The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

5 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Every time I see people whine about new stuff they don't like, I wonder if there are Smash Mouth/Chumbawumba/Sugar Ray forums where people lose their shit over song writing credits and their albums never living up to their late 90's releases?

Just now, Ghent said:

These same guys have been making the same lame posts for years now...Isn't it about time to move on?

"they've abandoned skiba's talent in favor of a coterie of LA songwriters, which is often the last resort for musicians formerly capable of writing their own material."

Fuck me.

It's because someone asked for Nine opinions. 

• Like 6
  • Crab 1

30 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Every time I see people whine about new stuff they don't like, I wonder if there are Smash Mouth/Chumbawumba/Sugar Ray forums where people lose their shit over song writing credits and their albums never living up to their late 90's releases?

25 minutes ago, Ghent said:

These same guys have been making the same lame posts for years now...Isn't it about time to move on?

was asked for NINE opinions fellas 🤷 also, the reason this board exists as opposed to the bygone 90s rockers you mention is because blink's output was genuinely better quality, was wildly influential, and has simply aged better.

• Like 2

I'd understand if most of the naysayers were comparing Skiba era to Dude Ranch/EOTS/Untitled...fine, music opinion is some of the most subjective opinions you can have.  But the way DED and Neighborhoods is jacked off to around here Cali/Nine is trashed is what annoys me. 

Tom and Mark are BOTH guilty of plopping absolute turds of songs on both of those releases, songs that aren't even comparable to anything that gets whined about with Skiba.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, boxelder said:

altogether though, i wish the band had simply stopped after tom left. each successive album and collaborative single is a slap in the face to their legacy

Their legacy hasn’t taken a single hit this whole time. Just because you and a few others don’t like the music doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things.

And you know you can just not listen to the new music right? Wishing the band had stopped just because you don’t like the new music is such a selfish take when there are countless numbers of people out there that thoroughly enjoy the new music. 

• Like 6

The whole idea of preserving your "legacy" by not releasing anything is retarded. Had the band never came back after Untitled their legacy would be exactly the same as it is now. Only difference is these boards wouldn't be here and no one would be talking about them.

I like when Mark or Tom said in UC2 that they would keep releasing albums even if people used them as toilet paper.

This is blink-182. not some kind of pretentious outfit trying to impress the Brooklyn Vegan

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Ghent said:

The whole idea of preserving your "legacy" by not releasing anything is retarded. Had the band never came back after Untitled their legacy would be exactly the same as it is now. Only difference is these boards wouldn't be here and no one would be talking about them.

I like when Mark or Tom said in UC2 that they would keep releasing albums even if people used them as toilet paper.

This is blink-182. not some kind of pretentious outfit trying to impress the Brooklyn Vegan

you frequently go to this brooklyn vegan thing, is this your only joke?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

I'd argue their legacy has improved if anything. They're relevant, active, and added another 5 years of shows like this for people to talk about:

Yeah, before Skiba joined their legacy was quickly becoming that of a band that delays everything endlessly and doesn't keep promises to fans.

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

I'm sure Chumbawumba fans got all their anger out in 1997.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I'd understand if most of the naysayers were comparing Skiba era to Dude Ranch/EOTS/Untitled...fine, music opinion is some of the most subjective opinions you can have.  But the way DED and Neighborhoods is jacked off to around here Cali/Nine is trashed is what annoys me. 

Tom and Mark are BOTH guilty of plopping absolute turds of songs on both of those releases, songs that aren't even comparable to anything that gets whined about with Skiba.

That makes no sense. 

• Crab 1

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

Not even the same thing man

Been looking into the true lyric meanings of many of these songs ive loved for years. Heh! Its funny what actually led me to the link/topic i shared in the other thread really had nothing to do with each other. Actually, i guess i misheard a lyric, and was a bit disappointed by what it really was. Lol I don't want to be explicit, but I was hoping for a sexier meaning of the lyric, when actually, it was a point of disgust. I'm like, "but that's not necessarily a bad thing!" Lol (sorry, not going to share specifics on that one ;)

Uhh, but so then I found this. It seems pretty legit. Is it legit? I am enjoying reading the explanations by the band members for all of these songs. :D

http://say281backwards.tripod.com/blink182/id7.html 

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

And you know you can just not listen to the new music right? Wishing the band had stopped just because you don’t like the new music is such a selfish take

this. my mp3 library sheds no tears for those who like the newer stuff. enjoy! i'll be over in the corner spinning they came to conquer uranus on my hi-fi for the five-thousandth time. it's not like a new release vaporizes an earlier one out of existence.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tombomb said:

Been looking into the true lyric meanings of many of these songs ive loved for years. Heh! Its funny what actually led me to the link/topic i shared in the other thread really had nothing to do with each other. Actually, i guess i misheard a lyric, and was a bit disappointed by what it really was. Lol I don't want to be explicit, but I was hoping for a sexier meaning of the lyric, when actually, it was a point of disgust. I'm like, "but that's not necessarily a bad thing!" Lol (sorry, not going to share specifics on that one ;)

Uhh, but so then I found this. It seems pretty legit. Is it legit? I am enjoying reading the explanations by the band members for all of these songs. :D

http://say281backwards.tripod.com/blink182/id7.html 

Not sure if it’s legit or not. Just look at the discrepancy on what they said Adam’s Song was about. 

For the people who love to claim the skiba era has “ruined blinks legacy” lets have a look at something Ry posted on the twitter.

From my count 32 people (One is blocked from my view) either commented or retweeted this with their top 3 blink albums. 9 different people voted a skiba era album in their top 3 whereas neighbourhoods is only represented 8 times with the rest being solely made up of classic-era albums. So if anything this shows that the first reunion era is less appreciated then the skiba era and could definitely be considered the “legacy killer” as opposed to the new era.*

Pretty safe to say the band is going fine, they shouldn’t have broken up just because  few people on here don’t like the music and their legacy is perfectly intact. 

* edit: i should clarify that I don’t consider this era a legacy killer. Not at all. Just that the skiba era isn’t either. The legacy is fine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

For the people who love to claim the skiba era has “ruined blinks legacy” lets have a look at something Ry posted on the twitter.

From my count 32 people (One is blocked from my view) either commented or retweeted this with their top 3 blink albums. 9 different people voted a skiba era album in their top 3 whereas neighbourhoods is only represented 8 times with the rest being solely made up of classic-era albums. So if anything this shows that the first reunion era is less appreciated then the skiba era and could definitely be considered the “legacy killer” as opposed to the new era.

Pretty safe to say the band is going fine, they shouldn’t have broken up just because  few people on here don’t like the music and their legacy is perfectly intact. 

Well using emojis to vote is definitely appealing to those specific fans sad enough to vote for that.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jan's Plan said:

Well using emojis to vote is definitely appealing to those specific fans sad enough to vote for that.

Weak attempt at deflection Jan. Why are they sad for voting? What’s the difference between us posting our opinions here and them on twitter? Does that mean you’re a sad case every time you post your opinion on here?