The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

26 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

For the people who love to claim the skiba era has “ruined blinks legacy” lets have a look at something Ry posted on the twitter.

From my count 32 people (One is blocked from my view) either commented or retweeted this with their top 3 blink albums. 9 different people voted a skiba era album in their top 3 whereas neighbourhoods is only represented 8 times with the rest being solely made up of classic-era albums. So if anything this shows that the first reunion era is less appreciated then the skiba era and could definitely be considered the “legacy killer” as opposed to the new era.

Pretty safe to say the band is going fine, they shouldn’t have broken up just because  few people on here don’t like the music and their legacy is perfectly intact. 

Well if THIRTY TWO people voted, it must be fact! I didn't check out this tweet or any of the 32 others but it sounds like you are combining two albums vs one album.  Even if you aren't there are so many reasons why this could be and it has nothing to do with the quality of music.

Also, I think that's Ryan's go-to photo of "proof" that Blink is still relevant which is from the Enema tour...a tour completely based on nostalgia and being 20 years old.   

Sorry, but twenty years from now, this era will be looked at exactly as boxelder said: "a coterie of LA songwriters, which is often the last resort for musicians formerly capable of writing their own material." If you think they are so relevant take a look at this message board - it's dead besides a few handful of people. Oh Blinkflakes, you really need to come up with some better arguments. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BlinkFloyd said:

Well if THIRTY TWO people voted, it must be fact! I didn't check out this tweet or any of the 32 others but it sounds like you are combining two albums vs one album.  Even if you aren't there are so many reasons why this could be and it has nothing to do with the quality of music.

Also, I think that's Ryan's go-to photo of "proof" that Blink is still relevant which is from the Enema tour...a tour completely based on nostalgia and being 20 years old.   

Sorry, but twenty years from now, this era will be looked at exactly as boxelder said: "a coterie of LA songwriters, which is often the last resort for musicians formerly capable of writing their own material." If you think they are so relevant take a look at this message board - it's dead besides a few handful of people. Oh Blinkflakes, you really need to come up with some better arguments. 

Well thirty two people is still more than we get in an average discussion here yet the people who dislike the skiba era on here act like the 8-10 people who support their opinions are the only ones that matter. It’s not the majority. 

And I’m comparing the eras, it’s not my fault Tom could only record one album in 5+ years.

You can’t just ignore other opinions because they don’t support your views. You can’t just decide there are “other reasons” people aren’t voting in your favour just because they don’t support your opinions. I also never commented on the quality of music just the opinion that this era of blink is “killing the legacy” which obviously isn’t the case outside of a few posters on this forum.

The boards are way quieter because kids these days use social media. It means nothing on the quality of the music or respective of the bands legacy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

Weak attempt at deflection Jan. Why are they sad for voting? What’s the difference between us posting our opinions here and them on twitter? Does that mean you’re a sad case every time you post your opinion on here? 

Because it's appealing to little kids much like California era, biased polling

• Crab 1

To me, Nine is the worst blink album and California the second worst, but the live shows do sell out and funny enough the Nine tour show was better than the Cali one. They got creative putting Travis front and center on the stage.

I don't care if they use writers. I'd prefer they don't, especially if it meant Tom coming back, but Tom wasn't coming back either way. He had to quit because he can't commit to anything and has time for nothing. They went on hiatus in 2005, barely recorded in the same studio for Neighborhoods, made DED in the studio in less than a week, and then 3 years later he still has no time.  

Losing the most important member in a trio and still having success actually adds to their legacy, or at least it does for Mark and Travis. 

Edited by Feeling_This_1

12 minutes ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

To me, Nine is the worst blink album and California the second worst, but the live shows do sell out and funny enough the Nine tour show was better than the Cali one. They got creative putting Travis front and center on the stage.

I don't care if they use writers. I'd prefer they don't, especially if it meant Tom coming back, but Tom wasn't coming back either way. He had to quit because he can't commit to anything and has time for nothing. They went on hiatus in 2005, barely recorded in the same studio for Neighborhoods, made DED in the studio in less than a week, and then 3 years later he still has no time.  

Losing the most important member in a trio and still having success actually adds to their legacy, or at least it does for Mark and Travis. 

They could have mic'd up a lawnmower and I'm sure it would have sold, they're living off their name entirely and everyone's childhood's/teenyears being wrapped up in blink, imagine if they released California under the name +44.

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

Just an old poster reminiscing(?) here but this blink section was absolutely dead before the blink reunion. Prior to 2009 there literally was a handful of posts in this section a week at best. Is that what you want boxelder? If blink died after untitled, do you really think you would be here talking about them today? Or after Neighborhoods? 

An “intact” legacy would probably equal $13 target t-shirts with poser Nirvana type shirt wearers.

What is this super pop punk legend legacy you fantasize about going to bring you in the end? An era of fake fans that eventually moves on to something new?

We’re here today. Our band is making music. You don’t have to enjoy it all, but while you’re here posting all the time you might try to get into it? At least respect it? The alternative is almost certainly a dead message board and fake fans trying to look cool on Instagram. Showing off that they’re into some quirky band that peaked in 2003.

Lighten up people. There’s enough bad shit going on in the world without you shitting on things you used to love.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Tombomb said:

P.s. I don't believe I've ever heard "Don't Tell Me It's Over", but i love these lyrics! :P

"Guys like to run, chicks like to yell you see
Guys hate to fight, girls think its therapy"

Oh, ok. It turns out I have heard this, but I don't think it's on my album, so I'm not sure how or when I heard it! Lol

4 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

Not sure if it’s legit or not. Just look at the discrepancy on what they said Adam’s Song was about. 

Funny, i skipped that part when i first read through since i heard the explanation before, but i did read it for this post.

So, Actually, I've read that that was what it was really about, or at least the main part of it. There was the "juice in the hall" bit that was like Mark's experience and maybe another line in there something from like Tom's life, but the suicide letter thing I've heard before. I believe it was on Songfacts site.

4 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

For the people who love to claim the skiba era has “ruined blinks legacy” lets have a look at something Ry posted on the twitter.

From my count 32 people (One is blocked from my view) either commented or retweeted this with their top 3 blink albums. 9 different people voted a skiba era album in their top 3 whereas neighbourhoods is only represented 8 times with the rest being solely made up of classic-era albums. So if anything this shows that the first reunion era is less appreciated then the skiba era and could definitely be considered the “legacy killer” as opposed to the new era.*

Pretty safe to say the band is going fine, they shouldn’t have broken up just because  few people on here don’t like the music and their legacy is perfectly intact. 

* edit: i should clarify that I don’t consider this era a legacy killer. Not at all. Just that the skiba era isn’t either. The legacy is fine.

When everyone that follows blink-182online on twitter is a part of the KansasKrew™️, it does not surprise me there would be a few hooligans slinging skiba albums.

So, saw this shared on another site. Oh my heart! So nice to see and hear Mark smiling and laughing. :D I'm guessing this is older though, because isn't the description the name of a +44 song?? 

lol But like, I couldn't even hear what he thought was so bad/funny, because he was laughing so much! Heh! I actually thought it sounded pretty good! :D

https://youtu.be/QdsUMFM3waE

Oh, is there a way to embed videos?

• Love 1

37 minutes ago, Tombomb said:

Funny, i skipped that part when i first read through since i heard the explanation before, but i did read it for this post.

So, Actually, I've read that that was what it was really about, or at least the main part of it. There was the "juice in the hall" bit that was like Mark's experience and maybe another line in there something from like Tom's life, but the suicide letter thing I've heard before. I believe it was on Songfacts site.

The discrepancy I was referring to was that Tom stated it was about a letter Mark got in an email about a kid who committed suicide. Mark said he read in a magazine 

54 minutes ago, Tombomb said:

So, saw this shared on another site. Oh my heart! So nice to see and hear Mark smiling and laughing. :D I'm guessing this is older though, because isn't the description the name of a +44 song?? 

lol But like, I couldn't even hear what he thought was so bad/funny, because he was laughing so much! Heh! I actually thought it sounded pretty good! :D

https://youtu.be/QdsUMFM3waE

Oh, is there a way to embed videos?

That video is classic Hoppus - What a beautiful man

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Diddy Faplord said:

The discrepancy I was referring to was that Tom stated it was about a letter Mark got in an email about a kid who committed suicide. Mark said he read in a magazine 

Ohhh! Ok, I c. Awe, what a shame! Hmm...

7 hours ago, Jan's Plan said:

Well using emojis to vote is definitely appealing to those specific fans sad enough to vote for that.

Soooo, guess I'm a sad fan then, because i voted. :P For the record though, i did not vote any Skiba albums...but I also haven't heard them yet either. 😆

3 hours ago, NotNow said:

When everyone that follows blink-182online on twitter is a part of the KansasKrew™️, it does not surprise me there would be a few hooligans slinging skiba albums.

What's KansasKrww? 

3 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Absolutely not IMO. I really don’t think they sat there with the label and said “Ok this song is so shitty, let’s follow it up with this troll line 50 second song that asks if the audience thinks this one is better than the torture we just put them through?” 

I guess our opinions differ then. 

59 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Absolutely not IMO. I really don’t think they sat there with the label and said “Ok this song is so shitty, let’s follow it up with this troll line 50 second song that asks if the audience thinks this one is better than the torture we just put them through?” 

Yeah I wouldn't give them credit to put that much coherent thought into one of their songs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1