The blink 182 general discussion topic

Aria

18 hours ago, Ry-Bread said:

I'd argue their legacy has improved if anything. They're relevant, active, and added another 5 years of shows like this for people to talk about:

KSbmCsa.jpg

The guy in the red hat is just looking at you like "Really bro" expression on his face lol. 

• Haha 1

You act like Tom is some kind of viable asset to tap into. He remains a lost cause. Out of his mind, can't stay focused on one thing at a time, takes forever to deliver (if he delivers at all).

Besides the music (what little we got), his time in blink post reunion was a manipulative farce and an embarrassment.

It just doesn't appear like he will be returning to Earth any time soon, as far as his mental health goes. It's sad, but it is what it is. Tom in blink right now would be a joke.

• Like 2

Tom screwed mark and trav over for years, so they can do whatever they want in my eyes, release a dubstep album for all i care lol

Nothing will tarnish their legacy musically wise, if its not your style or taste, just flip on enema or untitled and enjoy the good times :)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, boxelder said:

the band is a marriage of he and mark's sensibilities, and a celebration of what they loved, and their friendship and history. without him, there's a lack of soul present.

This is the crux of everything. Blink is Mark and Tom, it really is as simple as that. Their chemistry, shared history, how they complement each others strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, their vision over what blink was became more disparate over time.  Ultimately - Tom was selfish, disingenuous, petulant and childish. He forced Mark and Travis's hand by being so disrespectful and dysfunctional. Of course they want to continue doing what they love and have toiled for. However, that relationship is integral to what Blink is,  in fact, it's the essence of blink.

Of course Blink are doing commerically well, and I think some good music has come out of this era  (Cynical, San Diego,  Pin The Grenade) , which everyone has a right to enjoy or feel however they feel about it. To me though , the defining word of this era is hollow. The defining word of the reunion era is dysfunction  (yet it did produce a genuine reunion tour and a disjointed LP and EP, which had some fantastic moments). Mark and Tom's chemistry/relationship, even at its weakest, still produced relevant, genuine and memorable songs - as well as some clangers.

TLDR : Blink = Mark and Tom - However, Tom forced Mark and Travis's hand, and they made their best of a shitty situation 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, vic vinegar said:

The only people I've ever heard who actually regard blink-183 as part of blink's true legacy are either Alk3 fans or they post on here. Like almost every other fan i talk to jumped overboard with Tom.

interesting the idea of splitting the before matt and after matt joining as two different things

blink is just not blink without tom

too much of a fundamental in the blink dna

most of the things that make blink so iconic musicly wise is all from tom 

• Like 1

Just now, Mard_Smartiest_Blinkfan said:

interesting the idea of splitting the before matt and after matt joining as two different things

blink is just not blink without tom

too much of a fundamental in the blink dna

most of the things that make blink so iconic musicly wise is all from tom 

Yeah i totally agree. Honestly blink occasionally pops up in my conversations with people and ever since Cali came out it's literally the same story, "blink isn't blink without Tom."

49 minutes ago, swells17 said:

what do you guys think will happen when tom dOes finally come back? (which he's said he would love too one day in multiple interviews). Does Skiba just get the boot? 4 man lineup? Imagine a song with Tom and Skiba tossing lyrics back and forth lol

IF Tom comes back, it would be a 4 price unless Matt says he’s out to focus on trio. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swells17 said:

what do you guys think will happen when tom dOes finally come back? (which he's said he would love too one day in multiple interviews). Does Skiba just get the boot? 4 man lineup? Imagine a song with Tom and Skiba tossing lyrics back and forth lol

Wow! I really doubt he'll come back though, or that they would take him back. I'm not sure they really should! I mean, they can still be friends (maybe? And I just read this thought made somewhere), but I don't think Mark or Travis could trust Tom in the band again. 

I dunno!! It's too depressing. I'm stepping out of this conversation now. 

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 10:49 PM, Tombomb said:

Oh, is there a way to embed videos?

if you paste the link and then hit enter to kick your cursor to the next line, the system automatically creates the embed (if there are no problems on youtube's end). if you want spaces between multiple clips be sure to hit enter again before pasting another one, or they will display edge-to-edge with no margins or room for text in between. you can also use "hidden contents" if you want people to have to click to reveal the videos. this is useful if you have many clips to post at once but wish to spare us a post that is like miles tall.

15 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

if you paste the link and then hit enter to kick your cursor to the next line, the system automatically creates the embed (if there are no problems on youtube's end). if you want spaces between multiple clips be sure to hit enter again before pasting another one, or they will display edge-to-edge with no margins or room for text in between. you can also use "hidden contents" if you want people to have to click to reveal the videos. this is useful if you have many clips to post at once but wish to spare us a post that is like miles tall.

Spoiler

Ok, the "spoiler" seems to work. How about this?

Oh. Awesome! Thanks! Oh, I was thinking about a thanks emojjii, but I think the like works in most cases...but what's the crab thing? What's the reference?

8 hours ago, swells17 said:

i think tom will be back in no time really, likely as soon as a potential rock and roll hall of fame induction sometime in the mid-2020s. after that i think we’ll see a big greatest hits tour and they’ll likely pick up where they left off with DED, though it will likely be the same unusual lack of chemistry like last time. then i see an alternating pattern where skiba rejoins in the periods tom won’t tour.

i think we’ll get one more album out of skiba before they all say “okay what are we doing here?”

• Like 2