like got into the band as a whole, but I first heard "Dammit" (must've been off the radio) in either 97 or 98, and then I soon heard it in the movie Can't Hardly Wait (which had to have been 98). 

Honestly, I don't know how or exactly when I got Enema. I don't remember waiting for release day, as I did for TOYPAJ, but I did own it soon after it was released. 

*just had to add the Dammit comment, as I've been trying for weeks to jog my memory of when I first heard it. That's the closest I've gotten...which isn't really any different than my initial guess. lol

5 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

Whoa! I didn't even know they were back to playing together. Thanks! Where did you find the info about Mark producing it?

it’s in the spotify credits. this is actually the second song they’ve released so far, including one for a tribute compilation to adam schlesinger

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ruaraidhlando45 said:

Enema and TOYPAJ definitely feel distinctly different for me. Straightaway in Anthem Part II you've got Tom singing about societal collapse and corruption in politics, there was nothing like that on Enema. You've obviously got lighter tracks later on in the album but in general it feels a lot more serious thematically than Enema.

@ruaraidhlando45 Hmm. interesting that folks (or was it just you both times? lol i don't know names well right now) find the 2 albums so different! This is probably going to affect my perceptions now.

But in regards to the Anthems, the first one is about wanting to get away from your parents "Mom/Dad slavedrive song", and I equate that to the wanting to blame adults (parents as well as all adults of society) that govern the kids "kids can't vote, adults elect them". That's where I was coming from. 

As far as sound...guess I need to listen to these both again! :D

10 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Does anyone else think that TOYPAJ has aged a lot worse than Enema? don't get me wrong, still love it but Enema is timeless whereas TOYPAJ just gets more corny the older you get I find.

@dan (ok, just seeing if this is the right user. i hope it is!) To Dan and the rest of you tagged (and just joining). Here are my thoughts on the aging. Well, I mean, with the thought that we actually age and become adults, I kind of think BOTH have aged lyrically. I'm personally noticing, as a female, the like strong issues the lyrics of Enema (especially) invoke with girls and how we're trouble. I feel like that's a bit unfair and a childish/teenage mentality to think all girls are such and such way. Just the general vibe. The whole concept is very teenage hormone driven.

That all being said, it certainly takes me back to that time in my life and will always be memorable and timeless in THAT sense.

I was recalling more of TOYPAJ. Corny?? I dunno. I don't really think of either as "corny". Has it aged?? Well, like I said before, listening to it again this year after so many years break, it brought back the love for the band. So, in that sense, it's also always going to be timeless for me. However, I realized that pretty much everything past "Stay Together for the Kids", I never really listened to all that much. I consider the latter half weaker Blink. Just IMO. 

I mean, perhaps "cringy" is a more apt word. Although it's kinda now more enjoyable, when it first came out, "The Rock Show" was so like cliche and well, maybe "corny" to me. (yes, I was in the minority) 

And from Enema, like I said above, lyrics like "need a girl that I can train", lol, are kinda cringy. Don't get me wrong! I GET where it's coming from, but it just doesn't fit in society today (or how it even should be??) Oh, and then "All the Small Things". Seriously, I mean, I like it now for nostalgia sake as well as one kickass video, but it's SOOO CORNY if there ever was one! lol

But, the think about Blink, I think, is that they intentionally write these silly or funny songs. I don't know that something meant to be that way is actually corny. I feel corny is like when it or someone is TRYING to be serious but say "corny" things. :P Just my two cents folks!

Sorry for the novel of a post! I am just really passionate about this atm and need to get some of these things out! Sorry (not sorry). ;)

"so sorry, it's over!!" :P

@Kay

@Chewy030

@Jan's Plan

@thongrider

@Cheerios4u98

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jan's Plan said:

Neighborhoods actually aged the best, oddly.

Dude Ranch gets better every year.

Enema and Self Titled are timeless, but have to be in the mood.

TOYPAJ is great but have to find reason to listen to.

Strings is still the greatest song ever, since its inception.

200.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

my bias is completely interpersonal. of course it's not as slick and as finely-assembled as most of their later work. but for me at 17, cheshire cat literally defined the latter half of high school. and nothing can change the emotions i feel when i listen to it today, even the worst of the tracks on it. every note means something. which seems to be common with blink. people say the same thing about enema or untitled if that's the "high school record" for them.

it's been said many times by many people that the genre of music you fall in love with as a teenager is the shit you'll love your whole life, no matter what else you explore later and love later on. there's something to that. all the 90s punk i fell for at 15, 16, 17... i'll always listen to that shit. even though i've fallen for hundreds of bands in dozens of genres since.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, boxelder said:

it’s in the spotify credits. this is actually the second song they’ve released so far, including one for a tribute compilation to adam schlesinger

It’s was recorded around the My Dinosaur Life sessions with Mark, originally meant for the Twlight soundtrack but their label at the time Columbia shelved it and recently they must have regained the rights to the song!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hyland said:

It’s was recorded around the My Dinosaur Life sessions with Mark, originally meant for the Twlight soundtrack but their label at the time Columbia shelved it and recently they must have regained the rights to the song!

I was about to say because if he did this recently we would have to hold him, Matt, and Travis hostage in his studio to record the next blink album. 

I wasn’t sure if the band re-recorded the song to update it to their current sound, but your comment with Mark being involved confirms they literally released the original version. Kinda disappointed it’s not “MCS in 2020” levels of new but it’s one of their best efforts in a long while. My Dinosaur Life is my favorite MCS album so that may explain it!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hyland said:

reaaaally! where did you see that? (not that i have no reason to believe you, haha, cause it definitely sounds like that era)

Ok, I want to amend my previous statement on TOYPAJ. I still kinda think the second half is a less favorite for me. However, I really like Please Take Me Home. It's also a great ender!...

But, between Enema and TOYPAJ, I guess I prefer Enema. :D

• Like 2

9 hours ago, boxelder said:

reaaaally! where did you see that? (not that i have no reason to believe you, haha, cause it definitely sounds like that era)

On the YouTube upload of the song the top comment is someone who went to Justin’s solo tour VIP and said he played it for them during that and explained where the song came from

• Like 1

So...checked out DED tonight (as said in the other thread) and now I'm finishing listening to Chesire Cat- both are good, but omg, CC is so punking fun!! ;) (on Touchdown Boy right now) This album is definitely going to get a repeat!!

p.s. not sure where it's best to ask this, but do we know who runs the site's Twitter account?? Fyi, it was from Twitter that I found out about this forum, so thanks so much for that!! :D

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 2:16 PM, Elisa said:

hi @Tombomb welcome to the boards! I will never understand when people say that Cheshire Cat is a let down. I love it, I think you should give a chance to both Cheshire Cat and the EP They Came to Conquer Uranus (which isn't on spotify but you can find it on youtube) 

this was the post I was looking for. I had the EP open earlier, but didn't get a chance to listen...and I'm only now finding the name on this device. If it's not too late, I'll try it after CC. I looked up Flyswatter (I was told about it on another site) but the quality is pretty bad so I gave up. Might be better versions out there, but I didn't feel like digging. lol